Overclock.net banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,
I'm still deciding on which processor I want to get for my 'too long put off' new rig. At the moment I am looking at either E5200 or a Q6600 / Q8200 / Q8300. I'm not really sure which one I should get. I definitely could use the money I would save with buying the E5200 instead of the quad but in the long run I think I would save money getting a quad and not having to upgrade to that when games become more optimized for quads this year. This computer is going to be used mostly for gaming.
Thanks,
EFR

P.S. cant afford any more than $200 for the processor

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
It really depends on where you would put the extra money if you got the e5200. If you can afford it, get the quad.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Used q6600 would be your best bet.

• Rep+
Reactions: EFR450

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Or save up more money and buy the Q9550.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
another voice for the Q6600. this chip is a monster, even a B3 (SLU9M i think) can oc up to 3.2ghz from 2.4ghz and compete with all sub 300$ retails cpus right now. If you manage to get a GO (SLACR) stepping, you may be able to reach up to 3.6, or 3.8ghz on air. Some people here managed to get theirs to 4.01ghz on water.

Keep in mind that the Q6600 you buy will have to be used because i think they still retail around 190$ to 200$. Used, you may get one for VERy cheap. (140-180$)

My advice is, find a trusted seller here (Cyberdruid, im looking at you. he sold me my Q6600) and purchase a Q6600 from them. there is a LOT of people on this forum that have this chip and they are ALL very happy with it (exept the B3 crowd like me that WISH we had a GO instead for the extra 800mhz
)

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFR450 View Post
So what stepping am I looking for if I buy it used?
thanks
G0 would be much easier to get and they OC higher. The lower the VID the better. My CPU VID is 1.200v and I will OC it soon. G0 Max temp is also higher at 71C.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I was looking some more at CPUs tonight and remembered about the Phenom IIs. I don't have either my CPU or mobo for my new build yet so I was curious if this move would be the smarter one than the ones in my sig rig. Any input?
Thanks
Edit: only interested in quad cores now

1 - 16 of 16 Posts