Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks!

I intend to buy the thermaltake core x5 case, since it features ample space for watercooling and seems to have a great airflow as well. I noticed that a 200mm fan can be positioned as intake. I would like to know if you have a specific fan to suggest. I do not care that much about leds and lights. I care most about performance and silence. You may suggest rgb ones of course for those who might be interested.

What about the Noctua 200mm fan? I imagine it is high quality like most noctua products but the 5v variant confuses me? Why does Noctua offer it in both 12v and 5v variants?

I am looking forward to receiving your replies!

Thanks in Advance!

·
Meep
5,592 Posts
Took keep it short, none of them, they're all awful, not even the Noctua is worth it.

Stick to 140mm fans they're just way better, the Silent Wings 3 140mm are great, among others.

·
Premium Member
27,113 Posts
What Gilles3000 said. I don't know of any 200mm fans that are really good. 2x 140mm fans will more more air quieter than 1x 200mm fan will.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I think the voltage variants are industrial/server vs consumer.

The 200mm is coming back into fashion, although there still remains few to choose from. I have the Noctua 200mm, mainly because I couldn’t fit two 140mm. The 200mm size is good if you have unimpeded air flow, as it has low static pressure. (If I’m remembering my types correctly) I cleared my air path and it works great, and is almost silent, even up close. Besides it was a swap out for a pre installed cooler master 200, that was garbage, loud and pushed no air.

If you have space for two 140mm, I’d go for that, as the 200mm isn’t cheap, otherwise with clear airways, it’s a perfectly viable alternative.

Edit:
Regarding the 200mm mentioned as being louder than 140mm.
This might be the case with other 200mm fans but the Noctua is my quietest fan, and I have 120 and 140 to compare against.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,815 Posts
All 200mm fans are crap when it comes to static pressure and as someone who tried everything on the market before the Noctua 200mm came out i speak from personal experience
Buy two 120mm or 140mm fans instead its a much better option

·
Tetrapyloctomist
1,708 Posts
Thermaltake Cores are very, very restrictive; the grills are crap, the slap-on filters have tiny holes; mixed together? With a 200 fan? Don't even try.

I don't know what you want it for, what components you're using, what cooling you're using, etc., but! If you don't mind spending a few extra bucks? Fashion a 180 fan mount, buy an AP182; if you just have to have a large fan. They do great, but for millennial/sensitive/i don't even know what to complain about next kind of people? They're kinda loud.

In the off chance you 'downgrade' to 140s, i'd get Thermalright 143SQ for intakes.

If you care about pretty colors and/or have other sensitivities? To be honest, the percentage variance is so small for most "trendy" fans, it's not even worth fussing about it*. Buy the one you find prettiest and you'll be fine.
(am talking about 'x' vs 'y' fan, not about airflow inside your case)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So you' re not suggesting the case at all? I currently have the Phanteks Evolv ATX, and I was considering the x5 for better airflow....

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guys I don't have to have a 200mm fan. I was asking for your opinion since I intend to move to a case that supports it. And having a room fan blowing on my pc is not a viable option. Thanks anyway..

·
Premium Member
27,113 Posts
So you' re not suggesting the case at all? I currently have the Phanteks Evolv ATX, and I was considering the x5 for better airflow....
I will be surprised if you would be happy with a Thermaltake case after having a Phanteks case, especially after having used Evolv ATX. Have you heard about the soon to be released Evolv X? Phantkeks increased the spacing around front panel for 3 times more front intake area and additional top venting for 5 times as much venting. Attached image gives you an idea of what it is.
Here is link to video of it from Computex 2018.

Last part of video is about up coming Eclipse P600 which also looks like it will be nice.

Attachments

·
Registered
448 Posts
I had TT Core x9 case in past .
I can tell you , the stock 20cm TT Pure fan is suprisingly good. It can pull large ammount of air through the front mesh and filter.
I had NZXT 20cm and CM Megaflow 20cm also , but the stock TT was the best performing.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
I can tell you , the stock 20cm TT Pure fan is suprisingly good. It can pull large ammount of air through the front mesh and filter.
I had NZXT 20cm and CM Megaflow 20cm also , but the stock TT was the best performing.
I still have a Thermaltake Armor Revo+ and you're right the 200mm TT fan does appear to produce some airflow but it might only be because I have a Silverstone SST-AP182 as an exhaust fan in the back roof position.

·
Premium Member
27,113 Posts
Could you tell us what decent pressure rated 140mm fans you have used? Would be nice to know what your are basing your statements about how good the TT 200mm fans are.

I still have a Thermaltake Armor Revo+ and you're right the 200mm TT fan does appear to produce some airflow but it might only be because I have a Silverstone SST-AP182 as an exhaust fan in the back roof position.
SST-AP182 is quite good. It makes good static pressure and had decent airflow. Much better than others.

Many companies using 180-200mm case fans don't even publish their specifications.
@Uroborous
The stock case fans in our Evolv ATX are some of the best, especially for stock case fans. I wish Phanteks sold them as an accessory. Instead the closest we can get is PH-F140MP which is same impeller with a 1600rpm PWM motor.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@Uroborous
The stock case fans in our Evolv ATX are some of the best, especially for stock case fans. I wish Phanteks sold them as an accessory. Instead the closest we can get is PH-F140MP which is same impeller with a 1600rpm PWM motor.
they are pretty decent when it comes to performance but they are noisy for my taste.

·
Premium Member
27,113 Posts
they are pretty decent when it comes to performance but they are noisy for my taste.
They don't start being audible until above 950-1000rpm and you shouldn't need to be running them that fast unless CPU and GPU are at 100% load. Makes me wonder what your system is .. GPU, CPU cooler and case fan setup .. and are PCIe back slot covers removed?

·
Tetrapyloctomist
1,708 Posts
My apologies for missing your post :)

I.. don't understand the Phanteks craze; we have certain people pushing them like crazy in each and every thread, even though they are the same users that will advise drilling fronts and rears, replacing fronts altogether, etc. etc. There's even a "modder store" selling replacement fronts. How "great" can a case be if you gotta drill the front out so as for your PC to breathe?
(and frankly, how can people not.. see that? I mean i don't know, honestly)
I find them overpriced for what they are which isn't necessarily an issue; if i like something enough, i'll get it even though i know i'm getting ripped off, that's O.K. But as stated, i also find them rather lacking? insufficient?
It's hype. They managed to get their name up there with some pretty good products (not cases) and they're milking it through. Plus, it's the pretty lights era; the expensive Phanteks cases are an RGB enthusiast's wet dream, which explains a lot, but that's looks, not function.
Which brings me to the basics:

The choice of chassis depends on:
- what you want to do (air, water, both).
- how 'demanding' you are (be it in OCD, in wanting to reach very high OCs, in needing exceptional airflow because you live in a very hot place/ need restrictive filtering because pets, etc. etc.).
- how willing you are to pay extra, so as to improve on the case if need be; not talking about "modz" here, nothing to do with aesthetics.
- and what kind of budget you have.

As mentioned in my previous post, barring some overly demanding setups, most things will do, or can be made to. Including the Phanteks you mention; as long as you grasp what you're buying (and why), there's no wrong choice in any of this :)

Now in as far as the Core X5? You can use it just fine so no, you don't have to switch, not necessarily anyway. Just, like i said, keep in mind it's a bit restrictive, plan your intakes accordingly.
Would i personally use it? No.
- For water cooling, you get either hot air recycling/blowing inside the case, or negative pressure, which not only has reduced performance, but also makes the case become a dust magnet. Plus, it's restrictive.
- For air cooling, there are much, much better cases out there. And with a much better quality.
But that's me; if you're good with it, stay where you are.

·
Registered
29 Posts
When I was thinking about modding my old case, I found that not only 180mm fans could fit into my case, but they also outperform 200mm fans, yet, even 180mm fans apparently block my side panel's sliding rails, so I had to rethink about 140mm fans :(
as of now, 200mm fans are outperformed by these 180mm fans:
SilverStone AP181
SilverStone AP182
drawback - no pwm (3pin connector) ...

·
Registered
448 Posts
Could you tell us what decent pressure rated 140mm fans you have used? Would be nice to know what your are basing your statements about how good the TT 200mm fans are.
I had many fans in past few years . If u ask only 140mm; I had these :
Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm
Phanteks PH-F140SP
Akasa Apache / Akasa Viper
Noiseblocker eLoop B14-PS
BQ PW2 / BQ SW3 HighSpeed
Noctua NF-A15 PWM
Thermalright TY 147A
I never said TT 20cm has better pressure then 140mm decent fans ,im just saying the TT 20cm fan is pretty good for case fan .Not as good as Silverstone Ap181 /182 ,but much cheaper .

1 - 20 of 32 Posts