Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the build as it stands. Just need to purchase case, motherboard, and ram.

Here's what i have so far....
CPU: 2500k-PURCHASED
Case: NZXT Vulcan
Mobo: ASUS m-pro-Purchased
GPU: 4870x2-Purchased (temporary until something new comes about)
HDD: 300GB Raptor-PURCHASED
RAM: G Skill Ripjaw X 1866Mhz 2x2GB kit-Purchased
PSU: SilverStone 750watt-Purchased
Optical Drive: LG Blu Ray burner-Purchased

·
Premium Member
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by koda;11954128
i5-750 is 200 bucks... I mean, you could go 1155 for the same price. There's no reason not to, right?
That was the original plan but I don't like any of the micro atx boards available at the moment. But hey prove me wrong that's why i like posting these threads for peoples input, knowledge and experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlybug5;11954174
how much is your budget? we won't be able to help much if we dont know how much you can spend on it. and, i would recommend a sandy bridge i5. It's very close to the same price and is a good deal faster.
My budget is $800-1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by groundzero9;11954009
GPU: 6950 unlocked to 6970. Best value out there at the moment.
HDD: SSD boot and 2TB WD Black. The raptor isn't really worth the money for the small performance increase. Or take the money you would spend on a raptor and get a larger SSD.
RAM: G.Skill 4gb CAS 6
PSU: Seasonic 650W Gold
Which 6950 do I purchase to unlock them?

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFFY;11953937
The idea: First off, I'm a broke college kid so I'm all for saving money without sacrificing performance and quality. Second build must stay micro atx. Please don't recommend 1366 socket I don't want to spend an extra $100 on the CPU. As far as GPU I'll go red or green tide doesn't matter to me. For hard drives I was looking at probably getting a SSD(boot), 300GB Raptor(games), 2TB(storage/school). Games i play are FPS so COD, CSS, BF, Duke Nukem, and Diablo III. Well that's basically it thanks for the help.

Here's what i have so far....
CPU: i5 750
Case: Antec Mini P180
Mobo: ASUS Rampage Gene III Micro ATX
GPU: ?
HDD: ?
RAM: ?
PSU: ?
Optical Drive: ? thinking blu ray plextor drive
The Mini P180 is hardly mATX. It's about as big as some Mid Tower ATX cases. If you want a real mATX case you should check out the Elite 341, or some Silver Stone cases.

And you do realize the Rampage III GENE is a 1366 socket, right? You want the Maximus III GENE.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFFY;11954182
That was the original plan but I don't like any of the micro atx boards available at the moment. But hey prove me wrong that's why i like posting these threads for peoples input, knowledge and experience.
Well, ASUS is the only company with mATX P67 boards as far as I know. I'd have rather seen one from EVGA or something, but I'll be getting the ASUS P8P67-M Pro. It's not the most attractive board as far as the PCB and sinks go, but it should get the job done just fine.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by koda;11954248
Well, ASUS is the only company with mATX P67 boards as far as I know. I'd have rather seen one from EVGA or something, but I'll be getting the ASUS P8P67-M Pro. It's not the most attractive board as far as the PCB and sinks go, but it should get the job done just fine.
Gigabyte has some mATX boards but the ASUS one has some nice features to it that I enjoy. The PCI-E slots on the ASUS rock. It can operate as x16/x0, x16/x1, or x8/x8. I like that because you can use the second lane for a PCI-E x1 card. And of course the last PCI-E slot is x4.

Unfortunately it doesn't have enough phases for my liking, and I hear it lacks any real OC features that are worth it.

I'm sure the Maximus IV GENE will be the best mATX board when it comes out, if it comes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waar;11954409
how about a NZXT Vulcan for mATX case?
Great choice for expandability and airflow. I'd pick this over the Mini P180 any day.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
You're willing to waste spend money on an SSD and a VelociRaptor yet you won't prioritize a good CPU?

• Rep+
Reactions: RAFFY

·
Premium Member
6,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvjavs;11954419
Gigabyte has some mATX boards but the ASUS one has some nice features to it that I enjoy. The PCI-E slots on the ASUS rock. It can operate as x16/x0, x16/x1, or x8/x8. I like that because you can use the second lane for a PCI-E x1 card. And of course the last PCI-E slot is x4.

Unfortunately it doesn't have enough phases for my liking, and I hear it lacks any real OC features that are worth it.

I'm sure the Maximus IV GENE will be the best mATX board when it comes out, if it comes out.

Great choice for expandability and airflow. I'd pick this over the Mini P180 any day.
All the gigabyte matx boards are H67 I believe, the best one right now is the P8P67-m Pro. Hopefully we will see a couple more matx boards soon.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFFY;11954182

My budget is $800-1100

Which 6950 do I purchase to unlock them?
Check this Board out. I dont think Maximus lll Gene has too many advantages over it. Also i believe P8P67-M PRO has new ASUS EFI BIOS which i personally like a lot. That board is available here IMO for a very nice price

·
Premium Member
6,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekg84;11954655
Check this Board out. I dont think Maximus lll Gene has too many advantages over it. Also i believe P8P67-M PRO has new ASUS EFI BIOS which i personally like a lot. That board is available here IMO for a very nice price
Thats the same place I got mine, they actually shipped it the same day too. It should be here by mid-week hopefully.

·
Premium Member
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvjavs;11954227
The Mini P180 is hardly mATX. It's about as big as some Mid Tower ATX cases. If you want a real mATX case you should check out the Elite 341, or some Silver Stone cases.

And you do realize the Rampage III GENE is a 1366 socket, right? You want the Maximus III GENE.
Ah I always mix up the names on the rampage and Maximus i just call them all rampage, I swear I have the right one in my wish list! As far as the case I really like the Clean look but will check out these others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitsoldier;11954427
You're willing to waste spend money on an SSD and a VelociRaptor yet you won't prioritize a good CPU?
I was only going to get the raptor if it was still $100. And the CPU is good enough.

Well im getting the feeling I should just go with the 2300k 1155 socket CPU and just grab the cheapest micro atx board and wait for others to be released.

·
Premium Member
6,039 Posts
Well considering a 2500k and the P8P67-M Pro is almost the exact same price it would be foolish to invest in the 1156 socket.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagle3092;11954769
Well considering a 2500k and the P8P67-M Pro is almost the exact same price it would be foolish to invest in the 1156 socket.
Yes, id say get an i5 2500K+Asus p8p67m-pro and forget about cpu/mobo upgrades for the next couple of years.

·
Premium Member
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekg84;11954655
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekg84;11954813
Yes, id say get an i5 2500K+Asus p8p67m-pro and forget about cpu/mobo upgrades for the next couple of years.
I'll meet you half way 2500k and cheapest micro atx for now. That ASUS board though does have a lot of great features.

·
Premium Member
6,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFFY;11954858
I'll meet you half way 2500k and cheapest micro atx for now. That ASUS board though does have a lot of great features.
Theres only 3 mATX p67 boards (that I know of), ones an intel and there is the asus m and m pro. But I dont see why you would want to cheap out on it (for lack of better words), the difference is like $20 from what you were gonna get to the i5 2500k and P8P67-m pro. But its your money so its up to you, we are just trying to help.

·
Premium Member
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagle3092;11954915
Theres only 3 mATX p67 boards (that I know of), ones an intel and there is the asus m and m pro. But I dont see why you would want to cheap out on it (for lack of better words), the difference is like $20 from what you were gonna get to the i5 2500k and P8P67-m pro. But its your money so its up to you, we are just trying to help.
Ah didn't get to the eggs site yet ya if it's only $20 then I'll get that m pro that's a sweet board. What about a boot SSD, OCZ vertex II or is that over kill.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFFY;11954947
Ah didn't get to the eggs site yet ya if it's only $20 then I'll get that m pro that's a sweet board. What about a boot SSD, OCZ vertex II or is that over kill.
I think boot ssd is a good idea. I think any Sandforce based ssd would be fine. u can buy 90Gb one for about $150-160

1 - 20 of 33 Posts