AMD OC'ing Enthusiast
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sig rig is what is gonna be cooled.

If no sig is view-able per your individual settings, it is as follows

MOBO - Asus Crosshair V Formula Z
CPU - 1704 - 8320E

ambient temps vary 65-70*F

My loaded stress test voltage is under 1.5 volts at jsut a hair under 5GHz, yet I hit over 65*C core and over 50*C package

Currently on a Corsair 110i V2

Currently using Thermaltake TG-7

PAST COOLERS TRIED: Hyper 212 with 2 coolermaster fans stolen from a Mastercase 5, NZXT Kraken X61 with X62 edition fans (stronger pressure, more airflow than stock supplied X61 fans)

PAST GREASE: IC Diamond 7 (too sticky, ran out of stock trying new application methods and layers), hence TG-7 purchase at local bestbuy), Artic Silver 5, Artic Ceramique

TG-7 dropped temps from 69*C max load temps to max so far of 62*C, partly due to the inclusion of a spreader. Will retest at a later time if I decide to purchase more IC D 7

Corsair H110i V2 is currently a custom profile of max fans and max pump speed.

Pump bracket hold down arms do not appear bent, which would reduce contact pressure. Temperatures did not change while pressing down on block during a stress test.

Computer is open bench, radiator is vertical, with tubes topside. Whole radiator is equal or higher elevation to block/pump combo.

I would like recommendations on BEST air cooler. Unless its over $160, its in my budget.

All these AIO's simply dont have the thermal mass or pump speed to compete with a proper air cooler, especially when the Hyper 212 came within 15*C of the Kraken, when I threw noise concern out the window and maxxed the fans out. H110i knocked down temps nearly 10*C over the X61, but I suspect the NZXT pump is/was loosing performance

Looking forward to OCN's input!!
smile.gif

Trying to currently avoid diving into a custom loop, but it is definitely a consideration if no air cooler can keep me under 60*C

Remember. This is at LESS than 1.5 volts loaded with intelburn test at very high (4 gigs)

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
If you already have an NZXT Kraken X60 in your machine, where do you expect to go from there? You mentioned $160 being your budget. That's far too little for a custom loop, and a custom loop likely won't give you too much more overclock headroom anyway. But it will give you flexibility with respect to including a GPU in your loop, and allow you to run antifreeze in your lines like I have in my sig rig. That might be a long term goal of yours. In that case, I'd recommend looking for used custom loop parts here on the forums and spend that money that way.

I just want to manage your expectations here. Why spend that money on a cooler, when you already have a great one, and it won't increase your performance any noticeable amount? What specifically are you trying to accomplish? Competitive overclocking?

·
AMD OC'ing Enthusiast
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please properly read my post. And the title of this thread.

Im looking for the best air cooler that that dollar amount may or may not take care of.

Websites out in the wild love to steer thermal results all around, especially if sponsors are involved, so I am hoping for personal input form users on the OCN

Something along the lines of "I had an FX 8 core at 1.55 volts and here are my temps with XXX cooler at approx XX ambient" would be fantastic!
thumb.gif

·
Registered
289 Posts
Best air cooler... Noctua NH-D15. Even on Threadripper the smaller brother outperformed some AIO... And that is a 16 core cpu.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
AIO should be better than air. push/pull fans should drop your temps as would a larger rad. If you have a couple of fans sitting about then put them on the rad and see what happens.

unless the AIO is ****ed you won't drop your temps further with an air cooler.

·
Head Smeghead of OCN
3,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post

Sig rig is what is gonna be cooled.

If no sig is view-able per your individual settings, it is as follows

MOBO - Asus Crosshair V Formula Z
CPU - 1704 - 8320E

ambient temps vary 65-70*F

My loaded stress test voltage is under 1.5 volts at jsut a hair under 5GHz, yet I hit over 65*C core and over 50*C package

Currently on a Corsair 110i V2

Currently using Thermaltake TG-7

PAST COOLERS TRIED: Hyper 212 with 2 coolermaster fans stolen from a Mastercase 5, NZXT Kraken X61 with X62 edition fans (stronger pressure, more airflow than stock supplied X61 fans)

PAST GREASE: IC Diamond 7 (too sticky, ran out of stock trying new application methods and layers), hence TG-7 purchase at local bestbuy), Artic Silver 5, Artic Ceramique

TG-7 dropped temps from 69*C max load temps to max so far of 62*C, partly due to the inclusion of a spreader. Will retest at a later time if I decide to purchase more IC D 7

Corsair H110i V2 is currently a custom profile of max fans and max pump speed.

Pump bracket hold down arms do not appear bent, which would reduce contact pressure. Temperatures did not change while pressing down on block during a stress test.

Computer is open bench, radiator is vertical, with tubes topside. Whole radiator is equal or higher elevation to block/pump combo.

I would like recommendations on BEST air cooler. Unless its over $160, its in my budget.

All these AIO's simply dont have the thermal mass or pump speed to compete with a proper air cooler, especially when the Hyper 212 came within 15*C of the Kraken, when I threw noise concern out the window and maxxed the fans out. H110i knocked down temps nearly 10*C over the X61, but I suspect the NZXT pump is/was loosing performance

Looking forward to OCN's input!!
smile.gif

Trying to currently avoid diving into a custom loop, but it is definitely a consideration if no air cooler can keep me under 60*C

Remember. This is at LESS than 1.5 volts loaded with intelburn test at very high (4 gigs)
To be honest you're right on the edge of what you'll get with the ambient temps you've mentioned at the speed and settings you defined. The only real way to improve things is to go with water and most likely a custom setup, most AIO's simply can't keep up with a custom setup but some are certainly capable within reason.

Swiftech makes a setup that's as close to custom as it gets and best of all you can make changes/add stuff if you want as if it were a custom setup.
http://www.swiftech.com/H240-X.aspx
(Noted it's currently out of stock - Maybe they'll have more available soon)

Unlike most AIO's you can remove or add in whatever you want such as a larger rad or go to a different CPU block if you want. As is the unit is useable and you can save up for something better later, get it and just add it in.

Now..... The Noctua mentioned above is good but again you are right at the edge of what you'll get from it regardless if on air - Did the same thing with my setup on air with a Scythe Susanoo and while I did get above 5.0 I coudn't keep it there for long, it gradually heated up overwhelming the cooler's ability to vent off the excess heat and the speeds and settings were much like yours. Setup was a FX-8300 in a Crosshair board in my Tt X5 case.

This is all I can suggest IF wanting to go as high or higher with an expectation of useability/reliability in running it that way - On air I'm not so sure you'd do any better than you are now.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post

Please properly read my post. And the title of this thread.

Im looking for the best air cooler that that dollar amount may or may not take care of.

Websites out in the wild love to steer thermal results all around, especially if sponsors are involved, so I am hoping for personal input form users on the OCN

Something along the lines of "I had an FX 8 core at 1.55 volts and here are my temps with XXX cooler at approx XX ambient" would be fantastic!
thumb.gif

Source: https://www.anandtech.com/show/6830/cpu-air-cooler-roundup-six-coolers-from-noctua-silverstone-and-cooler-master/4

I read your post, and my questions still stand. The NZXT Kraken is a very capable cooler. Don't expect to get more performance out of an air cooler than you're already getting.

Now, if you really want to lower your temps, bring your PC outside. There are a couple of cold days ahead in Wisconsin where you're located.

EDIT: I had an FX-8350 running at 5GHz at 1.51v, and 2600MHz on the Northbridge. The CPU pulled 303W (measured with a kill-a-watt) from the socket. There is no way to dissipate that much heat without some kind of liquid cooling. ~60C on the cores at the time. (Apogee GTZ+240mm swiftech rad and Arctic Silver 5)

·
13,096 Posts
My original Corsair H100 got my FX-8150 to 5 GHz at ~1.5V and the max temps at the time were under the thermal throttling of the CPU, I also had 4 of the original Gentle Typhoon AP-15's on that as well though (I want to say 66 C or something around there was my Prime95 temps): https://valid.x86.fr/show_oc.php?id=2111753

·
Da Boss
1,895 Posts
Noctua NH-D15
Cryorig R1 Ultimate

I would say the above are the best. Can't really get any better than that as they are within degrees of AIO and are also much quieter.

·
AMD OC'ing Enthusiast
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusRed View Post

Noctua NH-D15
Cryorig R1 Ultimate

I would say the above are the best. Can't really get any better than that as they are within degrees of AIO and are also much quieter.
That CryoRIG lists a TDP support of 250+

I know the Be Quiet Dark Pro 3 states 250 watt TDP capable as well.

BUT seeing the D15's ability to cool threadripper down......

GEEZ this is gonna be a tough decision lol

·
Da Boss
1,895 Posts
I personally would go with they R1 Ultimate as you can change the coloring with CUSTOMOD Covers.
If you don't care about any of that stuff, just get whatever is cheaper and treat your SO to a night out on the town.

·
curmudgeon
5,930 Posts
What is the best air cooler for FX? The one with the most powerful fans and the best mounting system stuck in a case with great air flow. Something like these.

The Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme is no longer sold on this continent but the Silverstove HE01 is still available here. https://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=CA-HE01

I got the 2nd fan here. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835220056

Honorable mention goes to the Noctua D15, especially after Thermalright TY143 fans are installed.

But how do they actually do? This was a fun run on an 8350 with the HE01 on it. Check out that vcore.

And here is an 8370 with the SA IB-E Extreme on it.

But case air flow is more important than the cooler. You have to feed the beast while keeping the hot air from the gpu away from the cooler intake. And then you have to get all that hot air out of the case or else the cooler will just be recycling the hot air and overheating.

I ran 5 ghz 24/7 for over 2 years like this.

·
AMD OC'ing Enthusiast
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What I gather from your post is the FX chips can deal with far more temperatures than I thought.

I never go past 55*C package temps but your core temps are not too far off (70 versus 66)

What were your ambient temperatures?

and how does a Noctua D15 compare with itself running the TY143's? ANy tables/graphs in comparison directly?

·
curmudgeon
5,930 Posts
Ambients? In the house with me wearing slippers, pjs, and a bathrobe.
tongue.gif

That 20 pass run was a fun one. I got up early in the morning on 11-4-2014 and started the run while the house was cool, but my wife got up and turned the heater on. I noticed it when hot air from the floor vent was blowing directly into the puter air intake and temperatures were taking off. I threw a book on the floor vent and opened the window and door until it cooled off again. I expected it to fail but it never did. I doubt the ambients ever got below 68F as the house is normally in the 71-74F range.

The 10 pass run should have been much better but for some reason on the 3rd pass the temps spiked big time. Look at the average temps.

I have never run a D15 but my experience with similar coolers says more powerful fans deliver lower temps. Wind chill is a thing. For instance the fans on the HE01 need more amps than a typical motherboard can deliver so they top out at 1850 rpm or so and its performance is average at best. For that reason I power them from the psu with a pwm splitter so they can hit their true peak rpm of 2050 rpm and it then becomes a very good cooler. There is no reason to think the D15 is any different as the biggest difference in performance between it and the D14 is its more powerful fans.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm currently using a Phanteks PH-TC14PE air cooler with Thermaltake TG-7 thermal paste. I've had this cooler since 2012, and it was the best option at the time. Since then, the NH-D15 from Noctua is one cooler I know of off the top of my head that's slightly better than it (there may be a couple others, no idea). The colors on Noctua coolers are atrocious though. I'm using TG-7 thermal paste because it was what I had on hand when I built my PC less than a week ago.

mattliston, I understand going air only. To me, the whole umbrella of liquid cooling turns me off, but the numbers don't lie and top-tier liquid coolers are best. Regardless, I will probably only use air because to me it's the easiest route.

As for my results, when I run my 1800X at 1.45V VCore I peak at 75°C with Prime95's small FFTs test (v29.4b5). Ambient temperature averages 21°C. I'm using a DIYPC Alpha-GT3 bench case as well (much easier to clean, things rarely get dusty).

PS: Forgot to mention that working with Phanteks customer support is amazing too. I lost a washer once that was needed to mount it to Intel's LGA 1366 platform. I emailed them, provided my receipt from a long time ago, and they sent me a replacement washer afterwards for free. Last week, they mailed me a metal AM4 bracket as well for free. A cooler I bought five years ago is working great today with no additional cost. Previously, I used it to overclock my X5690 to 4.73GHz with HT on before my EVGA motherboard blew up. I was pushing over 1.5V VCore on it and scored the second highest result in UserBenchmark. Great times!
thumb.gif

·
AMD OC'ing Enthusiast
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmm

If I can get a hyper 212 with 2 fans as close as 15*C to my Corsair H110i, I wonder what I can do to a D15 to make it surpass all the AIO coolers.

But the question of "what is the BEST air cooler" is still yet unanswered.
thumb.gif

Many tests I find move things around, or are unwilling to peg fans at full speed, and this results in tables and tables of air coolers all getting different line ups for results.

Is there not a semi current (within last year) air cooler showdown to show how things are today? I so far have not found it.

Thanks for all the input so far
thumb.gif
thumb.gif

·
curmudgeon
5,930 Posts
There is no "best" air cooler. There are so many variables that what works for one makes another one bad in a given situation.

For example when the D15 came out one person did a comparison of it to the D14. In order to maximize performance for both and not penalize one or the other he went so far as to use different TIM because of their different bases. The D14 has a non mirror finish slightly concave base while the D15 has a mirror finish flat base. So he tried different TIM and ended up with thicker TIM with the D14 and thinner TIM with the D15 so each would deliver its best performance. He got roasted for that.

BTW I agree with his findings about TIM. A cooler with a concave base and thicker TIM works best on a stock cpu while a mirror finish flat base cooler works best with thin TIM and a lapped cpu.

• Rep+
Reactions: shellashock

·
Registered
212 Posts
miklkit, agreed for the most part! Technically, there is a "best cooler", but there are too many variables like you've stated to really deem which one's best. No reviewer has yet to figure out what air cooler is best as well from what mattliston is stating. Next, you have thermal compounds to compare which can also be hard to figure out which one really is best.

mattliston, I kindly recommend you pulling the trigger on an air cooler that's widely considered to be in the top five of all time to date and be content. If you're not finding the information you wish to see (reviewers displaying the performance of various coolers pitted against each other), then work with what you've got and go from there. Take into consideration customer support, price, style, clearance, and obviously performance. With my unbiased recommendation, I would go with the NH-D15 if you're looking for the best of the best performance. Please look here as to why I think this. It beat all of its competitors in this review, including my Phanteks PH-TC14PE. Since the date of this review though, Phanteks redesigned their fans that now create more air pressure, which simply means more air flow. The NH-D15 would still beat it though I think, but they come very close in terms of performance if Noctua's color scheme is an eyesore for you.

·
curmudgeon
5,930 Posts
You like your Phanteks? That is the 3rd cooler I bought and it was a disappointment. It never performed like the other 2 even with the same fans. I still think that its use of 5-8mm heat pipes should make it cool very well, but the fin pack is too restrictive.

Using the highly scientific method of sticking my hand behind the case and feeling the air flow, switching coolers, and sticking my hand back there again showed that much less air was being moved with the Phanteks cooler than the others even with the same fans running at the same rpms.

The difference was only 3-5C and I ran it like that for months anyway but eventually swapped it out. It's now cooling another 8370 @4.8ghz ok.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Here are some reviewers worth noting:
http://thermalbench.com/2017/11/11/silverstone-ar07-cpu-cooler/4/ - 100% stock fans, great environment and procedure, best noise measurements currently available
https://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.php/artikel/hardware/kuehlung/32410-noctua-nh-d15-im-test.html?start=9 - stock fans at matching rpms, reference fans at matching rpms, decent method
https://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.php/artikel/hardware/kuehlung/44803-cooler-masters-rgb-kuehler-ma410p-und-ma610p-im-doppeltest.html?start=7 - same as above but new test bed, no D15 (only s)
ehume's tests say the Fuma might be a better performer: http://www.overclockers.com/scythe-fuma-heatsink-review/

1 - 20 of 22 Posts