Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomasro

Okay, we're talking loud here, but how do you think this fan will perform in conjunction with a Big Typhoon?

I doubt it will make any difference. Air will only get you so cool. And @ 65db,Drawing over 2 amps it wouldn't be very pc friendly.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Chain the case down or the FAA will be contacting you!

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomasro

Okay, we're talking loud here, but how do you think this fan will perform in conjunction with a Big Typhoon?

I would think it could perform well with that big typhoon. The more air you can move across the heatsink the more heat will be displaced. I think I'll get a couple of those!!

·
Premium Member
6,425 Posts
Hmm..All together on my side pannel I have 260 CFM =P lol. Busa's right, its more like a hay look sorta thing IMO, but I still want one lol. You could prolly get a 130cfm for a 5th or 6th of that price that will do a great job.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by busa

I doubt it will make any difference. Air will only get you so cool. And @ 65db,Drawing over 2 amps it wouldn't be very pc friendly.

i basically agree, at some point you will just be making undue noise. a nice 120cfm 50+ db fan should be fine.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
ur right...the thermal conductivity of air just isnt enough. You know what would prolly work with a BT.....hmmmmm......i'm gonna try it with my brother's.....i'm gonna put heatisnks on the base of the BT!!!!!!! see if it helps temps at all....I mean it should, since the XP-120 temps are diff from the SI-120 temps, and the only REAL deff is that the XP-120 has fins on the base....hmmm.....i see a faq coming.....

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that'd be cool to see a BT with fins on the base and one of these monsters throwing air through it. I've read that if you put a fan controller on one of these, it'll buzz (I guess because it's off balance), but it is tempting for only 30 bones.

I picked up a silverstone 120mm fan (110 cfm) and think I'll be happy at 40 db instead of 65 or louder. Anyone else with this combo? temp diff to stock?

·
Premium Member
5,145 Posts
That would work well...just keep the rig in a different room.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by claymanhb

different house!

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by claymanhb

Hmmmm...how far can you string IDE, USB, Monitor cables before you get signal loss.....hmmm.....that would be interesting to find out....

·
Banned
658 Posts
I bought one of these and I couldn't be happier, great fan a little pricey but its quiet for the speed i keep it on. But I found the biggest thing for air cooling is where you get the air from, hot air inside your case = no good. It would be best for you to put another fan to draw cool air from outside the case.

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Duke

Chain the case down or the FAA will be contacting you!

That is all the funnier when you are a pilot!

I can handle noise, but 65dB is load. That would just be annoying.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i hear they also whine pretty bad too. well, we'll see how well my silverstone works out when I get it today...so anxious!!! btw, how do I submit a review?

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GomerPyle42

Please take into concideration that these fans are about 60 dB guys. That's almost as loud as a vacuum...

I'm afraid you are wrong there. A normal human conversation is rougly 65 DB. A vaccuum is more like 75-80 DB.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Alright, I will agree that I may have exaggerated that last post but, concider this.
A whisper: roughly 20 dB
A vacuum cleaner: 70 dB
A jet engine at take-off: 110 dB
I may be incorrect but I believe 90 dB is damaging to the human ear. My point that I will end on here guys is that these things are LOUD. I would recommend just one and put that on your processor.

my knowledge on from these posts were gained from...http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/tecar.html. check it out yourself, learn something.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts