Overclock.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, Im thinking about getting my first AMD build, never been a huge fan of them but 2200g made me kinda interested. I sold my old Intel rig and I dont want to get a GPU since they got crap expensive. This led me to 2200g solution for now/get a GPU later. I guess I am not the first who chose this solution :). So I started digging and found like zillion problems I could run into, to make it short:

Id like the highest possible performance for non stupid price. Since 2200g is highly dependant on RAM Id like to get as close to 4x4 GB @ 3200 MHz performance as possible (afaik impossible). Im aiming at gaming performance of course. I have read AMD specs:

Dual-Rank w/ 4 DIMM: Up to 1866 MHz
Dual-Rank w/ 2 DIMM: Up to 2400 MHz (2933?)
Single-Rank w/ 4 DIMM: Up to 2133 MHz
Single-Rank w/ 2 DIMM: Up to 2667 MHz (3200?)

1) What is the reality with "normal" cost RAM/MB? How far can we push this? Ive come across a lot of videos and articles but there is always a piece of puzzle missing, like SR/DR or even particular modules used for benchmarks. Ive read that single ranks are mostly ok @ 3200 MHz, prefferably overpriced single ranked CL14 G.Skill Flare X. Are those worth it? Does CL14 make these better than dual ranked? Are there even dual ranked that are able to run @ 3200?

2) What about Crucial Ballistix Sport (eg. BLS4G4D240FSE stock 2400 MHz, 1,2V) - Found info about them being able to run fine @ 3200 MHz eg.:
They are cheap but I cant find info about their rank, any experience with those? Or Tactical ones (BLT4G4D26AFTA)?

3) Are G.Skill Ripjaws V F4-3200C16D-16GVKB working well?

Id like Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 board (it has that cool amplifier and ac1220 chip) but the QVL list is very limited - as any other Ive checked. Or could you suggest equivalent motherboard in case this one is not compatible with RAM?

·
Shining Brightstar.
21 Posts
A little helpful knowledge.

Hi, i have a 2200G overclocked to 38.50ghz @ 1.4v with 3200Mhz 2x8=16GB DDR4 ram at low latency timings, on a mini-ITX Biostar X370GTN. I run it stable under a 120mm all-in-one water cooler in a small cramped case with 36c while browsing and 77c max fully stressed. My RAM is at CL14 with tightened subtimings and is for 15 minutes shown no errors. I would like to help!

Important - know this:
First, the rated stock speed for at least 2 sticks is 2933mhz at CL15, 15-15-15-36 with 51 TRC, and 1T to be exact. So do not worry about 2666, that is just for 1st gen Ryzen.
Second of all you do not need 4x sticks. Get 2x, they will work in dual channel and be faster therefore. Four is for some reason much harder to push, and may not even have better performance. if you have a non mini-itx board and you have leftover DDR4 it makes sense but here we are talking about 3200mhz or higher, in that case leave the four sticks and just use two fast ones. You may simply need to get higher amount per stick - 8gb per stick is standard, get two of these, now 2x16gb is expensive but worth it for high loads and memory intensive bloated apps, some may hate me for this argument, but this is the case in 2018, do not oversave on RAM.
Third of all, you can overclock, many of these chips have some sort of power under the hood, if you are stuck, add SOC voltage, if that still doesn't work you may not be able to do a certain timing. Make sure your DDR4=1.35V. If it doesn't run at 1.35v you may have a ASUS board, my BIOSTAR is a budget 80 GBP that can run at 1.35v at just about any setting with the right SOC voltage. So make sure your board is reliable (not for safety but for ease of use)
Fourth and final before i give you important info how to keep it stable and how i did that, anyway on a very quirky Taiwan-made AM4 board - you can probably do 3200mhz CL14, 3333mhz CL14 or CL15, and 3466Mhz at CL16 or CL14 even if you have a good chip (My 1700x couldn't overclock past 3.925ghz on 1.44V but can do 3466mhz RAM at CL14-14-14-28 with 51 TRC, a preset in the ASUS Crosshair VI Hero newer bios, a more high-end MB.) If you don't, you can add SOC voltage and make sure you keep it around 1.2V, make it only 1.25V in a specific case - first gen ryzen used to fry at over 1.2v or cause damage, so be careful with it, but it is required (most cases). Add basically a 0.100v offset to the SOC, as the stock is 1.1V. Don't worry about the rest, get to that later.

* Leave DRAM voltage at 1.35v, if it doesn't run at 1.35v - check it using a program at least or go into BIOS monitoring - as it won't if you do not use XMP - XMP should do it for you, but set it to 0.156v Offset which is 1.353v. Make sure it is at least 1.35v, make it 1.4V if you do not have clean voltage for some reason. Do NOT make it above 1.43v as that is when RAM can either give errors

* Just keep the SOC voltage feeding the core with anything over 2933 up to 1.2V is very safe for Zen+ and Zen+ APU. 1.25V is within margin of error of overvoltage but is max safe voltage you can try if things go wrong. Do note you may probably need over 1.35v on DRAM, up to 1.425V for over 1.2V SOC , as i needed in 1st Gen Ryzen.

* Test with latest Prime95 a free program, even if it has high temperatures, it will not ruin Ryzen CPU, but make sure it doesn't overheat -i let it run at 100C on stock cooler, the CPU still works but i probably shortened lifespan, so be WARE! Stress tests are perfectly safe, they are required to 'surely' and scientifically make sure your system is stable, but KEEP GOOD COOLING ON! So maybe do not overclock the CPU core multiplier or voltage at all if you're on stock cooler, as they are simply not adequate even the AMD ones under Prime95 load (mine was pushing 80 degrees and growing fast, and it wasn't the Wraith Stealth, it was a Spire Wraith). It doesn't matter if you find a different program give you no errors, or just as good - Prime95 is legit and can promise you a realistic and fully cruel, yet dead-on accurate output. You do NOT want your PC to bluescreen or crash when streaming or playing games or doing anything you like. So please do not take this as offense, this is important. =)

* if it passes Prime95 in Blend mode (third preset) for 10 minutes, you should be okay, test for 5 minutes more and if it doesn't have any errors within absolutely 15 minutes, you should be good to go.

* Do note your processor will be heavily loaded during that so overclock your RAM separately from your CPU overclock, just leave the cpu at stock with turbo if you have a stock cooler. If you have good cooling, You can test with both but it will get harder to figure out what's unstable if you mix them both.

* Do not add core voltage (it doesn't affect the memory at all and see above regarding stock cooler not enough for above stock voltage.)

* Do not use BCLK you do not need it for higher RAM, if it can do it , it can and will, if it doesn't boot with extra SOC voltage, you won't be able to boot anyway, so leave Bus clock alone.

But Ryzen needs both quality b-die ram due to it's nature, as well as bandwidth, and you start to run out of it as soon as you go above 2666/2933 because it's more intensive than usual slow ram Intel uses, so this by nature of DDR4 spec is wicked, but it can work! You just need to set it manually, voltage/power wise.

Also, disable Power Down Mode.

For these chips they changed the ProcODT and RZQ/Data Bus values from first gen Ryzen. It used to be 60 Ohm recommended, but NO!!!! It's now 53.3Ohm at start.

For me it is 53.3Ohm stable on 2200G.

For some, like my 1700X used to be, can go down to 48 or even 43.3ohm at worst. Try 53.3, if that doesn't work 48ohm should, if lower, it may not boot, so proceed with caution unless you want to clear CMOS pins using a screwdriver inside your PC case every time you add in a ridiculous value ( been there & done that)

Second, DATA BUS. This is also required in some cases to maintain stability. Some resistors or RAMs have termination that requires a specific setting. I found for someone on 0020 BIOS on C6H Asus mobos, and this helped my Biostar x370GTN stable, these settings worked

RttNom: RttNom Disable
RttWr: Dynamic ODT Off
RttPark: RZQ/5

For me this setting worked, and 53.3ohm, with 1.35v and 1.2V SOC at 3200mhz CL14-14-14-22. All on a low-end AMD Ryzen 3 2200G with Vega GRAPHICS set to 1200Mhz at stock 1.1V.

Third, channel interleaving. Some may argue it doesn't make a difference, but do not set it to 1KB in current BIOS. In old Ryzen1 BIOS you could have got away with 256kbs, disabled the channel interleaving hash, and get a small performance boost. But in this case i didn't disable the hash, and just leave it at auto - it will probably be good. If you want to change it, i heard 512kb works great with disabled interleaving hash for the DF Common Options.

For CBS, you want to disable IBS and Streaming Stores Control, always on any Ryzen as they might be enabled but may cause bugs (certain debug features, ironic isn't it?)

That's all i will say for now. Have fun mate, i wish you good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts