Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why don't they make these? It's actually really baffling when you think about it. 27" 1440p 144hz TN exists in freesync and gsync flavors, and the same can be said for 24" TNs, but when it comes to IPS you can only get them in 27" if you're looking for 144hz and gsync or freesync, and there are even some 32".

Only reason im bringing this up is I've recently trialed a 27" 1440p 144hz IPS for a week, and it's just too big, i'm very accustomed to a 24 inch monitor at 2-2.5 feet away, gives me a good FOV coverage without needing me to turn my head to see anything at the edges and corners and this helps with competitive focused titles. After seeing first hand side by side how much better the IPS looks it makes me sick having to be stuck with TN because of my preferred display size.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Does it really look THAT much better though? I'm not trying to say it doesn't, just that the difference doesn't seem like night and day to me. I also had the Dell S2417DG and Acer XB270HU and really the image quality of either didn't WOW me.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Why don't they make these? It's actually really baffling when you think about it. 27" 1440p 144hz TN exists in freesync and gsync flavors, and the same can be said for 24" TNs, but when it comes to IPS you can only get them in 27" if you're looking for 144hz and gsync or freesync, and there are even some 32".

Only reason im bringing this up is I've recently trialed a 27" 1440p 144hz IPS for a week, and it's just too big, i'm very accustomed to a 24 inch monitor at 2-2.5 feet away, gives me a good FOV coverage without needing me to turn my head to see anything at the edges and corners and this helps with competitive focused titles. After seeing first hand side by side how much better the IPS looks it makes me sick having to be stuck with TN because of my preferred display size.
I've been wondering the exact same thing.
If I had to guess, the market for a 24" variant probably isn't high enough because your competitive gamers will still get the TN over the IPS/VA.

·
Registered
728 Posts
at 24" 1080p vs 1440p is not great difference. I mean IT IS but it isn't though... Even as close as arms length and pixels blend together at 1080p. I have to get like 15cm close to the screen to distinguish pixels.
At work I use 14" 1920x1080p 150ppi ips del notebook and I was not even aware. But even if I touch my nose to the screen I cannot see pixels while I would with 24" 1080p monitor. But with normal usage? all is good.

Anwyway - there are no 144hz 1080p IPS monitors. Only TN. really weird since 24" is quite a big monitor for close desk usage and is being outnumbered by 1440p 27"

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
I can definitely see the aliasing on a 24" 1080p.
Even on a 1440p phone I can see the individual little blocks making the letters. At 1080p it looks like an etch-a-sketch.

Personally I'd love a fast 24" 1440p IPS or VA but I'll have to settle for 27".

Reminds me of console players saying you can't see a difference between 30 and 60hz. XD

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does it really look THAT much better though? I'm not trying to say it doesn't, just that the difference doesn't seem like night and day to me. I also had the Dell S2417DG and Acer XB270HU and really the image quality of either didn't WOW me.

It really does, my Dell for example only manages around 650:1 contrast ratio once calibrated to a 6500k white point, the XF270HU does 1200:1 and on top of that brings with it more accurate colors, and superior viewing angles. The gamma being a flat 2.2 instead of a BT.1886 curve the Dell is stuck with also helps considerably. Just the whole package of the 144hz AHVA monitors really blows the TNs away. The TN wins in raw speed, but its not such a significant difference and i'd gladly trade a little speed for the enormous improvement in image quality.

I love this Dell i just wish it were IPS and had more OSD options especially gamma adjustments. It's really not a huge issue on the PC since i can use a colorimeter and generate an ICC profile to correct the gamma and since i play all my games in windowed mode anyway with gsync i don't ever run into the issue of having games override color profiles. Decide to hook up a console to the thing and you're stuck with whatever the monitor can do with OSD tweaking alone, and with this Dell it aint much lol.

The ultimate display would of course be OLED but those don't really exist in monitors with the specs we're looking for.

As far as pixel density goes, theres a huge difference between 1080p 24" and 1440p 24", even 27" 1440p is massively better than 24" 1080p. Although i might not be able to see individual pixels at a distance of 2 feet from a 24" 1080p i definitely notice more jagged edges around text or just graphics ingame. If a 24 inch 1080p 144hz IPS was on offer i could convince myself to possibly downgrade from 1440p, but since it doesn't then theres no point considering going back to 1080p. I've tried a C24FG70 a couple months ago, and while the picture was better than this Dells 1080p was immediately an eyesore, VA felt much much slower after being used to the TN, and i didn't appreciate the horizontal gamma shift either, but the same can be said for TNs vertical gamma shift. That's kind of why im pushing towards having an IPS because the only real drawback is IPS glow, but i run my display in a dim room at 80 nits with a bias light and it makes any glow not bothersome at all.

If i could find an old FW900 that has some life in it still i'd honestly use that as my main display, i cant stand motion blur, but i really hate sacrificing a pretty picture for the best speed when if the right tech converged we could have the best of both worlds ie OLED + 240hz monitors. Damn this current market.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
The IPS is going to look better for sure but at this point I'm honestly just not impressed by monitor LCD image quality anymore. Only high end GLOSSY TVs with 6000+:1 contrast FALD LCDs looks impressive to me. If you value your performance in competitive games I agree that 24 inches is absolutely the way to go. I would choose the worst image quality if it meant playing better. I only sold my Dell since I do not play anything competitively anymore.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Say it again but slowly lol
OLED.......plus.... 240hz..... monitors......

lol

The IPS is going to look better for sure but at this point I'm honestly just not impressed by monitor LCD image quality anymore. Only high end GLOSSY TVs with 6000+:1 contrast FALD LCDs looks impressive to me. If you value your performance in competitive games I agree that 24 inches is absolutely the way to go. I would choose the worst image quality if it meant playing better. I only sold my Dell since I do not play anything competitively anymore.
What display(s) are you using now?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Mainly an LG 55B7A OLED but I also have the LG 32GK850G as my gsync high refresh alternative. Just holding out for those 40 inch 120Hz OLEDs now.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mainly an LG 55B7A OLED but I also have the LG 32GK850G as my gsync high refresh alternative. Just holding out for those 40 inch 120Hz OLEDs now.

Yeah i have a 55C7P for like a month now and still only 25 hours used on it.... I just don't really watch shows that often to get to use it, I'm thinking of getting rid of it for that reason as its just an expensive dust collector for me. Really wish it was like 32 inches instead >.<

1 - 11 of 11 Posts