Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm getting a PC, I'll have about $250 left so spend on the graphic's card, as it currently does not have one.

The PC spec's are as follows:
Intel i5 650
Gigabyte Motherboard (With cross fire) Micro ATX
8gb of DDR3 Ram (most likely 1333mhz)
700W PSU

I'm not sure if I should spend $250 on one graphic's card or buy two cheaper $125 graphic's cards and crossfire them. If I were to crossfire could probably spread the cost to $150 each.

Also, anybody know how this PC will game, will it be any good? T

Any so, please reply back and let me know what I should do.

Thanks!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason387 View Post

I suggest 1 gpu vs crossfire. Do you want only amd or evn nvidia will do?
I don't really know much a out graphics cards, what ever is bet for the price. Not to bothered If it bottlenecks with the CPU, as I will probably upgrade later.

Also my prices are Australian, so kind f expensive.

·
Retired?
2,021 Posts
my advice is if you can buy a HD7950 for $270

i saw one at msy for clearance in sydney (ulitmo)

otherwise GTX 660 / HD 7870 is bang for your buck tbh

~ i live in sydney and is expensive

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Single card. Not every game (assuming you'll be gaming) supports 2 cards... but looksee:

7790 crossfired:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7790_CrossFire/

I briefly looked into it and it looks like it's right around a 7950 which linked aboved looks like you could get one for cheaper than cf and it leaves you the option to cf in the future.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts

·
Banned
3,485 Posts
I gotta say having my 7770 CF is a huge diff from single card. A single card in that price range may not be able to keep up with 2 cheaper ones. And yes they scaled 100%, doubled all my frames.

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Two small cards is about the dumbest thing possible to do if you can avoid it. They are almost always limited by either 1GB of VRAM, or they have so much VRAM that even in Xfire/SLI, they can't even make use of it because of their memory bus is very gimped (i.e. 128-bit). You WILL be limited with 1GB of VRAM/128-bit bus @ 1080p, and heck, even sometimes with lower resolutions.

Lowest card I'd even recommend is a single GTX 650Ti Boost 2GB (specifically the 2GB version).

Just DO NOT go with two low end cards. Ever. EVER.

Since your original post seems to have a range between $250-300, here are all the cards available in the price range that you can afford. All prices are for Australian vendors: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#c=132,114,113,101,142,82,110,124&sort=a5

Sub $250, your best option is a GTX 660.

@ $300, your best option is GTX 660Ti or HD 7870 non-ghz/Ghz, with the GTX 660Ti edging out in between those choices.

If you can go up $10 over the $300 upper limit, the GTX 760 is the best option if you can fit it.

·
Banned
3,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinaesthetic View Post

Two small cards is about the dumbest thing possible to do if you can avoid it. They are almost always limited by either 1GB of VRAM, or they have so much VRAM that even in Xfire/SLI, they can't even make use of it because of their memory bus is very gimped (i.e. 128-bit). You WILL be limited with 1GB of VRAM/128-bit bus @ 1080p, and heck, even sometimes with lower resolutions.

Lowest card I'd even recommend is a single GTX 650Ti Boost 2GB (specifically the 2GB version).

Just DO NOT go with two low end cards. Ever.

Since your original post seems to have a range between $250-300, here are all the cards available in the price range that you can afford. All prices are for Australian vendors: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#c=132,114,113,101,142,82,110,124&sort=a5

@ $300, your best option is GTX 660Ti or HD 7870 non-ghz/Ghz, with the GTX 660Ti edging out in between those choices.

If you can go up $10 over the $300 upper limit, the GTX 760 is the best option if you can fit it.
All I can tell you is what I have experienced with mine and gotta tell you, NO ISSUES. Max settings NO ISSUES. Hours of gameplay NO ISSUES. Now I am not saying that I wouldn't rather have a 7970 or 2 but when money is tight and you are limited, 2 cheap cards will likely outperform 1 within the same price range. And keep in mind AMD cards tend to scale quite well, not sure about Nvidia.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinaesthetic View Post

Just DO NOT go with two low end cards. Ever. EVER.

I had two 550tis in sli and it was great. The cards maxed out what ever I needed.

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durquavian View Post

All I can tell you is what I have experienced with mine and gotta tell you, NO ISSUES. Max settings NO ISSUES. Hours of gameplay NO ISSUES. Now I am not saying that I wouldn't rather have a 7970 or 2 but when money is tight and you are limited, 2 cheap cards will likely outperform 1 within the same price range. And keep in mind AMD cards tend to scale quite well, not sure about Nvidia.
Here is why it is dumb:

1. SLI and Xfire aren't perfect. You WILL have times where you will receive stuttering in your games because that is just the way the technology works. I've experienced it in the past with GTX 670 SLI. Didn't like it all that much (YMMV on how perceptible it is to you).
  2. Your MAXIMUM framerates will be the part that gets the most increase in SLI/Xfire. Your minimums however, won't gain nearly as much. And your minimums is what you are going to be looking at for perceived viewing FPS. Combine that with stutter that will inevitably happen, and you are in for a world of hurt.
  3. Almost EVERY modern game (and a fair few older games) WILL use more than 1GB of VRAM. That means, your GPU will not have enough memory to buffer textures being shown, AA being used, etc. When that happens, your card will run into a slight stutter. Combine that with the inevitable stutter of SLI/Xfire, and you are in even more world of hurt.
  4. A 128-Bit bus is incapable of using 2GB of VRAM. Same thing with the pitiful 4GB GTX 670s. Read Point #3 with this one.
  5. There will ALWAYS be games where there isn't a solid SLI/Xfire profile. Guess what happens then? You are left with a miserably pitiful performing card to be used since that profile is incapable of using the second card.
  6. VERY few games have 100% Xfire/SLI scaling. Some have 20% scaling, some have 40%, some 80%, very, very few have 100%. So what are you left with? A very low end card combined with not much help with your second low end card. See point #5.
Its just a stupid decision. Flat out stupid.

Not to mention, you yourself could've invested $80 into your GPUs instead of getting the FX-8350 and a high end motherboard. Which would've easily allowed you to get a mid-high end single GPU that wouldn't be limited by VRAM, and would've sacrificed almost no performance in regards to your CPU.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Quote:

I gotta say having my 7770 CF is a huge diff from single card. A single card in that price range may not be able to keep up with 2 cheaper ones. And yes they scaled 100%, doubled all my frames.
yeah exatly get 2 and vola fast pc

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I'm another that says go with a single card, especially when comparing a pretty strong card like a 7950/7870 or 670/660Ti.

I've seen some 660ti sales recently, likely due to the 700's now. They are good deals. And as always, AMD is providing plenty of bang for your buck.

I had a friend that went with two 7850's, and wasn't satisfied. He sold them and snagged a 7950, and hasn't looked back.

·
Banned
7,797 Posts
Quote:

I don't know where you get your information from but if your doing it in an attempt to praise your gpu it's not right as we are all helping the OP choose his card. A Radeon 7950 will smoke your dual gpu's and leave it in the dust any day. Your bus width and vram limited. That's the truth. The card I presently own is roughly 65% faster than 1 overclocked 7770 and I paid 150$ for it. It's pointless to crossfire 2 low end card or mid range cards. If you still think your 2 7770's are faster please do post a few benchmarks and we can all be enlightened.
tongue.gif

Advice to the OP, get the 7950 if you find it within the 250$-27-$ region. Overclocking that card would reach 7979 performance.

·
Premium Member
11,034 Posts
OP grab a Sapphire HD 7950 boost for USD 261 after + 10% off w/ promo code EMCXMXV55, ends 8/8 . USD 241 after mail in rebate

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202026

the average overclocks on this card is 1100 mhz and almost matches HD 7970 Ghz performance. 3GB VRAM. definitely faster than HD 7770 CF or even HD 7790 CF.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/07/02/msi_n760_tf_2gd5oc_gtx_760_overclocking_review/5
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/07/15/xfx_radeon_hd_7790_black_edition_video_card_review/5

Tombraider 1920 x 1080 Highest settings Tress FX

HD 7790(1230 mhz) - avg 37.5 min 20
HD 7950(1150 mhz) - avg 68.4 min 36

HD 7950(1150 mhz) is 80% faster than HD 7790(1230 mhz) . remember CF in best cases scales to 1.8x. on average its around 1.6x and few games like Company of heroes 2 do not support multi GPU at all. then you have to consider the fact that HD 7790 comes with 1GB (2GB models cost USD 160) which is too less for 1080p. also the smoothness and frametime consistency of a single HD 7950 GPU can't be beat.

at the low end CF is a very bad idea. in the mid range CF / SLI becomes more attractive.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts