Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a little something on eBay. a 2500+ mobile (axhm2500fqq4c). The guy reckons he has given the thing a fairly easy life, adn so far, i am the highest bidder, with 6 days left. What think we of this?
From what ive read on these things, it will sure as hell be a big improvement to the domp i got right now, with its POS proc. XD

feedback - comments - 'CONSTRUCTIVE' criticism - all welcome

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
10X multiplier, 1.7 ish vcore and a fsb of 220 ish. That'll pwn. Up the multiplier a bit for more speed

·
Registered
434 Posts
Vancouver represent! Heh, I just had to. Unfortunately I don't live in Van with you anymore ******
(lives in Terrace, BC).

But anyway, Quick question related to 2500+ Barton since I'm in here:
When I take out the CMOS battery (thus resetting the BIOS to default), or just simply selecting 'Default Settings', my processor and motherboard are at 1.2 GHz and 100 MHz X 10 respectively... The problem is, it's supposed to be a 2500+ Barton. Can someone elaborate on this? I heard that sometimes some motherboards (especially those reviewed as near-crap, such as mine) often underclock as a safety procedure. Is this true though?

Anyway, It's at 166 X 11 as you can see now, with 1.65 vcore. That's supposed to be the stock speed for a Barton 2500+ if I'm correct, so that's why I've obviously set it to that.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by r3tard

10X multiplier, 1.7 ish vcore and a fsb of 220 ish. That'll pwn. Up the multiplier a bit for more speed

lol, nah i dont think ill be OCing this thing (for now) its jsut that i would like a proc that fry the moment i test thte thing (i have had horrific experiences with my TBird)

BTW its a bit wierd how this, unlike other 2500+s, come out in 133 (266) FSB...oh well, works well for me, since that is what ive got to play with...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadaGradeEh

Vancouver represent! Heh, I just had to. Unfortunately I don't live in Van with you anymore ******
(lives in Terrace, BC).

When I take out the CMOS battery (thus resetting the BIOS to default), or just simply selecting 'Default Settings', my processor and motherboard are at 1.2 GHz and 100 MHz X 10 respectively... The problem is, it's supposed to be a 2500+ Barton. Can someone elaborate on this? I heard that sometimes some motherboards (especially those reviewed as near-crap, such as mine) often underclock as a safety procedure. Is this true though?

Anyway, It's at 166 X 11 as you can see now, with 1.65 vcore. That's supposed to be the stock speed for a Barton 2500+ if I'm correct, so that's why I've obviously set it to that.

i would immediatly say that ure RAM is pc100OR ddr1600 (or wateva its called)
Chek ure mobo too, if it is locking at exactly 100 fsb, i think it woul dbe a realy 'DUH' kind of answer
Again try RAM, and mobo. My friend had a similar prob. He was running a 255fsb celeron running at 17 x 100 because some idiot shoved some pc100 in there.

cheers

·
Registered
434 Posts
My RAM is PC2700 (166 MHz). I don't know what you mean by my motherboard, but I have my motherboard overclocked? from 100 MHz to 166 MHz right now. I'm saying that it's supposed to be a 2500+ Barton I think, but at default the FSB is 100 MHz X 12 to get 1.2 GHz.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Quote:

(lives in Terrace, BC).

Heeloooo! Fellow british columbian!

Check the max FSB for your mobo, It may be defaulting to the max allowed.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by r3tard

Heeloooo! Fellow british columbian!

Check the max FSB for your mobo, It may be defaulting to the max allowed.

THIS was what i meant by 'check your mobo'.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Quote:

How do I check that?

Motherboard manual, googling your motherboard, Tons of ways. My favorite is reading what it says ON the motherboard Hah.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

How do I check that?

on MY mobo, there is a bunch of jumpers which can adjust it, or leave it to auto. Check if they are on auto, or maybe they are configured to a 100FSB. But if that were the case, it would be locking in 100 FSB wouldnt it...?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I ran a google, You support upto 200 FSB *400 mhz effective* So try just overclocking it to whatever fsb you want on the stock voltage for the cpu and try running stability. I assume it'll work flawlessly. Also check for some newer bioses

·
Registered
434 Posts
Well while you all replied I checked my BIOS and the description for setting my FSB said it's range is 100 <> 280, if that helps at all. I'll see if there are any jumpers on my mobo, but about getting the new BIOS version: Don't I have to flash or something like that? I have no idea how to do it... either I hope they'll have instructions to do that on the website or I'm gonna have to go FAQ searching

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Up your FSB then!! Either set it to auto and reboot and see what it says, Or set it to 133 or 166. Whatever the max your ram allows.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Ok, there are some jumpers in the bottom left of my mother board, just below the last PCI slot (yes, very bottom left lol). Don't know what those are for, but maybe they're what you're referring to.

Anyway, I can set my FSB higher than my RAM right? For my Ram I have to set it either at 100, 133, 166, or 200, and I think there's a bit too much strain on my system at 200 because when I set it at that I started getting a BSOD (Something about a RAM dump), and it smelled a bit like burning rubber :O lol

Obviously I decided to leave it at 166 for now.

·
Old school
14,400 Posts
Quote:

Ok, there are some jumpers in the bottom left of my mother board, just below the last PCI slot (yes, very bottom left lol). Don't know what those are for, but maybe they're what you're referring to.

Anyway, I can set my FSB higher than my RAM right? For my Ram I have to set it either at 100, 133, 166, or 200, and I think there's a bit too much strain on my system at 200 because when I set it at that I started getting a BSOD (Something about a RAM dump), and it smelled a bit like burning rubber :O lol

Obviously I decided to leave it at 166 for now.

You will need PC3200 ram to clock above 166 FSB. Right now you can't go higher then 166 because your ram simply doesn't support it. Hence the BSOD. I don't think your processor would run at 200 FSB either unless you lower the multiplier. If you get PC3200 ram you should up the FSB by small bits, like 2mhz FSB at a time.

When first installing a processor in a mobo, it's perfectly normal that it starts up at the lowest FSB speed (100) so don't worry about that either.

·
Registered
199 Posts
this is slightly off topic but if you di 11,5x multiplier and 200mhz fsb it is quite stable with soeed of 2.3gz but iknow for a fact that 200*11 os 100% stable and requires no volt modification or chanigng of voltage. the annyoing thing is that for the extra 100 mhz i had to increase my vcore by 0.15 and i couldn't be bothered.

·
Registered
434 Posts
So I can set my FSB to 200 ( X 10 I guess would be good, because 2 GHz is fine for me with this peice of crap ) without altering the RAM speed and it will still be efficient? I mean if the ratio is 200:166 then? I don't understand how the RAM multiplier crap works yet, so a simple explanation might be good. All I've heard is that a 1:1 ratio works best, but I'd think that 200:166 would still be good just because even if it isn't efficient (since the RAM can only process so much compared to the CPU) the CPU is after all faster in the first place. It'll just get a head start on the RAM, won't it? lol

·
Old school
14,400 Posts
Quote:

So I can set my FSB to 200 ( X 10 I guess would be good, because 2 GHz is fine for me with this peice of crap ) without altering the RAM speed and it will still be efficient? I mean if the ratio is 200:166 then? I don't understand how the RAM multiplier crap works yet, so a simple explanation might be good. All I've heard is that a 1:1 ratio works best, but I'd think that 200:166 would still be good just because even if it isn't efficient (since the RAM can only process so much compared to the CPU) the CPU is after all faster in the first place. It'll just get a head start on the RAM, won't it? lol

I think it will only do 1:1, I've never heard about setting your ram lower on a socket-A, but hey that might just be me. You are saying it didn't boot (?) in a previous post, so I still think u need pc3200 mem above 166 FSB.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I don't remember saying anything about it not booting, unless by previous post you mean a while ago because I had a non-booting problem when I tried to alter RAM timings a couple of months ago (I still don't exactly know how they work, along with most other RAM features). In THIS post I did say that when I tried 200 X 10 and 200 MHz on my RAM as well to run them n'sync, after a week or two I started smelling burning rubber or plastic or... something burning, and then shortly after (like the next day) my computer would start getting the BSOD with the memory dump message.

**EDIT**

PS - I'd like to thank Mr Wookie for being helpful and not scolding me for pretty much taking over his thread lol. +rep for him, and +rep for anyone else who helps me make some progress
or atleast puts in their time to try and help.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts