Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
DIY Guy
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've been wondering if I should try enabling the dual-graphics mode (not CF or SLi) for my computer and I'm requesting help to get some things clear.

What I mean is enabling the inbuilt CPU graphics + discrete graphics, so when there is no need to process graphics, computer would be in 2D mode and almost turn the 6950 of mine off.

I checked and it's possible to set a certain amount of shared RAM to allow the integrated graphics to use. As I just use about 5-6 GB of ram max, I guess allowing it to use 1024MB of my RAM would be no problem, right?

I'm talking about LucidVirtu technology.

How much power could I be saving with this feature enabled? As does it increase the power drawn by CPU and does it bring the graphics card's power draw to near nothing?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
It brings them down to idle levels and that's it, no quieter/cooler/power-efficient/etc.

I don't see the main purpose of Virtu as power-saving feature, but to allow you to encode using iGPU.

·
DIY Guy
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, just checked a review at [H] and enabling the LucidVirtu actually lowers the FPS in games about 2-10%, so I definitely won't enable it.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
It only lowers it if you use iGPU mode so it engages the dGPUs when gaming, I saw ~3%. I have mine in dGPU mode so I can use the iGPU for encoding etc, there's no adverse impact this way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts