Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for a new computer to buy for ages now. My recent budget was around $300(very small, I know). I kept upping my budget more and more as I really wanted Intel.
This may be the most boring Build Log, but I might as well give it a go!
biggrin.gif

25/9/2011:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066
Bought this for sale for $44.99. Great deal for a great case! So happy with it.

9/10/2011:
Happy Birthday to me!!!
biggrin.gif

I bought 4 new parts for my build

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=57962&vpn=BX80623I52500K&manufacture=Intel&promoid=1297
Got it on sale for $189.99.
wheee.gif

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231416
8 gigs for $49.99 and G.SKILL. I am super glad with my purchase!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271
It is an older generation, but it still has very good qualities. I got free 2 day shipping so I do not have to pay $8 shipping. Yay!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136769
500 gigs, 7200RPM, sata 6gb/s for $44.99? I think so!

EDIT: I also got a brand new monitor for my Birthday. Not sure exact specs yet as I have to pick it up from my brothers. I believe it is 21 inch. Definite upgrade from my 19 inch.
biggrin.gif

4 parts I purchased and a new monitor, on my birthday! Cant complain about that! Last year I only got like $60.

So far, I only have a few more parts to purchase. My next one will definitely be a PSU, but I need to get some more cash for that.

PSU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182133
I will be buying this within the few weeks.

GPU
GTX 560 ti
(I wont be purchasing this for a few months since I will be able to use the built in GPU of the CPU)

CPU Cooler
Coolmaster Hyper 212 Plus
I wont be overclocking for a while, so I don't absolutely need this yet, though I will definitely be getting it.

Fan
120MM fan to put on the side of the case. I wont be getting this till I get the new GPU.

Thermal Paste
I really don't know if I should buy some of that 99.99% arctic silver paste. I am not sure how well the TIM from the hyper 212 will work. What do you guys think, is it needed?

So far that is all that I will be getting. No I don't want a DVD drive, they are old technology. Pictures will be coming when I get all the parts needed and pictures while I build. I may not be taking pictures for a couple weeks most likely though.

This will be my first official custom computer I build. I know how to build computers and such. I have always messed with my recent computer with adding new parts and such, so that will not be an issue. I cannot wait till I get all my parts!
wheee.gif

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Cool, looks like it will be a nice PC!
smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshlete;15239786
Thermal Paste
I really don't know if I should buy some of that 99.99% arctic silver paste. I am not sure how well the TIM from the hyper 212 will work. What do you guys think, is it needed?
I normally just try the stock stuff and see what temps are like, it's easy enough to change if you need anyway I think. That said, I've heard that the stuff that comes with the 212 is pretty good.
Quote:
No I don't want a DVD drive, they are old technology.
How are you installing your OS? I'd get a DVD drive anyway, they are so cheap and you will probably wish you had one at some point!!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Quote:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136769
500 gigs, 7200RPM, sata 6gb/s for $44.99? I think so!
:
bit of advice here, hard disks cant even saturate a SATA 3Gb/s connection so I would spend the extra 10 bucks and get a samsung F3 for 54.99 on the egg. Theyre 1Tb and are basically the king of price/performance disks right now! I have 2 and theyre excellent
smile.gif
good luck with the build man!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by olli3;15239911
smile.gif

I normally just try the stock stuff and see what temps are like, it's easy enough to change if you need anyway I think. That said, I've heard that the stuff that comes with the 212 is pretty good.

How are you installing your OS? I'd get a DVD drive anyway, they are so cheap and you will probably wish you had one at some point!!
My old PC has a DVD Drive. I will temp use that to install the OS and put it back. The past few years, I probably used like 3 CD's. Anyways, the RAM comes with a 4GB flash drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdon;15239970
bit of advice here, hard disks cant even saturate a SATA 3Gb/s connection so I would spend the extra 10 bucks and get a samsung F3 for 54.99 on the egg. Theyre 1Tb and are basically the king of price/performance disks right now! I have 2 and theyre excellent
smile.gif
good luck with the build man!
Well, I wish I saw that before! Darn it! But oh well, it doesn't matter much since I can't even use up the 500gb on this older PC. I really wish I saw this before, though I am not too frustrated. Thank you for the advise.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olli3;15239911
smile.gif

Not anymore. A previous revision of the 212+ had some good CoolerMaster paste packaged with it, but any that you buy now will have generic garbage TIM in there.

OP, for TIM I would recommend either Arctic Cooling MX-4 or Tuniq TX-4. Both are equal, if not superior, to Arctic Silver 5 and have little to no cure time. AS5 has, I believe a 200 hour cure time before it has full effect.
Quote:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271
It is an older generation, but it still has very good qualities. I got free 2 day shipping so I do not have to pay $8 shipping. Yay!
What do you mean "last generation"? They just released that board about 1-2 months ago. You're getting one of their latest MB's right there. It's good stuff!
I should have waited to get this one, myself.
Quote:
GPU
GTX 560 ti
(I wont be purchasing this for a few months since I will be able to use the built in GPU of the CPU)
An excellent choice! Great performance for the money. I've got one and love it!

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I would go with Arctic Cooling MX-2. It is on the A list of this test, and $3 for 4g is hard to beat! AS5 was good when it first came out, but there are equal or better performing TIMs now with significantly lower cure periods. Most good quality TIMs are within 1-2C of each other anyway, theres no point in spending >$10 on a 4g tube when there are cheaper TIMs that perform the same.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanako;15244762
Not anymore. A previous revision of the 212+ had some good CoolerMaster paste packaged with it, but any that you buy now will have generic garbage TIM in there.

OP, for TIM I would recommend either Arctic Cooling MX-4 or Tuniq TX-4. Both are equal, if not superior, to Arctic Silver 5 and have little to no cure time. AS5 has, I believe a 200 hour cure time before it has full effect.

What do you mean "last generation"? They just released that board about 1-2 months ago. You're getting one of their latest MB's right there. It's good stuff!
I should have waited to get this one, myself.

Well, this motherboard is Gen3 and there is another one that is Gen4. So, I kind of thought that it was a older gen. But I am glad to hear that it isn't older gen.

An excellent choice! Great performance for the money. I've got one and love it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad0314;15244868
I would go with Arctic Cooling MX-2. It is on the A list of this test, and $3 for 4g is hard to beat! AS5 was good when it first came out, but there are equal or better performing TIMs now with significantly lower cure periods. Most good quality TIMs are within 1-2C of each other anyway, theres no point in spending >$10 on a 4g tube when there are cheaper TIMs that perform the same.
Thanks for that link. I will definitely buy this then.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshlete;15248203
Well, this motherboard is Gen3 and there is another one that is Gen4. So, I kind of thought that it was a older gen. But I am glad to hear that it isn't older gen.
Ah! I see where you're making the mistake. Actually, they are all Gen3 boards. What you are confusing is the "Extreme" name, i.e. Extreme3 Gen3, Extreme4 Gen3, Extreme7 Gen3, etc. So yes, you are getting their latest generation of MB's and their Extreme3 Gen3 that you've chosen is a great deal for the buck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nice build man, very similar to mine haha, the only difference are some of the companies you chose. I got the 550 instead of the 560, not really a FPS player so don't need that extra boost.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanako;15249207
Ah! I see where you're making the mistake. Actually, they are all Gen3 boards. What you are confusing is the "Extreme" name, i.e. Extreme3 Gen3, Extreme4 Gen3, Extreme7 Gen3, etc. So yes, you are getting their latest generation of MB's and their Extreme3 Gen3 that you've chosen is a great deal for the buck.
Ahhhh, thank you for this information. I am very glad to hear this. So what is the difference between Extre3, 4, and 7?
Quote:
Originally Posted by modnub;15250583
Nice build man, very similar to mine haha, the only difference are some of the companies you chose. I got the 550 instead of the 560, not really a FPS player so don't need that extra boost.
Thanks. I spent a lot of time putting this rig up. I will probably be using the HD 3000 built into the i5 for a few months until I scrounge up $200. Hopefully it will get cheaper by then with the new GPU's coming out. My goal is to play BF3 on good to best settings.

·
Registered
317 Posts
more SATA , expansion, the PCI slots different speeds or PCI slots, more power phase better for overclocking, the power,reset onboard, etc etc

1 - 14 of 14 Posts