Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been at 4.5ghz since day one. I was happy with it, I've had it like that for a few years now and I didn't really care to go any further then that. But today I decided to play with it more and I was able to achieve 4.7ghz. should I keep it or just go back to 4.5?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,040 Posts
I personally went from 5ghz to 4.7ghz after a few months, just to see if I noticed a difference and I haven't noticed any difference at all. I figured I would see a decrease in fps or using the pcsx2 emulator, but honestly I didn't notice any drop in speed.

I haven't went lower than 4.7ghz, but in real world usage it's not really worth it unless you just absolutely need the speed, or bench a lot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,703 Posts
I dropped my 2500k from 4.8 to 4.5, because the voltage difference was pretty dramatic and I couldn't tell the difference unless I ran a synthetic cpu bench. Once I saw how little of a difference it made in benches my mind was made up, not worth it to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hl86 View Post

If you watch twitch while gaming, it could be useful with higher overclock
Or you could just use livestreamer to watch with vlc media player or alternatives, and get rid of whatever impact it has to run a flash player while gaming. (it sometimes feels like it does more than just use more cpu than a real video player)
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: Butternut101

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I was able to get it with a little bump on volts im acutally thinking about trying to hit 5ghz. well see:thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butternut101 View Post

Well I was able to get it with a little bump on volts im acutally thinking about trying to hit 5ghz. well see:thumb:
my minimum fps on DAI @ 4.5ghz=48fps
minimum fps on 4.8ghz=48fps (hinterlands)
i tried downclocking to 3.8ghz and it was terrible on the same settings.
 

·
Linux Gamer
Joined
·
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro999 View Post

Depends if you care about a ~4.44% performance gain or not
With the GPU bottleneck in my system, it would make no sense to go +0.5ghz for gaming, but I sometimes wonder what performance % is left on the table with a moderate vs. high overclock on SB like 4.5ghz vs. 5ghz. With that math, looks like it would be over +10%. Very interesting.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost Heathen View Post

With the GPU bottleneck in my system, it would make no sense to go +0.5ghz for gaming, but I sometimes wonder what performance % is left on the table with a moderate vs. high overclock on SB like 4.5ghz vs. 5ghz. With that math, looks like it would be over +10%. Very interesting.
A bunch of games will be affected by CPU performance at times. Unless you play only a few games, it's unlikely that you'd never run into them. Personally (as i'm trying to run higher FPS) like 70% of my games are CPU bound

stuff usually scales around linearly to frequency, so 4500mhz to 4950mhz would be ~1.1x performance
 

·
Linux Gamer
Joined
·
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro999 View Post

A bunch of games will be affected by CPU performance at times. Unless you play only a few games, it's unlikely that you'd never run into them. Personally (as i'm trying to run higher FPS) like 70% of my games are CPU bound

stuff usually scales around linearly to frequency, so 4500mhz to 4950mhz would be ~1.1x performance
That's true. I often play undemanding games (older single player and Indie games), so it's unsurprising that I haven't had any CPU bottlenecking that I'm aware of, but when I play newer/competitive stuff and pay more attention to it, I'm sure it'll be notable in certain instances, especially if I upgrade the GPU.

It's good to know I can squeeze out an extra ~10% if I stabilize 4.9-5ghz. Thank you for sharing that. +Rep
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top