Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I'm not a noob to over-clocking, nor a pro, just an average user.

So 2500Ks are really easy to Overclock, common knowledge. So I go into my Bios, up Multi to 45, Voltage to 1.275(recommended), set my RAm config for 1600. Save & reboot, go into bios, everythingg checks out.

Says "PRocessor Speed 4500MHZ"

Boots into windows fine. CoreTemp says 3.3GHZ

CPU-Z says 3.3GHZ

Game I booted into says 3.3GHZ

Now normally these reflect over-clocked values. It's not turbo or speed step either, I disabled Speed Step and all that so even at idle I'm running full, no CIE2 / 3 state and whatnot. Really confused as I followed about 4-5 different guides, even ones posted here, to the T, and they're really not hard guides...

However it seems my OC does not stick anywhere but in my bios.

Asrock P67 Professional

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157240

Feel like a total noob asking here, but I have no idea why. Thanks.

·
...when you walked in
6,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkilbride View Post

Alright, so I'm not a noob to over-clocking, nor a pro, just an average user.
So 2500Ks are really easy to Overclock, common knowledge. So I go into my Bios, up Multi to 45, Voltage to 1.275(recommended), set my RAm config for 1600. Save & reboot, go into bios, everythingg checks out.
Says "PRocessor Speed 4500MHZ"
Boots into windows fine. CoreTemp says 3.3GHZ
CPU-Z says 3.3GHZ
Game I booted into says 3.3GHZ
Now normally these reflect over-clocked values. It's not turbo or speed step either, I disabled Speed Step and all that so even at idle I'm running full, no CIE2 / 3 state and whatnot. Really confused as I followed about 4-5 different guides, even ones posted here, to the T, and they're really not hard guides...
However it seems my OC does not stick anywhere but in my bios.
Asrock P67 Professional
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157240
Feel like a total noob asking here, but I have no idea why. Thanks.
There should be another place in your bios to change the multi. For me, it was located on the main screen and in the CPU advanced config. It only actually changed the multiplier when I changed it in the CPU advanced config for some reason.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Do you have the latest BIOS installed on your motherboard?

·
Banned
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2.00 is the latest, yes.

There is a Overclocking utility to OC within Windows. I just tried it ...and it works. However, something feels wrong with over-clocking in Windows...

And I think I know why. Just locked up and I had to reset, my bios reset as well. Overclocking in Windows can't be trusted. I haven't found a place to change the Multi in the advanced config, only the OC Tweaker page.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Depending on the power saving features you have enabled it will downclock until under load and then ramp up to 4.5GHz. Download CPU-z to verify.

·
Banned
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I said CPU-Z already. I disabled those features.

For some reason it seems to be working now. Not sure why, but it is, and I plan to P95 it now.

New issue. Just checking Task Manager...25% Cpu usage for no reason. There is no program using it, and even with restarting it's still there.

I started P95 anyways, but got a BSOD "System service exception"

·
...when you walked in
6,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkilbride View Post

Yes, I said CPU-Z already. I disabled those features.
For some reason it seems to be working now. Not sure why, but it is, and I plan to P95 it now.
New issue. Just checking Task Manager...25% Cpu usage for no reason. There is no program using it, and even with restarting it's still there.
I started P95 anyways, but got a BSOD "System service exception"
Is this a fresh install of Win7?

·
Banned
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Of course, no self-respecting computer user would redo their entire system and not format. I'm not such low class.
tongue.gif

1 - 8 of 8 Posts