Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
PC Gamer
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I overclocked my CPU to 4.0ghz and decided to run a Witcher 3 for 1 hour. All is running good but im not sure what my MAX temps should be at. Right now Im noticing about 67-68c under max load. I have tried to push the CPU higher but im noticing the temps are going way higher. 4.2 is netting about 73c and higher is netting around 76-78.

I dont have the best CPU cooler. its a Deepcool S40 92mm (4 heatpipe) and I really dont have the funds to replace it due to my last thursday lay off. What is the MAX temps I should stay under with a 2500K

·
Registered
112 Posts
Normally, I test all my temps under full load using a stress test. This lets me know the max my cpu will hit at 100% usage.

~100C is the maximum set by intel. The chip will automatically throttle itself back and if it cant control the temp it will shut off completely.
Whats a good 24/7 temp for normal usage? its subjective however id say anything under 80C if you want some longevity out of it.

What is your CPU voltage (vcore)?

What type of thermal paste did you use to mount the heatsink?

With 3 case fans id assume you have good air movement in the case. Do you have an extra 120mm fan to zip tie to your heatsink? A push and pull type of configuration.

·
PC Gamer
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_985 View Post

Normally, I test all my temps under full load using a stress test. This lets me know the max my cpu will hit at 100% usage.

~100C is the maximum set by intel. The chip will automatically throttle itself back and if it cant control the temp it will shut off completely.
Whats a good 24/7 temp for normal usage? its subjective however id say anything under 80C if you want some longevity out of it.

What is your CPU voltage (vcore)?

What type of thermal paste did you use to mount the heatsink?

With 3 case fans id assume you have good air movement in the case. Do you have an extra 120mm fan to zip tie to your heatsink? A push and pull type of configuration.
2 front fans (blowing in)

1 top fan (blowing out)

1 rear fan (blowing out)

I do have an extra 120mm fan. I never thought about zip tying it to the cooler. I will give that a try. Right now Stock voltage at a stable 4.0ghzif i run intel burn test it maxes my CPU up at 84c at 4.0ghz. If I play witcher 3 or any other game I maxes out at 67-68c. I used MX4.

This cooler is crap IMO. Not great for overclocking at all. I got it cheap at 14.00 I should of went for a better cooler

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'd stay for 14$ its going pretty good. Would you notice another 200-300mhz overclock in game?

Another low cost trick you could try. I lapped tuniq tower 120 with decent results at one time. Dropped my temps 4-7C if i remember correctly.

All that's required is some fine autobody sandpaper and a piece of glass.

I'd be interested what the push/pull config does to your temps.

·
PC Gamer
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_985 View Post

I'd stay for 14$ its going pretty good. Would you notice another 200-300mhz overclock in game?

Another low cost trick you could try. I lapped tuniq tower 120 with decent results at one time. Dropped my temps 4-7C if i remember correctly.

All that's required is some fine autobody sandpaper and a piece of glass.

I'd be interested what the push/pull config does to your temps.
ill give it a try now and see what kind of temps I get in a push/pull. What is this lapping your talking about. (sandpaper and glass?) I have never heard of that

·
PC Gamer
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
installed a 120mm fan for a push/pull. temps dropped about 4c.

·
Getting used to 'new'
5,126 Posts
I would also try swapping the top fan to intake as well. PCs really like intake. I swapped my fan stuff around back when I had my 8350 as my main rig in my 650D. I turned the rear to intake and left my rad on exhaust (top mount), and that helped a little.
Also don't forget temperatures can be different on different days, so if you don't see much of a change, it could just be your ambient on a different day.
Years back when gaming with my friends on the main floor of their house, we would be extremely hot. 3 360's and 3 CRT TVs tucked into the kitchen with sunshine coming through... It was horrible but we had fun. When the sun hid behind a tree, we all immediately felt a difference. Especially once it cooled down a little outside and their parents opened up the windows there and the door and windows at the far end of the house. The house had an airflow because of the way the neighborhood was shaped and the hills that they were next to. Once everything was opened, there was a current that swept through the house and the kitchen would drop significantly.
TL:DR? Different conditions in/around the house. Take those into account before you get too upset with weird results, if encountered. OFC, I was talking about 6-8 devices in one area, plus 3 humans (5 if we consider the little brothers too)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Lapping a heatsink is sanding it on a flat surface to the smoothest surface possible. It ends up like a mirror.

·
PC Gamer
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I noticed that Vcore in BIOS was set on Auto and in CPU-Z my voltage was at 1.320v. I set it at 1.25. I now noticed my idle temps have dropped from 44-48 down to 34-36

also my Max load temps have dropped HUGE from 68c down to 54c

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I might be wrong, but something tells me you haven't set voltages from BIOS to manual/offset. I advice you to do that if they are still on auto. With those voltages you could handle 4.5Ghz, depending on your silicon lottery ticket.

When I had my [email protected] it was bad silicon lottery ticket and had to have quite high voltages but nevertheless I never exceed 65c on my normal usage/aida64 stress test, only IBT/similar doomsdaysafecheckprogram got me higher temps.
I had Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (which looks similar to yours), so I think you don't have to invest that much to get better cooler to handle decent overclock or you could handle it with your current cooler.

Edit: I saw your edit, tweak the voltages, they make big difference
wink.gif

·
PC Gamer
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMoo View Post

I might be wrong, but something tells me you haven't set voltages from BIOS to manual/offset. I advice you to do that if they are still on auto. With those voltages you could handle 4.5Ghz, depending on your silicon lottery ticket.

When I had my [email protected] it was bad silicon lottery ticket and had to have quite high voltages but nevertheless I never exceed 65c on my normal usage/aida64 stress test, only IBT/similar doomsdaysafecheckprogram got me higher temps.
I had Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (which looks similar to yours), so I think you don't have to invest that much to get better cooler to handle decent overclock or you could handle it with your current cooler.

Edit: I saw your edit, tweak the voltages, they make big difference
wink.gif
I actually went ahead and did that a few mins ago. when my vcore was set on autoit was at 1.32v temps were 44-48c idle & 68c max. I set the Vcore to 1.25 and my idle temps are now 34-36 and my max temps never got above 54c.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
You might try a remount of the cooler. TIM is hard to get right. It's easy to get too much, or to get poor spread. I don't like the thick stuff like AS5, it never spreads right. I dunno about MX-4. I've had the temps drop a lot from doing that.

·
PC Gamer
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidiaftw12 View Post

You might try a remount of the cooler. TIM is hard to get right. It's easy to get too much, or to get poor spread. I don't like the thick stuff like AS5, it never spreads right. I dunno about MX-4. I've had the temps drop a lot from doing that.
ive done that 3 times already. made no difference on this cooler with 3 different applications or more or less. I went with a pea size. as said setting the voltage to 1.25 has dropped my temps nearly 14c. I just dont think this cooler can handle high voltage. Im still going to invest in a better cooler once I get another job. I would like to get an AIO

·
PC Gamer
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Gotcha. What RPM are the fans you used?
the fan on the CPU cooler is a 92mm 1600rpm. im noticing the fan cooler is alot cooler now. before it felt decently warm. The fan seems to push a decent amount of air. As for the fans in the case im not sure. i believe they max out at 1200rpm and they dont push a ton of air.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
AIO's ain't that great in value:performance ratio and some of them tend to be noisy.

I advice you to go read those great sandybridge overclocking guides we have here, there you will learn more about the voltages. PLL, VCCSA and other stuff I can't remember right now, they made big difference in temps and stability too. Sandybrige time wasn't as easy as these days *throw desired ghz and Vcore* and you are done.

·
Getting used to 'new'
5,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4LC4PON3 View Post

Quote:

ive done that 3 times already. made no difference on this cooler with 3 different applications or more or less. I went with a pea size. as said setting the voltage to 1.25 has dropped my temps nearly 14c. I just dont think this cooler can handle high voltage. Im still going to invest in a better cooler once I get another job. I would like to get an AIO
AIO and air coolers in the same price range are equally effective. If under $80, air will be better since 120mm AIO are pointless. Above that, they will have similar performance.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4LC4PON3 View Post

the fan on the CPU cooler is a 92mm 1600rpm. im noticing the fan cooler is alot cooler now. before it felt decently warm. The fan seems to push a decent amount of air. As for the fans in the case im not sure. i believe they max out at 1200rpm and they dont push a ton of air.
In general their air coming off should be pretty cool for ideal cooling. It's not a great solution, but you could get a fast sythe fan and maybe drop the temps a few degrees.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts