Overclock.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently using a (mostly) very high-end PC (I7 5960X @ 4.6Ghz, GTX TITAN X @ 1,450mhz, 16GB Corsair Dom. Platinum DDR4, EK water cooling loop with 480mm, 420mm, and 360mm radiators and waterblocks for both CPU and GPUs, ASUS Rampage V Extreme mobo) but with a crappy WD Blue 500Gb HDD so i'm finally able to afford a bit of an upgrade on my storage, and i really need one anyway as i'm constantly getting 99% Disk Usage problems even though my RAM is only at ~50-60% at max during any situation and CPU etc.. usage even lower.

I'm currently trying to decide between getting a regular SSD like a Corsair Neutron XT or Samsung 850 Evo in 256Gb to save money or possibly 500Gb for the extra space; OR, to go for something with more performance to match the high performance theme of the rig. Since I'm using the Rampage V Extreme i can use NVMe drives so i'm considering the Samsung 950 Pro, but it's really at the high end of what i can afford now being nearly $200. Then there's the slightly cheaper Samsung SM951 (The AHCI one, not NVMe as it's even more expensive than the 950 Pro).

I'm trying to find some info on the performance difference between the 256Gb versions of the SM951 and the 950 Pro, but not much luck so far. Overall i'm "kinda" leaning towards the 950 Pro because 1) The Pro reputation/name and reliability and 2) That badass Black PCB will perfectly match the Red and Black color scheme of the Rampage V Extreme motherboard. but if the SM951 is a fair bit better performance wise or even a tiny bit then it may be worth it since it's still cheaper even though it's only ~$20-25 or so.

Then i'm also wondering about the real world difference between the 950 Pro/Sm951 and say the 850 Evo or the Corsair Neutron XT. Those are limited to ~500Mbps in real world benchmarks compared to claims of the SM951 and 950 hitting 2000mbps+ read and 900-1500mbps on the writes. I mostly do gaming, but I do plan to do some video editing and game design etc.. type work. I'm also a tad worried about space if i go for the 256Gb Sm951 or 950 (couldn't afford a 500gb one) but I do still have the 500Gb HDD, is it possible to reliably move files between the HDD and an SSD like games, programs, videos etc.. and keep the few games/programs I use alot on the SSD and put other things i use less on the HDD, moving them to the SSD every month or two as i change my current "most used" objects? Or would that be a problem?

From what i can see the only real advantage the 950 Pro has is the new V-NAND and Encryption stuff but i'm REALLY not SSD savvy so i have no idea about these things and would appreciate help.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
...thanks for all the help everyone... -__-

1 - 2 of 2 Posts