Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I haven't overclocked in a long long time (really rusty) I've inherited a 2600k and at stock it does still pretty damn good considering its what 7/8 years old now? I have a Alpenfohn Matterhorn cooling, its pretty big and under prime 95 for 20 minutes stock its at 65c. Before I attempt an overclock, should I invest in a new cooler, or even an AIO cooler?

Secondly I'm confused when overclocking about turbo mode, should it be disabled. Or do I overclock to say 4ghz and let turbo throttle upwards, sorry always been a bit of a grey area for me. Used to just play with the vcore and cpu ratio multiplier.

I'm looking to get the most out of the CPU while I upgrade my GPU, then down the line will make the move to coffee lake.

·
Linux Gamer
961 Posts
I'd see how overclocking fares (and if necessary fan optimization) before upgrading. A top tier air cooler would be ~7C cooler. Unless your talking about a high quality 240mm+ AIO, they're more failure risk than a custom loop and ~equal performance to big air cooling.

80C stress testing when overclocked is normal. I'd keep it under 70C for day to day use.

FWIW, overclocking with turbo on or off gave exactly the same results on both 1155 mobos I had. I even tested 4.9ghz on and off no difference for either board. I just left it on.

EDIT: A more descriptive example: 4.9ghz turbo by all cores was the same as turbo disabled with frequency set to 4.9ghz. With speedstep on, both idle at 1.6GHZ and ramp up to 4.9GHZ (on all cores). So it's only necessary to set your max desired frequency (4.9ghz in the aforementioned example).

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
You can raise the Turbo or BCLK to hit the base speed but Turbo is the best way for daily rigs. Clock speed is clock speed so as long as you're getting the desired speed it shouldn't matter if it's turbo or base.
I've never had a sand or ivy so I may be out of touch just a bit there. Either way I know you can hit the turbo so I'd do that. Not sure what your board is so it's hard to tell you exactly what to do but I'll try:
Make a system image of your OS in case a crash corrupts it.
Set LLC to the middle setting.
While stress testing use manual vcore, after you get stability on the core, cache and ram you can set offset or adaptive. This will prevent overvoltage under heavy stress in synthetics.

Manually set your cache and RAM to stock speeds and voltage. Set your desired clock speed, increase vcore, set your input/socket voltage to 0.5v over vcore then run Prime95 v26.6 small FFT. If it crashes you need more vcore assuming temps are good across the board and CPU.
Once you can run small FFT for a few hours without crashes or errors move on to the RAM, set 1.65v then raise the speeds or reduce the timings, use maxmem benchmark to find the fastest configuration then use Prime95 blend to make sure it's stable. After that is cache, set a safe voltage and bump the multiplier up. You'll want Prime95 small FFT to stress that but I've crashed it using blend too.

Don't skimp on core stability, you want that rock solid so when you get a crash later on you'll know exactly why.
Here's a guide:
http://forums.pureoverclock.com/cpu...andy-bridge-overclocking-guide-5ghz-club.html
There are tons of sandy/ivy guides.

As for the cooler I'd use what you have for now with good thermal paste and good case flow. If you can't get the speed you want/need I'd either get a newer twin tower cooler like the Noctua D15, Cryorig R1 or the budget Deep Cool Assassin. If you must get a CLC I recommend the large Swiftec 280mm and 360mm units as they are among the few that can outperform air coolers enough to actually get more speed. Most 240mm Asetek rebadge units run the same temps as good air coolers but cost much more, pose a leak risk and will eventually die. For me to tolerate those 3 things I'd better be getting something for it.

Just use what you have till it isn't good enough IMO. A 4.8ghz+ Sandy/Ivy i7 would still be a very good performer. I'd be happy to have one with a good board.

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts