Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
2500K for gaming

EDIT:
Both can hit 4GHz pretty easily, but the deal breaker here is HT.
If you encode, use a program that takes advantage of the additional threads, then get the 2600K.

·
OCN
1,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-Ball;12009248
2500K for gaming
2500k for gaming

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy;12009271
any diffrence to overclocking performance?

Why the 2500k for gaming? is the HT feature of the 2600k useless?
Read my edit.

The 2600K's HT gain in games pretty minimal, since most games don't even advantage of the threads.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong;12009326
In my opinion
If you encode, use a program that takes advantage of the additional threads, then get the 2600K.
Are you serious?

How about the Quote button?

All you did was reword my post...

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I won't be happy untill i hit the 5ghz barrier but the 2600k is around £100 more than the 2500k and apart from maybe folding and gaming i wont need it for much else.

Im also undecided on what air cooler to get i think the noctua d14 is ugly! but seems that not much else is as good at keeping temps down unless i am missing something, Can you guys recomend me the best air cooler?

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong;12009326
In my opinion
4Ghz i should hope so lol

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy;12009354
I won't be happy untill i hit the 5ghz barrier but the 2600k is around £100 more than the 2500k and apart from maybe folding and gaming i wont need it for much else.

Im also undecided on what air cooler to get i think the noctua d14 is ugly! but seems that not much else is as good at keeping temps down unless i am missing something, Can you guys recomend me the best air cooler?
Here you go.

http://www.directron.com/silverarrow.html?gsear=1

·
Registered
668 Posts
From what I have read, the 2500k will do similar overclocks at a lower voltage and with cooler temps (thanks to a lack of HT).

If you are gaming, I would suggest saving the 100 dollar difference and picking up a D14, H70 or Silver Arrow and go like hell
smile.gif
4 cores is more than sufficient for modern gaming needs. Just don't get all that CPU horsepower and then skimp on the video card.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerealKillah;12009380
From what I have read, the 2500k will do similar overclocks at a lower voltage and with cooler temps (thanks to a lack of HT).

If you are gaming, I would suggest saving the 100 dollar difference and picking up a D14, H70 or Silver Arrow and go like hell
smile.gif
4 cores is more than sufficient for modern gaming needs. Just don't get all that CPU horsepower and then skimp on the video card.
That sounds perfect! the lower temps will be awsome for breaking the 5Ghz barrier coupled with a good cooler, its annoying you guys get all the best stuff in the US

·
Gone
8,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy;12009354

You shouldn't really expect your chip to hit 5Ghz.. Some can do it, some wont. All depends on the binning of the processor you receive. With that said, if you're really willing to risk it, a 2600K with HT disabled is your best bet, but in all honestly, a 2500k should suffice.

·
RTX Sight Unseen
2,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylit;12009515
You shouldn't really expect your chip to hit 5Ghz.. Some can do it, some wont. All depends on the binning of the chip you receive. With that said, if you're really willing to risk it, a 2600K with HT disabled is your best bet, but in all honestly, a 2500k should suffice.
Yeah, basically I would expect 2600k to be binned higher than 2500k and thus 2600k with HT/off is probably your best bet for 5ghz.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylit;12009515
You shouldn't really expect your chip to hit 5Ghz.. Some can do it, some wont. All depends on the binning of the processor you receive. With that said, if you're really willing to risk it, a 2600K with HT disabled is your best bet, but in all honestly, a 2500k should suffice.
Is the extra £100 worth the chance id be well pleased if i could save the cash and do it on a 2500k.

What percentage of chips are reaching 5Ghz

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
According to Hardwarecanucks:

However, even if you buy a K-series chips, your success is not guaranteed. Each chip is unique, and each will have a different highest stable CPU multiplier. Some chips will have a functional 53X multiplier, some will not be able to go above 44X, for example. This is now obviously the #1 factor in whether your chip will be able to overclock well or not. Max Multiplier + Max BCLK = Max Clock Speed, totally idiot proof. Only a lack of voltage or cooling can prevent you from reaching that Max Clock Speed once you've determined the multiplier and BCLK limits. No tweaking or fancy skills necessary, at all. And no amount of voltage or cooling can help you gain additional headroom once the max has been found.

Based on a third-party's extensive testing of 100 retail D2 stepping processors, this is how Sandy Bridge is shaping up on the overclocking front:

* Approximately 50% of CPUs can go up to 4.4~4.5 GHz
* Approximately 40% of CPUs can go up to 4.6~4.7 GHz
* Approximately 10% of CPUs can go up to 4.8~5 GHz (50+ multipliers are about 2% of this group)

As you can see, unlocked K-series Sandy Bridge chips overclock quite well. Not amazingly well, but quite well. They perhaps won't match many people's expectations, but few things are able to satisfy the hype in the computer realm. Hardcore overclockers will obviously have disdain for this iteration of Sandy Bridge, as they should, and they would be well advised to wait for the LGA2011 Sandy Bridge platform, which has been rumored to be more overclocking friendly.

·
RTX Sight Unseen
2,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by utnorris;12009978
According to Hardwarecanucks:Based on a third-party's extensive testing of 100 retail D2 stepping processors, this is how Sandy Bridge is shaping up on the overclocking front:

* Approximately 50% of CPUs can go up to 4.4~4.5 GHz
* Approximately 40% of CPUs can go up to 4.6~4.7 GHz
* Approximately 10% of CPUs can go up to 4.8~5 GHz (50+ multipliers are about 2% of this group)
The reason these chips overclock well is because they are obviously binned between K and non-k. Its hard to ever know exactly the difference between a K and non-k because of the basically locked FSB.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts