Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just planning my upgrade from my i7 2600K over the next 8 weeks, as I have a lot of work on the PC and want tp finish the projects before I do the upgrade and save. I'm saving the majority of the money for the GPU, 1070ti or 1080 level hopefully the new 11 series but will see, which leaves me to get Motherboard and CPU. I was thinking a B350 motherboard and a Ryzen 1600 level, basically it feels a side step to go quad core and 8 threads, and I probably wont see a great deal of difference. I don't think I will have the budget for an 8 core, so would the 1600/1600x be a half decent increase.

It will be for gaming, wed design and development and mild video editing. I plan to get a single 16gb stick as fast as possible in terms of mhz, then grab another stick down the line for 32gb.

I've currently overclocked my 2600k to 4.4ghz, i think it has a bit left in it but held back for stability.

·
Premium Member
20,154 Posts
Just planning my upgrade from my i7 2600K over the next 8 weeks, as I have a lot of work on the PC and want tp finish the projects before I do the upgrade and save. I'm saving the majority of the money for the GPU, 1070ti or 1080 level hopefully the new 11 series but will see, which leaves me to get Motherboard and CPU. I was thinking a B350 motherboard and a Ryzen 1600 level, basically it feels a side step to go quad core and 8 threads, and I probably wont see a great deal of difference. I don't think I will have the budget for an 8 core, so would the 1600/1600x be a half decent increase.

It will be for gaming, wed design and development and mild video editing. I plan to get a single 16gb stick as fast as possible in terms of mhz, then grab another stick down the line for 32gb.

I've currently overclocked my 2600k to 4.4ghz, i think it has a bit left in it but held back for stability.
I suggest going for the R5 2600 (non x) instead. If budget is an issue you can still pair it with the B350.

I have both an i7 2700k at 4.5 and a 1600 at 3.8. The latter was an upgrade from 6 core Phenom. They are pretty even for Single thread tasks but of course the 1600 is way ahead in multi-tasks.

I highly recommend the Gskill FlareX 3200.

·
Mr.4way SLI
5,522 Posts
I second rdr09 however on the mem save the money and go for the Team Dark Pro Bdie in the link below. I have it in 2 Ryzen rigs and both hit 3500mhz with stock voltage and 14-14-14-31-1t timing. The FlareX is a great kit but I just have a hard time paying the extra they want for it. Edit. Just noticed you're in the UK so maybe prices are different when looking at the FlareX and Team Dark Pro.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313711

·
Registered
33 Posts
You'll see a massive increase in performance going from a HD 6970 to a GTX 1070ti or 1080 but in terms of the processor you're really not going to see that much of a difference going from your i7-2700K to a Ryzen 1600X in terms of gaming.

An overclocked 2700K will beat even the 1800X in plenty of games as can be seen here:

I would personally save that little bit extra and go for an i5-8600K if gaming is your thing.

·
Premium Member
10,117 Posts
Clock for clock single core comparison showing my Ryzen 1800X's advantage vs my 2600k and 3770k systems.

EDIT: hmm image attachment is broken... i miss the old ocn :(

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
Ryzen is architecturally superior to Sandy Bridge, but Sandy Bridge's clock speed advantage keeps gaming performance relevant. Upgrading your CPU would be to improve other uses for your system. Upgrading your graphics card would be a better return on investment if your primary want is improved gaming performance. If I were in your situation, I would look for a secondhand video card to improve my gaming experience while I wait for new processors to hit the market. This is actually what I am doing. I won't be upgrading my CPU until Intel brings 8-core processors to mainstream, which appears to be at some point this year. I'm probably still waiting for Zen 2 to see what kind of performance jump AMD achieves with a new architecture and an actual die shrink. If Zen 2 can approach 5.0 GHz, I'll be going red.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
As a person that just added an 8gb kit of matching ram to an existing 8gb kit, I'd strongly recommend not doing that if you want to run over 1333. From 1800mhz 9 9 9 24 down to 1333mhz.
Buy a used 32gb kit if you really need it...imo spending +$200 on DDR3 at this point is a waste.

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
As a person that just added an 8gb kit of matching ram to an existing 8gb kit, I'd strongly recommend not doing that if you want to run over 1333. From 1800mhz 9 9 9 24 down to 1333mhz.
Buy a used 32gb kit if you really need it...imo spending +$200 on DDR3 at this point is a waste.
No one was talking about spending money on DDR3. The RAM talk in the initial post is DDR4 for a new Ryzen system.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
I misinterpreted the post but my point remains. I thought they were upgrading the 2600k for now till then.

Mixing two kits of ram can either work perfectly or it can be an annoying hairpulling experience trying to get the speed you paid for. Since Ryzen is being mentioned, not getting the speed you paid for can actually be worse than it would on an Intel rig.

·
Premium Member
20,154 Posts
I second rdr09 however on the mem save the money and go for the Team Dark Pro Bdie in the link below. I have it in 2 Ryzen rigs and both hit 3500mhz with stock voltage and 14-14-14-31-1t timing. The FlareX is a great kit but I just have a hard time paying the extra they want for it. Edit. Just noticed you're in the UK so maybe prices are different when looking at the FlareX and Team Dark Pro.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313711
I plan on a R7 build this summer and will consider Team Dark Pro.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys, I would love a coffee lake i7 but just can't justify the cost. I mean I want the cores and additional threads for the heavily multithreaded workloads. I see in a lot of games that a Ryzen 1600 (missing out the 2600, just because its new and less information out there) competes just fine if not offers better performance than the sandy bridge.

I've seen videos showing a i7 2600k compete with new coffee lakes for gaming, and maybe the few fps difference is factored by DDR4 not by the new cpu, but who knows. I just wanted to ensure I'm not side stepping from with the Ryzen.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Ryzen R5 2600 is the way to go, forget about R5 1600. B350 board w/ 2933 DDR4 and you're set !

And can upgrade to newer processor in the future.

Good Luck !

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Thanks guys, I would love a coffee lake i7 but just can't justify the cost. I mean I want the cores and additional threads for the heavily multithreaded workloads. I see in a lot of games that a Ryzen 1600 (missing out the 2600, just because its new and less information out there) competes just fine if not offers better performance than the sandy bridge.

I've seen videos showing a i7 2600k compete with new coffee lakes for gaming, and maybe the few fps difference is factored by DDR4 not by the new cpu, but who knows. I just wanted to ensure I'm not side stepping from with the Ryzen.

really depends... I would wait till you could get everything at once might get a bundle deal CPU if you want an Upgrade you will need more cores another 4core will be a slight grade IMHO

GPU though is a must :thumb:

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm waiting to see what the 11 series for Nvidia brings, so the GPU will be my first purchase. Then I will grab the rest at once.

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
Intel is bringing eight cores to mainstream. Not quite sure how this will affect their processor lineup, but I think it's rather safe to say current processors will drop in price/value when they hit the market in much the same way Kaby Lake and older processors did when Coffee Lake hit the market.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts