Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm a bit of an Overclocking Newb, but I've been trying to get passed 4.3ghz for a while now and seem to be unable to.

CPU: Intel i7 2600k
Mobo: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3-B3

Every time I get to 4.4 things aren't stable, and often won't even boot at 4.5.

You can see my settings below, any advice you can give would be very helpful.

Here are some of my settings/results at 4.3 (Stable)

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
The first thing you may need to do is lower your setting for "Multi-Steps Load-Line". It's way too high. Your core voltage appears to be going up when you put a full load on it rather than staying the same or going down, and this makes the Voltage Regulator Module (VRM) very hot which can kill stability and hurt your overclocking potential.

Start at level 3 and see how that goes. You want the core voltage as displayed by CPU-Z to either stay the same or go down when you put load on your CPU. If it goes up, then the Load-Line setting is too high.

Another possible problem though is your power supply. If it's not a good quality-made PSU (one that delivers stable and accurate power), then overclocking can be very frustrating. So, what is the brand and the exact model of your PSU?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am using a CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-1000HX 1000W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139007

I have a single GTX 970 SSC in the PC. (In case you are concerned about power).

I will start reducing loadline now and report back.

Update: According to CPU-Z I'm between 1.368 and 1.380 vcore when idle. I took it my loadline to 3 and at one point when I did a torture test it droped down to 1.308 and the PC hanged. I increased it to LoadLine 4 and my vcore drops down to 1.344 and is still stable at 4.3 GHZ.

I'll start increasing to 4.5 and see what happens.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Creating a new post to send out a notification -- Will merge later.

I set my vcore to 1.4 and changed my multiplyeer to 45x to get to 4.5ghz with LoadLine at 4.

!Crashes!

In CPU-Z my Vcore is between 1.404 and 1.428 at idle. When I put some load on it, it drops to 1.392 V

Note: When running benchmarks in CPU-z or SuperPi it works alright, a torture test in Prime95 is what causes the crash (but can get it to run stable at 4.3).

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Yeah, you need to post a reply or else I won't know you said anything. I can't be sitting here reloading the thread. Who has time for stuff like that? ;)

Anyway, holy crap this CPU seems to be a bad overclocker. Yeah sure, this motherboard isn't the greatest either, but still.

Do you do anything with your computer that takes advantage of Hyper Threading? If not, then you should disable it because having it enabled results in needing a higher core voltage and it also creates more heat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had a feeling
frown.gif
Darn!

I'm actually getting crashes even at 70c, so it's not a temperature issue, I feel like it just can't overclock for crap, or I'm doing something wrong in one of my settings (but that's why I linked them all above).

As far as HT, I use a lot of Adobe Products like Lightroom and Photoshop, which I understand make use of HyperThreading so I don't want to lose that.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by URFIR3D View Post

Had a feeling
frown.gif
Darn!

I'm actually getting crashes even at 70c, so it's not a temperature issue, I feel like it just can't overclock for crap, or I'm doing something wrong in one of my settings (but that's why I linked them all above).

As far as HT, I use a lot of Adobe Products like Lightroom and Photoshop, which I understand make use of HyperThreading so I don't want to lose that.
It could be a combination of this motherboard and a "bad" CPU (that is, "bad" in an overclocker's opinion). I don't remember this motherboard ever really being good or recommended.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

So the settings (including the Intel Turbo Boost Tech, PLL, etc) all look good though?
Yeah, there's nothing else to change that could make it easier to get past 4.3 GHz.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you, at least I can stop trying again on my own for the same results every few months like I have been for a few years now.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

Thank you, at least I can stop trying again on my own for the same results every few months like I have been for a few years now.
Oh, ouch. You're welcome.

·
...when you walked in
6,439 Posts
Set PLL overvoltage to disabled not auto - you want it disabled with low OC's such as these. Also what other PWM frequency control options do you have besides auto? Usually there are a couple options.

Also, try PLL 1.7v instead of auto.

If it still doesn't help then like TwoCables said, it's likely a combination of a low end board + bad overclocking chip

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
There's nothing wrong with having PLL Overvoltage set to Auto or even Enabled, even if you're not overclocking. The worst it does is, it might make the POST time slightly longer - like by 1 or 2 seconds. Other than that, disabling it won't change the chances of getting past 4.3 GHz.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Like I said, there's nothing else you can do to improve your chances of getting past 4.3 GHz. I think you're being limited by this motherboard. You might also have a VERY power-hungry CPU there.

·
Linux Gamer
961 Posts
Raising the watt and amp limit is worth a shot, I'd think. Though i wouldn't get your hopes up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts