·
To The Game
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I picked up a refurbished office pc off ebay for $150 with the bellow stats,

CPU - i5-3470
Ram - 8gb 1333 ddr3
Hdd - 500gb 7200 rpm (looking for a cheap ssd)
OS - Win 10 pro (did free upgrade from win 7 pro)

I added a single fan 1050 ti which I bought new for $113 + tax off amazon. (Caught a good prime member sale)

Total cost of system = $272.45

***GTA:V Ran at single default setting***

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Awesome deal! The 3470 isn't a slouch. Good luck with GTA V... it's pretty good as a stress test. Ha
thumb.gif

·
To The Game
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackVenom View Post

Awesome deal! The 3470 isn't a slouch. Good luck with GTA V... it's pretty good as a stress test. Ha
thumb.gif
Yeah. It's still a very capable cpu and system.
thumb.gif

·
To The Game
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tossed up my Steam benchmarks. Going to do GTA:V next.

·
To The Game
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok,

I ran the GTA:V benchmark. Everything was seeming good. The game played smooth. I ran the benchmark and during the flying and last scene the game kept freezing on and off. The avg was good, "82 fps", but, I need to figure out *** is going on with that freezing. Need to get some vitals up on the screen, maybe hook up a second monitor so I can see what's happening in the background.

·
To The Game
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinFX View Post

Nice work, people need to see these kinds of benchmarks to realise what you can do with little money!
You're right about that.

Always annoying when I see lower end hardware benched at "Ultra" settings and then called crap. Reality is if you lower a few things lower end hardware can put up a good experience.

·
To The Game
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Figured out the problem with the GTA:V benchmark!!! Windows was updating in the background. It did an update when I reset and now it's running perfect. Isn't gaming mode supposed to prevent this kind of thing from happening?
thinking.gif

·
To The Game
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GTA:V added to benchmark.

·
To The Game
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
*Pours beer out for budget rig.

Oh well, was playing around with the system tonight and decided to do a system restore. Received an error message while restoring. Was forced to cut power to the system. When I attempted to boot it back up I got a blank screen. Flipped 3 ram kits, reset cmos, switched hdd's, gpu's, whatever and nothing seems to work. Thinking the mobo might of crapped out. =/

Was pretty happy with the system up to this issue. I added a 1tb SHDD which brought the system to a new level and 16gb ram since the benchmarks. Contacted the seller and waiting to hear back from him.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I recently did the same thing, but I found out buying an old Workstation is the way to go for a monster budget machine.

There is a guy in my area selling Dell Precision Workstations that he piked up by the pallet load from auctions. His garage was literally wall to wall with the things.

Anyways I managed to pick up a Dell Precision T7500 for 120$, with a Single Xeon 6Core E5645 cpu and 12GB DDR3 ram, stock 1100w Silver 80+ PSU with 2 6pin PCIe and 1 8pin PCIe built in. Also found a MSI Reference GTX 780 for 80$, slapped in an old 600gb HDD and 1tb HDD i already had and installed windows 10.

The Full Tower Case in comes in is great too, loads of room and stays really cool. Video card Overclocked to 1150MHZ Core @ 1.212v with throtling disabled hasnt passed 64c on the most demanding games.

Currently playing Prey Maxed out @ 1080p with solid 60FPS on 60hz monitor, not a dip below. Watch dogs 2, far cry primal, re7, mass effect andromeda, ac unity and syndicate maxed out do 45-60.

Thing runs great for a hell of a price.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts