Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have previously used Ryzen 1700 with ASUS X370-F, i updated the BIOS to version 4012 which is to this day the newest one available. Everything seemed ok until i noticed something werid - i had no sound. I thought it was a driver issue but then i realized my onboard audio was not being detected, tried everything from BIOS downgrades to resitting the CPU and doing a clean install of Windows 10. I came to the conclusion it was the onboard audio dying on me randomly knowing my bad luck. So i purchased the newly released X470-F, i was sure it would fix everything but before i replaced the motherboard i decided to try and put my 1700 back into the X370-F just out of curiosity, the sound worked. Well i was happy i didn't have to RMA the board and thought it's just some type of weird compatiblity issue. I was confident that everything would be just fine with the new motherboard, and then after booting into Windows i was surprised to see that the onboard audio was still not being detected. Flashed to the newest BIOS, no luck.

So it has to be the CPU. I have never came across such issue. Has anyone ever seen something like this? I'll pick up a different 2700x on Monday and hopefully it will actually work this time.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
I have previously used Ryzen 1700 with ASUS X370-F, i updated the BIOS to version 4012 which is to this day the newest one available. Everything seemed ok until i noticed something werid - i had no sound. I thought it was a driver issue but then i realized my onboard audio was not being detected, tried everything from BIOS downgrades to resitting the CPU and doing a clean install of Windows 10. I came to the conclusion it was the onboard audio dying on me randomly knowing my bad luck. So i purchased the newly released X470-F, i was sure it would fix everything but before i replaced the motherboard i decided to try and put my 1700 back into the X370-F just out of curiosity, the sound worked. Well i was happy i didn't have to RMA the board and thought it's just some type of weird compatiblity issue. I was confident that everything would be just fine with the new motherboard, and then after booting into Windows i was surprised to see that the onboard audio was still not being detected. Flashed to the newest BIOS, no luck.

So it has to be the CPU. I have never came across such issue. Has anyone ever seen something like this? I'll pick up a different 2700x on Monday and hopefully it will actually work this time.
I don't see any correlation between a cpu and your onboard audio not working.

·
Custom User Title
357 Posts
I have a Crosshair VI Hero, and when I updated my BIOS, I lost my on board audio AND my Void Pro headset. It was very weird. But mine was fixed by uninstalling all related software and reinstalling latest drivers.

·
Totally Tubular
1,508 Posts

I find it highly unlikely that the CPU is at fault. The onboard audio runs through the chipset's PCIe lanes, so the CPU has nothing to do with the detection.

I look forward to your results with the new CPU.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah i know. I am actually extremely confused. But i literally tried everything and the only thing that worked was swapping the 2700x with my old 1700.

I legit bought a brand new mobo, did a clean install of Windows, nothing works. I am lost for words.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Yeah i know. I am actually extremely confused. But i literally tried everything and the only thing that worked was swapping the 2700x with my old 1700.

I legit bought a brand new mobo, did a clean install of Windows, nothing works. I am lost for words.
Try a Linux LiveCD just for fun and see if your audio comes back with the 2700X.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Did you check in BIOS if onboard sound is enabled at all ?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Just installed the new 2700x, sound is working. So it was the CPU. Gonna take picutes of the faulty one and inspect it further, will send it to AMD too.

NVM - one of the pins on the CPU was bent.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Just installed the new 2700x, sound is working. So it was the CPU. Gonna take picutes of the faulty one and inspect it further, will send it to AMD too.

NVM - one of the pins on the CPU was bent.
Eeeeeek,

can you post picture, would love to see the state of that pin!

:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts