Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, its been a bit since ive done any CPU overclocking, since sandy bridge to be exact, where i had a couple diff SB systems i got to some nice 24/7 OCs and i decided to jump on the ryzen bandwagon as i kinda liked what the platform was doing and i liked how things like XFR2 sounded.

queue up either my misunderstanding of how the platform works or something not being correct with my setup, either a setting, the mobo being whacky or windows acting off with the power plans (using balanced).

quick system spec -
mobo - asrock x470 taichi ultimate, updated to most recent bios
cpu - 2700x
ram - using the gskill flare set to it's XMP profile of 3200mhz cl14 @ 1.35v

The problem is, my system does not seem to downclock at all on idle. it sits at 4.3ghz all cores and the vid (both hwinfo and ryzen master) sits at 1.425-1.43. When i go under load, the voltage drops down to the low-mid 1.3 (1.32ish?) range and the all core ghz drops to 4-4.1. My idle temperature is 30C'ish and goes up to 75-77 in prime95 and mid-high 60s when encoding....gaming, idk, somewhere in the 50s maybe at most.
Bios settings, i left the vcore auto with offset set to -.05, i could try to drop this down lower, but i dont want to waste time playing with my max offset until i know everything is working correctly. PBO is enabled, LLC = 3, using AMD CBS instead of "asrock settings", i cant think of any other relevant settings atm, but if you have a question about one i can look it up.

If this is normal and i dont have anything to worry about with it sitting at 1.425 idle with the temp at 30c then whatever. Note, i want this system to last another bit of time like my 3820 build did, so if this isnt ok for 24/7 long term usage, tell me.
Also, when i disable PBO the vid drops to 1.35 idle and even lower under load. The all core ghz idle is like 4.1 and 4ish under load with PBO disabled...temps are the same.

Thanks for any help!

edit
-forgot to mention C6 is disabled along with coolNquiet

·
Totally Tubular
1,508 Posts
-forgot to mention C6 is disabled along with coolNquiet
Isn't CnQ what makes the CPU down-clock and down-volt? The reason it's called Cool'n'Quiet is that it runs with less speed/voltage when not loaded so it's cooler and the fans can run slower/quieter.

And no, running a 24/7 essentially fixed overclock isn't bad as long as you control the voltage and keep it cool. That's the way all overclocking used to work, and that's the way I run my Threadripper system.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'm pretty sure your windows power profile changed this happened to me a few times. Make sure its on standard windows balanced not ryzen or high perf. Hope this helps

·
Totally Tubular
1,508 Posts
I'm pretty sure your windows power profile changed this happened to me a few times. Make sure its on standard windows balanced not ryzen or high perf. Hope this helps
No reason to switch plans.

High Performance or Ryzen Balanced can easily be made to down-clock if you want.

Windows Balanced is almost as bad as Power Saver.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Might be that the default settings are set to 100% processor state all the time. I had to tweak my Ryzen Balanced power settings so that it goes from 5 to 100% instead of being at 100% all the time.

it'll be under processor power management when you edit the power plan.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Don't use High Performance. Use Balanced or Ryzen Balanced and make sure the following value pictured is set to the value shown. People say not to use Ryzen Balanced because that value is normally set too high, but it is automatically set to 20% in Balanced. I don't use Cool 'N Quiet, but I don't think disabling C states will help your cause. The CPU needs to be able to control itself.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
to answer a few of the things asked -
-the only C state disabled is C6. i did not disabled the "Global C States" found in the CPU configuration in BIOS
-i am using balanced, min proc state is 5%, i have changed over to low power then back to balanced to see if this "resets" something...it didnt.
-AMD chipset and drivers have been installed

question, could there be something wonky going on with LLC thats causing the auto voltage +offset to go up on idle "in preparation" for the load vdroop that happens?
my older sandy bridge builds never did this, but is this something diff ryzen does?

for long term 24/7 viability, so the idle at 1.42-1.43 is ok if my temps are low, in this case they idle at 30C?

·
Registered
348 Posts
on my asus x299 apex when i used offset mode it has two types adaptive and something i had to use the latter setting because the adaptive was locking the voltage. sorry i cant for the life of me think what the other was called atm...

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
on my asus x299 apex when i used offset mode it has two types adaptive and something i had to use the latter setting because the adaptive was locking the voltage. sorry i cant for the life of me think what the other was called atm...
If you're seeing voltages that don't drop when idle it may be the LLC. I believe LLC works by applying more voltage than needed to prevent droop, but don't trust me on that.

My reported voltages in HWiNFO64 are: .806~1.531 "Current" // .794 "Minimum" // 1.544 "Maximum"

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you're seeing voltages that don't drop when idle it may be the LLC. I believe LLC works by applying more voltage than needed to prevent droop, but don't trust me on that.

My reported voltages in HWiNFO64 are: .806~1.531 "Current" // .794 "Minimum" // 1.544 "Maximum"
what LLC setting are you using on your CH7?

·
Registered
2,286 Posts

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
for solutions sake, i ended up turning coolNquiet back on and this solved all my issues. C6 is still disabled, my clocks/temps/volts are the same except now it downclocks correctly....if anything, it also boosts better now for some odd reason, idk.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
for solutions sake, i ended up turning coolNquiet back on and this solved all my issues. C6 is still disabled, my clocks/temps/volts are the same except now it downclocks correctly....if anything, it also boosts better now for some odd reason, idk.
That makes sense. I don't have cool n quiet but it obviously governs the CPU in ways that let it run its full range. And that is the key PBO. Letting the CPU run its full range.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts