Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have been having a hard time getting the information on this. I had a 720W power supply, so I thought I'd be able to run 2 285's, and not spend too much money. I had to upgrade my power supply anyway, to a Zalman HP-1000. My cards run fine now, but it would only cost about 250 cdn more to go to Quad SLi. I didn't do it in the first place, because I didn't plan on getting a new PSU. I have a Q9550 at 3.6 Ghz, and 4 gb of ram on a 780i mobo. I can play Crysis: Warhead fully on enthusiast and 4x AA at 1920 x 1200, but when the action gets too intense, it can drop to about 20fps, though it averages above 40 during most play.

Is this a CPU or GPU limitation?

Thank you for any help, I'm brand new to the forum, but I'll give rep for help.

·
Banned
11,459 Posts
It is probably a driver/GPU limitation not taking full advantage off QUAD SLI.

here is a good way to check: Run task manager in full screen (maximized) then play some crysis, when the action gets heated, tab out after a few seconds of low FPS. If you see close to 80% CPU usage then it is CPU bound. If you are looking at less than 60, I would think its GPU related

·
Premium Member
6,052 Posts
I say wait a while before going quad SLI. There are probably going to be a lot of bugs and with such new drivers you won't get close to the same performance as you should.
Stick with what you've got for now, there's no real point upgrading.

OK to deal with the drop in frames, do exactly XFreeRollerX suggested. I wouldn't be surprised if it's your CPU that's bottle necking because you have 2 extremely fast and powerful GPUs and I doubt that any CPU wouldn't bottle neck them.

~B~

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
I would wait till Nvidia's next cycle of cards, but it could be a CPU bottleneck. Check that first if so try overclocking that Q9550 more other than that. Core i7 would come in handy.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nseaton1 View Post
I can play Crysis: Warhead fully on enthusiast and 4x AA at 1920 x 1200, but when the action gets too intense, it can drop to about 20fps, though it averages above 40 during most play.
Is this a CPU or GPU limitation?
GPU limitation. That res, and the fact that Crysis is a GPU power devourer make it clear.

·
Premium Member
8,017 Posts
i would just wait for Windows 7 to be released, and wait for Dx11 cards are released... Your GTX 285 SLI should be fine until then.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts