Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a reference 290x and its been creating a couple of issues. It will shut down one of my 3 monitors when the temps get a little high and the other day it just crashed the system. Im fairly certain its heat related. My question is does any one have any ideas how to remedy that?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Have you tried replacing the thermal paste on the cooler that may help as sometimes the stock thermal paste can be incorrectly applied or there may be to much/not enough paste. Also at what temps does you card shut down? is your fan spinning at full speed?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I havent tried replacing the thermal paste yet. That was what I was going to do next. The temps are 60-64 at idle and hit 77 playing planetside 2 with fans going full speed and unfortunately that is extremely loud as one of my case fans is insanely over powered. If I run the fans at full speed while idling the gpu comes down to 57-58.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
77C is a very reasonable temperature for a GPU. are you sure it's not a power problem?

·
Meep
5,592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrane83 View Post

I havent tried replacing the thermal paste yet. That was what I was going to do next. The temps are 60-64 at idle and hit 77 playing planetside 2 with fans going full speed and unfortunately that is extremely loud as one of my case fans is insanely over powered. If I run the fans at full speed while idling the gpu comes down to 57-58.
That's definitely not right. What were your ambient temperatures at that time?

But like previously said, its probably the thermal paste.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 77 temp is after adjusting the fans and adding a beefier fan to the setup. After about a half hr of running the system at full fan speed the temps did drop to 40 but when I turned the fans back down temps went back up to 58.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will be changing out the thermal paste this weekend and Im fairly certain that its not a power issue. Im running a AX860 which is more then enough power and with the way its acting I think its more of a heat issue.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
You should first try to troubleshoot the problem. Work with a step by step approach. For the moment you seem to think this is related to heat. It could be something else.
Have you updated drivers (bios mobo)? If you have only 2 monitor with one of which is the one shutting down, do you have the same problem?

I have no clue what is your issue but if you troubleshoot yourself you should be able to discard the heat hypothesis by reproducing the problem when the card is not running hot by example.

One way I could think of is to reduce ambiant temperature, kind of hard with summer time. Or you run the fan at a lower % and see how fast your monitor shut down. These are just ideas how you could find out if the temperature is really the culprit. I REALLY DOUBT. Try different ports on the card also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts