Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Like the title says, finally ready to start building my new PC. More importantly, my best/oldest gaming buddy's end of service date is approaching (Marine Corps been killing my Elo in every game) and he's finally ready to invest in something substantial for competitive gaming. So we're building identical rigs!

I've learned a lot along the way, but I was hoping some of the more seasoned/experienced experts could give this build a look and make sure everything is set to jet. Please note, when it comes to gaming, this rig will be running Overwatch, CS:GO, DotA or PUBG almost exclusively. Also for we're both covered for mass storage so it's not included in the build.

CPU - Intel i7-8700k
Cooler - ???
GPU - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
RAM - Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4-3000
SSD - Samsung 960 EV0 250GB*
PCB - ASRock Z370 Killer
PSU - Seasonic FOCUS Plus 550FX*

(* = EDIT: changed for lower wattage PSU, added 960 EVO NVMe again, can't decide on cooler

I changed the SSD back to a lower capacity with albeit impracticably high speeds, mostly because we each own a 4TB HDD already)

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks for looking!

·
Eh, Wha?
9,940 Posts
Double your SSD capacity by going with a MydigitalSSD SBX. Sure, it benches slower, but you'll literally never notice in actual application. You will however notice the difference between having twice as many games / applications installed to a SSD vs a HDD.

CLC coolers are overpriced garbage with built-in planned obsolescence. Grab a nice tower cooler like the Noctua D14/15, Cryorig R1, etc. They'll last longer, cool better, make less noise, require less cleaning, and all for a lower price point.

You're missing a power supply. Assuming you don't already have one, I suggest a Seasonic Focus 550W.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,826 Posts
The CPU cooler is not all that great and a dual tower air cooler would not only better and more quiet it would be cheaper and more reliable
SSD is a waste of money as almost nothing can take advantage of the NVME protocole so drop that and go with an ACHI based drive instead

PSU is way overkill and a 450 watt could power that system so drop to a lower wattage PSU

Beside that there are a number of complaints about the G3 and its noise when used in eco mode
http://www.overclock.net/forum/31-p...evga-supernova-g3-eco-mode-noise-problem.html

The Seasonic Focus Plus or the Prime Ultra is a better option
So no your system is not ready to go and there are lots of stuff in your system as is it is now you get nothing out of and are a waste of money

You can save money on the cooler the SSD and the PSU and might have enough money saved from all that get a GTX 1070

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You can save money on the cooler the SSD and the PSU and might have enough money saved from all that get a GTX 1070
CLC coolers are overpriced garbage with built-in planned obsolescence...

...Assuming you don't already have one, I suggest a Seasonic Focus 550W.
Thank you for the quick replies! I edited the PSU as per your suggestions, and I'll definitely look into an air cooler. Planned obsolescence is pure evil afiac so thanks for the heads-up, I've been out of the market for a long long time as you might tell.

Can you give me some more information on CLC coolers? I thought they've come a long way since 2013, but it seems I may have assumed too much.

What would you all suggest as an ideal SSD with double the capacity (500GB) without a noticeable drop in performance?
EDIT: Would this WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB meet my criteria?

Thanks again, this forum has really improved my QoL over the years, so I really appreciate it.

·
Old to Overclock.net
4,088 Posts
I'd also get a 500GB 2.5 inch SSD versus a 250 GB NVMe. As mentioned above, in real world things we do, you will barely notice any differece. My MX100 boots to Win 7 in under 20 seconds and launches apps fast. It also shuts down in under 10 seconds. More space you can use, you'll be surprised how fast a 250 GB SSD runs out of space.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,826 Posts
CLC coolers are still not all that great and air coolers are almost always better unless you either have a tiny tiny case where an air cooler wont fit
Or if you buy a huge 280-360-420mm cooler and at that point you are paying a hell of a lot more

http://www.overclock.net/forum/61-w...y-you-should-probably-not-buy-clc-cooler.html

As for SSD the Crucial MX500 has one of the lowest dollar per gigabyte price on the market right now but i dont know if the M.2 version is out yet?
Or there is the Samsung 860 Evo which comes in both M.2 and 2,5 inch SATA forms

Both the MX500 and the 860 Evo uses the older AHCI protocole
As for an air cooler you got the Phanteks TC12DX the Noctua NH-U12S and NH-U14S and the Cryorig H5 Universal and Ultimate

·
Old to Overclock.net
4,088 Posts
Thank you for the quick replies! I edited the PSU as per your suggestions, and I'll definitely look into an air cooler. Planned obsolescence is pure evil afaic so thanks for the heads-up, I've been out of the market for a long long time as you might tell.

Can you give me some more information on CLC coolers? I thought they've come a long way since 2013, but it seems I may have assumed too much.

What would you all suggest as an ideal SSD with double the capacity (500GB) without a noticeable drop in performance?

Thanks again, this forum has really improved my QoL over the years, so I really appreciate it.
CLCs have gotten better (in term of reliability) but the performance really has stayed the same. I've used CLCs and around 2.5-3 years, water permeation becomes an issue and you either buy a new one or fill it up yourself (which is a PITA - new tubes and all).

A good SSD to look at would be the Crucial MX500 500GB. I've had my MX100 and it's running perfect on it's 5th year with no issues or slowdowns. Any SSD will perform super fast for what we do everyday, opening apps, etc., so you really wouldn't notice the difference.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Funny thing, I found that same thread after doing some quick research. So I guess it turns out I'm a sucker for marketing because I didn't even question this to begin with, same goes for the NVME speeds, and I am ashamed. Although I should be glad; at least I'm not trigger happy!

I edited my OP to include this WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB. Is there any practical difference between that and the 860 Evo?

·
Old to Overclock.net
4,088 Posts
The Evo 960 is a tad bit faster (which you wouldn't notice at all) than the WD Blue (which is also the Sandisk Ultra 3d).

EDIT: I'd choose the MX500 for 2 reasons, it has power loss protection and encryption support. The Blue and Sandisk don't have it.

·
Eh, Wha?
9,940 Posts
Funny thing, I found that same thread after doing some quick research. So I guess it turns out I'm a sucker for marketing because I didn't even question this to begin with, same goes for the NVME speeds, and I am ashamed. Although I should be glad; at least I'm not trigger happy!

I edited my OP to include this WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB. Is there any practical difference between that and the 860 Evo?
If you're going with a SATA SSD, I'd get the Crucial MX500. Otherwise, I'd go with the MyDigitalSSD SBX.

The Samsung 860evo is fast for a SATA drive, sure, but it is also priced into NVMe territory so it makes no sense at all. The WD is fine on paper, but being the same price as the MX500 and having very similar specs, I see no reason to go with a company that specializes in HDDs over a company that specializes in SSDs and RAM.

Personally, I'd go with the SBX, but both are solid choices. The (admittedly niche) benefits of a NVMe drive over SATA are worth the 30 dollar price difference to me.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,826 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks again for the help all. I changed the SSD back to the original listing with Samsung 250GB 960 EVO. After some research I decided the price point for the speed is nice, and seeing as how we both have a 4TB HDD for storage I don't need a 500GB boot drive, but Quinnlain can decide for himself.

As for an air cooler you got the Phanteks TC12DX the Noctua NH-U12S and NH-U14S and the Cryorig H5 Universal and Ultimate...

...These are the air coolers i was talking about

I looked at all the coolers you posted/mentioned, as well as a lot of the Noctua coolers. I remember these from my first build, I chose a nice fat ThermalTake cooler back then and it keeps my 4.5 GHz 3570k nice and cool (with new fans). Noctua coolers are big and beautiful and I would love to incorporate something like the NH-D15S or NH-U14S. My problem is, their color/aesthetic is very unique, which I appreciate, and I wanted to keep everything black/grey as to keep options open for colored cable modding in the near future. So ideally I would like to find some direct replacements for these fans (not familiar with Noctua cable mgmt/routing) without any color.

Suggestions?

EDIT: Did some digging and already found Noctua has plenty of replacement fan options; but of course nothing in plain/basic black! Their Chromax line of fans seems to be almost exactly what I was looking for.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,826 Posts
You should still drop the NVME SSD as there is nothing that can actually uses the faster speeds
Linus did a video where they tested NVME drives and all of their testing showed that an NVME SSD does not load as much as a second faster in any game

The problem with NVME drives is they are held back by huge software limitations in Windows
Now if you are using Linux or if you are a professional working with huge workloads then yes an NVME SSD can be faster otherwise they are not

Why do you want a smaller drive that is faster on paper but is NOT faster out in the real world
Looking at specs is fine but that does not always tell you the whole story and the story here is NVME drives at this point in time is a pointless gimmick

·
Meep
5,592 Posts
EDIT: Did some digging and already found Noctua has plenty of replacement fan options; but of course nothing in plain/basic black! Their Chromax line of fans seems to be almost exactly what I was looking for.

Alternatively, there's also Thermalright, they have coolers with, imo, the best balance between performance, price, aesthetics and quality.

Links:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIACFW57P5018
https://www.amazon.com/Thermalright-814256001052-Macho-Rev-B/dp/B00PKJ21LW
https://www.amazon.com/Grand-Macho-fan-TY-147B/dp/B01BCLXO7Q

1 - 14 of 14 Posts