Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm having an issue with my 2nd SATA drive being undetected in Vista. I have 2 drives (Both 500GB caviar's, One black and one blue) Both with vista installed. I stopped using the Caviar Blue after i bought a Caviar Black in the expectation that it'd be faster but in fact it was the other way round; Nevertheless, The old drive still has an OS on it and about 200GB free which is more than enough for my backups (which is what i was intending to use it for). It has worked/appeared once before, But now basically when i boot it won't detect the other drive in windows. BIOS will detect it, Windows will tell me it's installing driver software for it, But it won't appear in my computer. Both drives boot fine and i've had no issues with either, So i guess it's a problem with vista. Another wierd issue is how it details the drive in Disk Management.

hdddetectissue.jpg

In this screenshot the drive i'm booting from is the bottom one, C:\, And the other drive is at the top; Which curiously displays as having the full drive's worth of space free, With no drive letter, And the file system as RAW (Even though it is NTFS like the other one).

Do you guys have any ideas what may be causing this?

Thanks for any advice provided.

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgta16;14137677
Do you guys have any ideas what may be causing this?
Do you get the Windows boot loader at startup?
Are both Vista installations shown?

If either is a no, then you have two drives, each with it's own boot sector and boot loader.

If you install an OS to a drive that drive gets it's boot sector modified to point the boot loader the install put on that drive. It doesn't make any difference where you put the actual "Windows" files, the first drive the installer finds gets the boot sector and boot loader for that install.

Looks like you've got two drives, each with a boot sector and a boot loader., but each pointing to a different OS. Reverse the plugs on the drives and the other OS should boot. Or you can just change the order of the drives in the "boot" section of your BIOS.

To fix, you'll have to reads about BCDedit, a program from M$.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When i boot i don't get the boot loader, It just boots to whatever i've specified first in the BIOS, Which is unusual because the one time it did detect it i'm pretty sure the boot loader appeared. I'm not sure if i explained in the OP but i am booting from the other drive, As in the Caviar Blue that i stopped using, And it doesn't detect the one i normally use.

Thanks for the advice but could you explain a few things for me as i'm a bit confused as to what they mean; When you say each drive has a boot sector that points to a different OS, Do you mean that the Caviar Blue is pointing to the Caviar Black and vice versa? Also when you say to reverse the plugs do you just mean change the cable?

Sorry if the above sounds stupid.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgta16;14137677
Vista.
Not to be a jerk, but there's your problem right there.

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by macgta16
View Post

When i boot i don't get the boot loader, It just boots to whatever i've specified first in the BIOS, Which is unusual because the one time it did detect it i'm pretty sure the boot loader appeared. I'm not sure if i explained in the OP but i am booting from the other drive, As in the Caviar Blue that i stopped using, And it doesn't detect the one i normally use.

Thanks for the advice but could you explain a few things for me as i'm a bit confused as to what they mean; When you say each drive has a boot sector that points to a different OS, Do you mean that the Caviar Blue is pointing to the Caviar Black and vice versa? Also when you say to reverse the plugs do you just mean change the cable? Yes, that could be your problem. And just reversing the ports the drives are connected to may solve it.

Sorry if the above sounds stupid.

When a computer starts up, at the end of the post routine (before actual booting starts), a tiny snipet of code is loaded into memory and executed. That code tells the computer where it OS loader is located (what drive/partition). That tiny snipet of code is is added to the boot sector of the first drive (listed in the BIOS) when an OS is first installed. Again, it doesn't make any difference where you put the windows files, that first drive always gets it's boot sector, which points to where ever you actually did put the OS.

So, if you have multiple drives, each with a boot sector pointing to a different OS install, the first drive (listed in the BIOS) seen at startup will point to the OS as indicated by it's boot sector.

The easiest way to fix something like you have is to reinstall the OSs. M$ in all their wisdom, will automatically set up a correct boot sector to point a a boot loader that will give you the option for booting either OS.

As I said previously though, you can use BCDedit to reconfigure what happens at startup...it's just neither simple, easy, nor safe to do.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah OK i understand now
smile.gif

I apologize if i didn't make this clear in the first post but i don't actually want to boot from the other drive, I simply want to access the data from it, And i already have backups on the Caviar Blue drive from when it worked before. Do you have any other things i could try?

·
Dream Chaser
3,766 Posts
Have you tried assigning a letter to the drive?? I had a drive one time that was detected in BIOS but not in OS. Went in Assigned a letter to it and BAM, it worked.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wasn't really sure about that; This may sound like a stupid reason but i assumed the drive letter was stored on the HDD locally, And changing it would f*** stuff up if i wanted to boot it again (The HDD it won't detect is C:\\, And so is the one i'm booting from). Is this correct?

·
Dream Chaser
3,766 Posts
Exactly. Theres your problem. It was C and the one you boot from is C so it bumped that one off. Change the letter and it'll show up. I am like 90% sure on it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK well i booted from my main drive and that seems to be able to detect my backup drive fine; Not sure why i didn't think of that in the first place, I'm guessing it's something to do with the windows installation on the other drive. Thanks for the advice anyway guys.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts