Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to underclock my server[i/i] / uTorrent machine.

The clip on the cooler retention bracket (the black plastic on the mobo) broke so the cooler's tied on with zipties.

I want to run the rig pretty much 24/7 but for utorrent - nothing really more strenuous.

Is underclocking the same as overclocking. Reduce the multi / FSB and volts. run stress test, repeat.

I've got Win 7 installed. I'll turn off all of the eye candy in Win 7. I'll control the PC through Real VNC and my sig rig. The CPU's a XII 7750. The mobo's a Gigabyte GA MA 78GM US2H. 3 x HDs. 80Gb OS + 2x 500Gb WD Greens.

What CPU freq. should I aim for? 1.5GHz? Lower? Any suggestions as to what volts the low underclock will need?

Thanks a lot.

Mike

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by makecoldplayhistory
View Post

I want to underclock my server[i/i] / uTorrent machine.

The clip on the cooler retention bracket (the black plastic on the mobo) broke so the cooler's tied on with zipties.

I want to run the rig pretty much 24/7 but for utorrent - nothing really more strenuous.

Is underclocking the same as overclocking. Reduce the multi / FSB and volts. run stress test, repeat.

I've got Win 7 installed. I'll turn off all of the eye candy in Win 7. I'll control the PC through Real VNC and my sig rig. The CPU's a XII 7750. The mobo's a Gigabyte GA MA 78GM US2H. 3 x HDs. 80Gb OS + 2x 500Gb WD Greens.

What CPU freq. should I aim for? 1.5GHz? Lower? Any suggestions as to what volts the low underclock will need?

Thanks a lot.

Mike

Well if it's just for running uTorrent, hell, 800Mhz will work for you. Underclocking is pretty much only achievable by reducing the multiplier. Frequency shouldn't be able to go lower than 200. What I would do is start at 800Mhz and then work your way up until you find an acceptable downclock.

reduce the voltage as well if your motherboard allows it. What I would generally do is let it run at full speed with CnQ enabled and see what voltage it uses when it drops your CPU to 800Mhz idle and start with those settings. If you're still wanting to conserve power, use only 1 stick of RAM.

One question, what OS will you be using?

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I want to know how you broke the Cooler's Handle..? o_O

·
Registered
566 Posts
You may be able to set the multiplier to 1x (200mhz, I've never tried that) instead of the regular 4x. If bios doesn't allow, you can try setting it using software. Pretty sure utorrent still won't use a fraction of that.

At 800mhz, you can aim for the 0.8-0.9v mark, but I'm not sure how well that processor undervolts compared to Phenom II or Turion 64 (desktop and laptop, both can do 800mhz at 0.8v).

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all.

I'm running Win 7 with all of the eye candy turned off (looks like Win 2000).

I didn't do anything to the handle. The mobo was running caseless and I heard a ping!

I think my Dad'll have an old AMD mobo somewhere - I'll take the bracket when I'm home at Christmas.

I've set it to 200 x 4 = 800Mhz. That's the lowest my mobo'll go.

I'm stress testing at 1.0v at the moment.

Yes, I've got 1 x 2 Gb RAM.

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by makecoldplayhistory View Post
Thanks all.

I'm running Win 7 with all of the eye candy turned off (looks like Win 2000).

I didn't do anything to the handle. The mobo was running caseless and I heard a ping!

I think my Dad'll have an old AMD mobo somewhere - I'll take the bracket when I'm home at Christmas.

I've set it to 200 x 4 = 800Mhz. That's the lowest my mobo'll go.

I'm stress testing at 1.0v at the moment.

Yes, I've got 1 x 2 Gb RAM.
Niceness

1 - 6 of 6 Posts