Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2TB Western digital green drive. When i plug it into the PC my bios doesn't recognize it, but sometimes it does for some reason. Depends on the boot, then when i get it to show up in disk management it wont let me format, it says failed. I have updated to the latest bios and nvidia drivers. I have a xfx 790i ultra sli motherboard if that helps. Does anyone know why it wont work? I have googled this and it seems to be a common problem with large drives like this, and i dont think it is a bad harddrive since so many people are having the same issue. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Found this on another site which might help

Quote:
in the bios there is this option for IDE simulation. (for use with legacy OS)

turn that on. that should do the trick. otherwise install windows xp with the sata driver trick. (pain)

strange that that happens. i believe that should fix the problem, but not so sure.

also try making sure the power and all the cables are connected properly.
Odd
Have you tired a different sata cable as it could be as simple as that as you did say sometimes its recognised and other times it isn't

It could also simply be down to the BIOS just not supporting it so you may need to RMA it and get 2x1TB or something

Hope you find a solution.

·
Premium Member
4,678 Posts
If there is a bios update, update it. But yea, alot of times it's just a simple changing out the sata cable and using a different sata port.
I have run into this problem several times over the past years and sata cables do become defective.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts