Overclock.net banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ive literally spent almost the entire last three days pulling my hair out on what to choose. Going to be running 3 monitors for surround gaming.

Im an nvidia fanboi, they just *work good*, i always had problems with games and drivers with ATI in the past... however, at the end of the day, the $500 price difference is no joke.

im currently reading overclockers and trying to get drunk in the hopes ill impulse buy the 580's, but meh. im not even a little closer to a decision.
 

·
Back to Building
Joined
·
4,863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonjar;14173076
So ive literally spent almost the entire last three days pulling my hair out on what to choose. Going to be running 3 monitors for surround gaming.

Im an nvidia fanboi, they just *work good*, i always had problems with games and drivers with ATI in the past... however, at the end of the day, the $500 price difference is no joke.

im currently reading overclockers and trying to get drunk in the hopes ill impulse buy the 580's, but meh. im not even a little closer to a decision.
is 3 6970s a possibility? otherwise the 580s will be faster, but if its worth the huge $$$ difference thats up to u, it wasnt for me
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,524 Posts
The 580s are definitely better. $500 better is your call. Keep in mind, you ARE going to have triple monitor surround.

Or just get another 570 as already mentioned.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0CALEFACTION0;14173099
I would go the Nvidia route simply because many games are "Nvidia: The way it's meant to be played."
exactly.. isnt that why we should all?
headscratch.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust;14173089
just get another 570
SLI 570s is not going to drive 3 monitors. Unless it's the 2.5GB model.

Maybe 3 HD6970 is what you're looking for? Because it will still cost less than 2 3GB 580s.

If tri~crossfire is not an option, then I would go for the HD6970s; Because for me, the extra 500 dollars just don't justify the performance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
515 Posts
One 6970 is enough. I have 2 of them in CF and don't see a difference comparing with one card. Only in benchmarks I see higher numbers.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zylonite;14173143
One 6970 is enough. I have 2 of them in CF and don't see a difference comparing with one card. Only in benchmarks I see higher numbers.
He has three monitors .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0CALEFACTION0;14173099
I would go the Nvidia route simply because many games are "Nvidia: The way it's meant to be played."
Yeah, i believe this is the root cause of issues ive had in the past. Nvidia is sort of the industry reference.

The 3rd 6970 is sort of my future proofing ace in the hole, if i find its not enough, buy a third and come out to the same price i would have spent.

Another 570 wont work, I need more vram.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,552 Posts
6970's, and buy better monitors with the money saved.

The 6xxx Series really shines in Crossfire.
 

·
100LB Rig Club
Joined
·
2,573 Posts
2 6970s and add another if needed for roughly the same price. The extra VRAM will help on the 3 monitor setup. Plus AMD drivers are decent nowadays.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,133 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by zylonite
View Post

One 6970 can handle 4 displays. So i don't see your point....

not
enough
power
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,372 Posts
I second the 6970's if cost is a concern. The 2 580's are fantastic, but they do cost a pretty penny. If your looking to limit your expense then 2 6970's will serve you better than another 570 in surround/eyefinity.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,732 Posts
I'd buy a 6990 +6970 Trifire combo before I'd pay the same price for 2 GTX580. It's just not worth it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,524 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Alonjar
View Post

The 3rd 6970 is sort of my future proofing ace in the hole, if i find its not enough, buy a third and come out to the same price i would have spent.

The only issues is that as you increase number of GPUs, scaling gets worse and worse, as do compatibility problems. It would also use a lot more power and generate a lot more heat. I would personally never get more than two GPUs. In fact, I like to have one fast GPU, although I have only one monitor.

Quote:


Originally Posted by zylonite
View Post

One 6970 can handle 4 displays. So i don't see your point....

Performance. Do you mean a single 6970 handles all the latest games at 5760x1080 with good FPS?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,130 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by zylonite
View Post

One 6970 can handle 4 displays. So i don't see your point....

it may be able to run on one card but that dont always mean it can play smoothly at such a high resolution. For every monitor you add it almost cuts your frame rate down.

so if you have 3 monitors your fps going to be 1/3 of what it usually is with one monitor, but since the res is just one giant screen .. this is just an example

but to the op if you can afford 580's go that route but otherwise i would say the ati route
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
643 Posts
As said above, is it worth the $500 difference? I get 60 fps with medium settings at 6052x 1080 on bc2. I'm sure with another one, you'd be able to hit that on high settings. The current amd cards scale fabulously.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,372 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by timAHH
View Post

Performance. Do you mean a single 6970 handles all the latest games at 5760x1080 with good FPS?

No. It does not.
 
1 - 20 of 89 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top