Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just interested if there is any experience if 2x 40 mm fans will make any difference in temps, placing them where the DIMM clips are so they blow in the space between the sticks and against of each other so they would finally press the heat out.

Fans intendet for this would be the noctua NF-A4x20 PWM

thanks for any experience or constructive feedback ;)

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And what you bought?
Thanks for the reply...

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
I'm not recommending the one I bought because it's a little bit janky, for sure. But it works and I don't care about looks/lights/noise yada yada (lol).
This is the cooler I bought for $20. One of the fans needed to be 'snapped' back as it was tilted and therefore wouldn't spin; but works now. If it dies in a month I wouldn't be surprised. Hoping it doesn't. :LOL:

FWIW~

·
god loves ugly
4,253 Posts
Yep, a little forced air movement makes more difference than you may think. It should work best if they sit relatively flush against the RAM sticks. I'd stack them on top of each other along the RAM sticks, blowing against the motherboard

This way, there will be a channel for the hot air to escape at the top/bottom of the RAM sticks near the slot tabs. You don't want the fans working against each other, they'll just create turbulence (noise) for very little gain.

Back in the DDR2 days I had some kits that really responded well to voltage, I lazily used a 120MM fan with some success

·
AMD OC'ing Enthusiast
3,107 Posts
Just find a threaded stud about 6 inches long that replaces one of the motherboard mounting screws and a few nuts to secure it (and some plastic washers if worried), and mount a fan up.

If the motherboard is vertical like most setups, you can put any fan you want hanging out and keep the ram cool. Then find a cheap noctua fan on ebay for 10-20 bucks that can run at full speed without creating a bunch of noise.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello there. I have tried the smaller fans on the ram. I have found that a single 120mm fan placed directly over the ram sticks provides better cooling than if 2 of the smaller 40mm fans were placed over the ram. Corsair and gskill also sell ram coolers.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the imput and sharing, will pickup the small fand today, experiment a bit and come back with my findings...🙂

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
21,374 Posts
just get some speaker tire, loop one side through a fan, and stick the other end through a fan hole on your case and tie a knot. it's what I do.

·
Manual breath enabled
1,327 Posts
Better go with a 120mm fan. Will be silent and works great too!
Like in the Pic from The Pook

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
9A71ECD0-D4CF-4C01-BEF1-B7274085383C.jpeg
Well the reason why i want to doo it as described is that i dont want to hide the beauty of the sticks... looking for a compromise, the 40mm fans will not cover the sticks and lets see what drop in temps if any i will achieve... i know a bigger fan would give me a better result... just wanted to know if somone has experience with the small ones...

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well it took me some time but here is what it became....

69F94741-ED67-47BA-8561-F1DD10B049DC.jpeg

basic paintjob with alcohol marker.... no art but nobody is looking close in the case....

7629E16A-8332-4BBF-947B-2D7E05C52A6C.jpeg

thats the whole picture.... i thing its pretty decent and doesnt harm the RAM at all.... most important thing ofc :D

And here are the results with just stress-tested the ram:

without fans on:
Mem Temp test without Fans.JPG

with fans on:
Mem Temp test with Fans.JPG

As you can see i having there the RX5700 XT gaming from MSI, which i changed for an XFX6900 XT Merc 319 black which is longer and the last fan of the GPU is blowing against the ram and the bottom fan. Result ? As the orientation of the bottom fan is intake from GPU its actually warming up the rams but keeping it to 42C while gaming. Want to try to spin it to exhaust orientation (intake from ram - exhaust towards the gpu) if it helps to gain some degree.... But in general im more than happy with the results of it.... And regarding the noise? I dont hear them as my case intake fans are louder and closer......

060E4443-0BE0-4950-800C-B5054C0735EE.jpeg
this is the updated look....

Yes i know a bigger fan would make a bigger difference or providing better results but it would also hide the rams and i want them exposed to my view :D

For any questions or ideas how to improve the concept let me know....

·
Premium Member
27,524 Posts
Back in the day of hot RAM I had good luck using 80-90mm fan with a shroud from fan to slightly bigger than RAM top size to force air down into RAM. I suspect same would apply to fan and duct on end size forcing air into RAM.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,715 Posts
Back in the day of hot RAM I had good luck using 80-90mm fan with a shroud from fan to slightly bigger than RAM top size to force air down into RAM. I suspect same would apply to fan and duct on end size forcing air into RAM.
Yes......but......

Yes i know a bigger fan would make a bigger difference or providing better results but it would also hide the rams and i want them exposed to my view :D
And that is where I shrug and walk away....

·
Old and Decrepit
2,052 Posts
Good air flow in your case goes a long way. I have a pair of the corsair coolers that comes with an 8X8GB kit that I had on for like 5 minutes. Those little fans are just too loud. If you have decent heatsink on the ram (premium ram comes with decent sinks) and good air flow across them you wont run into problems. I think my hottest stick is 36C normally and a few of them spike up to 40C when doing an AIDA64 ram bench. Corsair dominator platinum RGB 3600 CL18 running at 3600 CL16 and 1.40 Vram. Its hotter than the other 7 sticks because is sits next to a DIMM.2 with a pair of Intel 905P M.2 drives in it.

This is during ram bench, the last two are closest to the DIMM.2. This is with nothing but fresh air intake from a rear fan and exhaust through a rad on the top and a rad in the front. I expect improvement when I yank the rad from the top and the fan from the rear and put 3x 140MM fans blowing down on my VRM heatsink and the top of the board in general.

I actually tried the EK ram WC kit and while on an ASUS Maximus IX formula and it was a little better like by 2C but didn't warrant the added restriction in the loop. Now the heat sinks and ram cooler are collecting dust in my basement. (the heatsinks without the water block are actually better than the stock sinks on a Trident Z kit)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts