Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title basically says it all. Right now I'm rolling with 2 1gb 5770's and if this thread is to be trusted at all the 5850 ranks six all by itself.

I'm not sure how the performance of my 2 5770's stacks up, but they are 20th on that list so I would imagine they wouldn't pass maybe 10th together?

Also an option is maybe waiting for the new nvidia cards? Have there been any benchmarks or pricing on them? All I would have to spend really is what I could get for both 5770's.

LASTLY, the only reason I'm looking at this is because Metro 2033 is terribly laggy on my computer even with settings turned down.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
The 5850 Will overclock better and the 5770's oc well also but I think the two 5770's will beat the 5850. But if you like the single card go with the 5850. I do not know how much better but I wouldn't think its more then10-15% better then a 5850.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I sort of want to go with a single card again. I was thinking that it might be a sidegrade too. Thanks for the input

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
It would definitely be a sidegrade or very slight downgrade. If you wanted a single card solution then you could probably sell your 5770s and make enough or almost enough to purchase a 5850. I guess you would have higher minimum frames in Metro 2033 so you may experience smoother gameplay. I've heard the DX11 setting in Metro tears any DX11 card apart and it doesn't look much better than DX9. Maybe you should try setting the game to DX9 and all settings on high, I'm sure your cards would do great.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhaedraCorruption View Post
I would actually just go with the cheapest option. Get a third 5770. IIRC they can do tri fire
Well I'm unemployed so I don't have any extra money to be spending. Also my board doesn't have 3 slots

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I would go for the 5850, not because I have one -and love it-, but because it cuts potential problems by 50%. You also don't get micro stuttering and you will never have to worry whether a game uses crossfire or not. Theres also the amazing overclocking and less heat compared to two 5770s. Just my
, I'll be buying another 5770 for my bro later and I'll be able to see which is really worth the $.

·
15,777 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhaedraCorruption View Post
I would actually just go with the cheapest option. Get a third 5770. IIRC they can do tri fire
This.
But then again. it might be cheaper to stick to those cards you have untill you upgrade later.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well like I said, my board only has the two slots and I don't have any money to spend unless I were to sell something. After what I've read here I'm just going to stick to my 2 5770s though.

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
your two 5770's perform on par with a 5870.

A third card will only do well for you in some games. Others you will not see a single fps of gain. I'll try to find the review I saw to prove this.

Stick with your two cards, or sell them and buy an 5870 or greater, otherwise the only thing you are buying is a setup they has the potential to be better down the road if you go back to a cf setup, but is currently worse.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hoth17
View Post

your two 5770's perform on par with a 5870.

A third card will only do well for you in some games. Others you will not see a single fps of gain. I'll try to find the review I saw to prove this.

Stick with your two cards, or sell them and buy an 5870 or greater, otherwise the only thing you are buying is a setup they has the potential to be better down the road if you go back to a cf setup, but is currently worse.

Here is a 5770 trifire review. http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon...x-review-test/

·
Registered
202 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 495
View Post

Go for the 5850. Its a monster card... if not, make an effort yo buy a 5870/5970...

His 2 5770's are faster. Wow sometimes it's like people just throw random thoughts out there with no thought about what they're saying.

·
Banned
1,417 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 495
View Post

Go for the 5850. Its a monster card... if not, make an effort yo buy a 5870/5970...

Why would you want him to trade down?

·
semi-legit
7,980 Posts
+1 for just keep 'em.

The only logical side-grade would be a 5870, and that's just going to cost you more money...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts