Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would 2 128Mb GeForce 6800's in SLI run better than 1 256Mb 7800GT? I am building a system for a friend and was wondering which would be better right out of the box?

·
Premium Member
2,485 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by crashovride02

Would 2 128Mb GeForce 6800's in SLI run better than 1 256Mb 7800GT? I am building a system for a friend and was wondering which would be better right out of the box?

I think it would be close with the 128mb GT's, but I suggest getting the 7800GT regardless. He could always buy a second later down the road to up his performance.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sun

I think it would be close with the 128mb GT's, but I suggest getting the 7800GT regardless. He could always buy a second later down the road to up his performance.

That is what I was thinking too but wasn't sure. That's why I love this site

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bump. Anyone else want to chime in?

·
Registered
18 Posts
What's your friend planning to use it for? Is he really into "everything has to be on high"... I am putting together a budget rig myself and I am going with a 6800GS for now which will serve me okay and then when people are dumping thier 6800GS later to get the latest and greatest, I will probably grab another one cheap for SLI mode.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by juggy99

What's your friend planning to use it for? Is he really into "everything has to be on high"... I am putting together a budget rig myself and I am going with a 6800GS for now which will serve me okay and then when people are dumping thier 6800GS later to get the latest and greatest, I will probably grab another one cheap for SLI mode.

Well 1 7800GT costs about $40 less than 2 6800's but from what I have been reading the 7800GT would still be just as good and if he wants too I guess he can just get aother one later.

·
Premium Member
5,145 Posts
The 7800gt has more features that future games will use. I wouldn't recommend buying last gen cards.

·
Premium Member
5,145 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by not2bad

If you overclock the 7800GT enough you get GTX performance

You'd still be missing 4 pipes though...

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As always thanks for the help everyone!! This site is awsome!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Go with one 7800 gt over the 6800 sli setup. All of the reasons listed above are good reasons but it is also nice to have a simple rig set up. It is nice to have a simple rig because it will lessen chance of having problems, there will be less heat generated by one card, etc.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I went with 2-6800 GS 256 MB cards in SLI over a single card. At the time I bought them, they were cheaper than a single 7800GTX and give me better performance (10,081 in 3DMark05) in the near term. By the time these cards are no longer cutting it, it'll be time to upgrade to the next latest and greatest set of "value" cards. I've also noticed that I get better "minimum" frame-rates with SLI.

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
Your 4 GB of ram can't hurt, either.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feirax

I went with 2-6800 GS 256 MB cards in SLI over a single card. At the time I bought them, they were cheaper than a single 7800GTX and give me better performance (10,081 in 3DMark05) in the near term.

great point

·
Registered
46 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orange

Well of couse the 7800GT will beat pretty much any 6 series card in SLi......so get the 7800GT its uber

You should checkout the benchmark sticky at the top of the forum.

·
Registered
907 Posts
well from what i have read the 6800gt and ultra in sli are better than one single 7800gt but its only by 1/2 fps with the gt and 12fps with the ultra im sure if you overclocked the 7800gt it wouldnt be far of
and as everyone has said you can pic one up cheap later on and will last you a couple of years more
heres the test on all the cards GREAT !!!!!

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/12/...ii/page16.html

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by enzo15

well from what i have read the 6800gt and ultra in sli are better than one single 7800gt but its only by 1/2 fps with the gt and 12fps with the ultra im sure if you overclocked the 7800gt it wouldnt be far of
and as everyone has said you can pic one up cheap later on and will last you a couple of years more
heres the test on all the cards GREAT !!!!!

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/12/...ii/page16.html

Look at the other charts. Not only are the 2 in SLI slower in all the other games, but they lose by 300% in one of 'em.

·
Premium Member
20,531 Posts
I recently went from 2 6600GT's in SLi to a single 7800Gt and the differences in all benches were less than 10% improvement. 6800GT's are definitely faster but the upgrade path becomes the issue. the reason I went to a 7800Gt is so that I could get two in SLI, which will beat a 513MB GTX for performance (And is cheaper). I'd say go 7800GT. Add a second when budget allows and then you will have a true monster (I'm hoping to install my second 7800Gt tonight)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts