Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm aware that a single 4pin on the motherboard is there to provide power to the CPU and maybe other components.
But what is the use of a 6-pin, more power?
I just saw a motherboard with Two 6pin on the mobo near the CPU. Why?

·
Getting used to 'new'
5,121 Posts
Is it possible that the mother board you saw was a server board for multiple CPUs installed?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcEsSalvation View Post

Is it possible that the mother board you saw was a server board for multiple CPUs installed?
this was my initial thought. However, it's a single CPU mobo: MSI 890FXA-GD65.
I can grasp the idea of a 6pin compared to a 4pin to provide more power.
But two 6 pins on a single socket mobo? i've never seen any before and i'm wondering why
smile.gif

Cheers!

·
Getting used to 'new'
5,121 Posts
I can't find that board myself, but I have found a 990FXA-GD65 with an 8 pin CPU + an extra 6 pin for the PCI lanes. Got a link?

·
VROOM VROOM
6,055 Posts
It is likely that the second 6 pin near the PCI-e slot is for providing additional power to the video cards.
Some boards do that to help with stability.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasherht View Post

It is likely that the second 6 pin near the PCI-e slot is for providing additional power to the video cards.
Some boards do that to help with stability.
Yes, after taking a closer look, it was indeed 8pin +6pin.
And the board supports Xfire/SLI.
That has to be it. thanks for clearing this up
smile.gif

It's a very nice feature i assume for OCing gpu's.

·
Banned
446 Posts
This is exactly for dual GPUs and especially if you OC them.
Some PSUs and MBs cannot provide or handle enough juice through 24pin/8pins on GPUs and it actually gets too hot on 24pin
This happened to me with my previous rig with 980s in SLI, I didnt connect additional power to MB and my 24pin got so hot on the 12V rail that it actually burned and PC was restarting often until I found it out.
So in case you get with SLI and OC the cards be sure to connect any additional power cables that your MB offers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts