Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
Just purchased a nice Ultra HD smart TV from LG
I am currently running it at 1080p at 60Hz

Its posting a possible 4096x2160 at 70Hz

I would be happy to get 3840 x 2160 at 60Hz (not 30Hz which I can do and its so laggy its no good)

so im running a hdmi cable to a mini display port adapter

I am assuming it the adapter that will not allow me to go to the higher resolutions would I be correct ?

if so what adapter can you recomend that will do the job ?

OR

Perhaps these resolutions are not possible at all ?

Or perhaps there is a cable that is HDMI 2 (4k) to mini display port that will do the job ?

can anyone help me out ?
thumb.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,461 Posts
To connect your 4kTV to your computer and utilize [email protected]: you want to make sure your TV has HDMI 2.0 port(refer to your manual) and your graphics card supports HDMI 2.0 aswell (GTX 980/970 has support for HDMI 2.0).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoroastrian View Post

Hi guys
Just purchased a nice Ultra HD smart TV from LG
I am currently running it at 1080p at 60Hz

Its posting a possible 4096x2160 at 70Hz

I would be happy to get 3840 x 2160 at 60Hz (not 30Hz which I can do and its so laggy its no good)

so im running a hdmi cable to a mini display port adapter

I am assuming it the adapter that will not allow me to go to the higher resolutions would I be correct ?

if so what adapter can you recomend that will do the job ?

OR

Perhaps these resolutions are not possible at all ?

Or perhaps there is a cable that is HDMI 2 (4k) to mini display port that will do the job ?

can anyone help me out ?
thumb.gif
hey zoro

did this recently myself. got a 4k tv
rolleyes.gif


sadly there is no way to get 4k @ 60hz over hdmi without a gtx 970/980.

you should of bought a 4k monitor instead with displayport.
if you can return the TV & get a monitor or get some 970's or 980's.
mad.gif

only way it will work mate. it sucks!
redface.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,600 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,461 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Kaos
But that adapter ypu quoted is only a Hdmi 1.4
Not HDMI 2
Which I believe is the only one that carries 4k signal.
The one I quoted is HDMI 2 to mini display.
Incidenty TV has HDMI 2 ports
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,600 Posts
Quote:
no! prob not the accell one is the only one that works @ 30hz

ive been round the merry go round on it all & it sucks!

be prepared to either go with 970's or 980's or get a 4k mon with DP!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoroastrian View Post

Hey Kaos
But that adapter ypu quoted is only a Hdmi 1.4
Not HDMI 2
Which I believe is the only one that carries 4k signal.
The one I quoted is HDMI 2 to mini display.
Incidenty TV has HDMI 2 ports
zoro, I did the same! thinking it would work. that adapter may work but only @ 4k 30hz.
the accell one I posted is the one on amd's compatibility list & another user pointed me to it on here.

about HDMI 1.4 & 4k...... it works @ 30hz only. HDMI 2.0 will do 4k @ 60hz but only if the GPU has 2.0 ports.
don't go round the merry go round bud. just either get 970/980's or a 4k mon with DP for 4k @ 60hz

thumb.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Total bummer the TV was such a great price ..cables and adapters need a good spanking ! The prices for one thing are complete ridiculous ! Like I pay $700 for a TV and to make that TV work I have to spend $150 on cables and adapters .... Something's just not right !
Thanks Kaos I will take the TV back in the new year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoroastrian View Post

Total bummer the TV was such a great price ..cables and adapters need a good spanking ! The prices for one thing are complete ridiculous ! Like I pay $700 for a TV and to make that TV work I have to spend $150 on cables and adapters .... Something's just not right !
Thanks Kaos I will take the TV back in the new year.
well, whats even more of a bummer is if you break the damn thing, like I did lol
rolleyes.gif




I kept plugging leads in & out, & well after finally getting it to work haha it fell off the bloody stand!
doh.gif


im just waiting for boxing day sales & new years sales to see if the replacement I want goes on sale now.

going for this one.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/panasonic/viera-tx48ax630b/pana-tx48ax630

I need a stand in the middle & not on the ends. otherwise it will get knocked off my unit easy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoroastrian View Post

Total bummer the TV was such a great price ..cables and adapters need a good spanking ! The prices for one thing are complete ridiculous ! Like I pay $700 for a TV and to make that TV work I have to spend $150 on cables and adapters .... Something's just not right !
Thanks Kaos I will take the TV back in the new year.
You can sell your 7990s and grab a 970/980, and return the broken TV- am guessing you still have your receipt: eligible for refund or replacement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh Kaos...............do you find sometimes that life is just ridiculously complicated ?
I feel your pain with the dropped TV omg .....................the Hot rush of anxiety as it goes CrUnCH
I really feel for you and I hope that my dilemma goes someway to helping you !

MATE HUG =)

Thank Panasonic looks the snizzle ! though =) can you keep me posted as to what TV you get working with the 7990.

kinda makes me wish I went Nvidia in the first place ,,,,Nooooo I didn't just say that !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoroastrian View Post

How's the Panasonic looking Kaos ?
I never ended up getting the Panosonic
rolleyes.gif
bought something else instead, not a tv.
wink.gif


im using an old spare 1080p from my mothers for a tv for now. its about 5 years old haha. I really dont watch that much tv tbh.... so im not really fussed.

plus im glad i didnt get it as ive just had my credit limit cut in half
mad.gif
apparently banks dont like it when you dont use it enough.
just as i wanted to use it through feb & March they hit me a letter saying they dont make any interest from me bla bla
rolleyes.gif


thumb.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Is there seriously not an electronics master that can not solve this anywhere in the world lol ... So we can put a man into outer space but there is no adapter to do this job lol
 
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Top