Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
from my stats what do you think I should be able to get from my computer? I am thinking 4ghz but I really dont know muuch. I am at 3.8 now and wanted to know.

I am like a kid in a candy store!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I just hit 3.842ghz until it wouldnt boot. I tried to up the volts a bit but it made the cpu speed drop back don to 3.4ghz!?

What do I do now? my cpu temp is 30deg but I haven't put a load on it yet.

·
Banned
3,702 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dbosco002
Ok I just hit 3.842ghz until it wouldnt boot. I tried to up the volts a bit but it made the cpu speed drop back don to 3.4ghz!?

What do I do now? my cpu temp is 30deg but I haven't put a load on it yet.
whats yor fsb at and what ram are you using?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my fsb is at 226mhz. 1 gig corsair ddr2 533... its in my specs

·
Banned
3,702 Posts
before going any higher you really should put a load on it to see how high your temps go. run prime 95 or something

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sounds good. I will get back on the baord tomorrow. I have to get up in 4 hours

·
Banned
3,702 Posts
another thing I will say is you might want to consider getting a psu with more power for OC'ing that could be part of the reason why it kicked the freq down. I saw your specs and noticed that, something you might wanna consider.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am not sure how to check that ratio. What terms should I be looking for?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So the PSU is that big of a factor when overclocking? I would of assumed that 400w would be good. Do you think that is why my mhz dropped like they did?

·
Registered
45 Posts
400w's is good but you are demanding alot from it, as you well know oc'ing is affected by the psu, RAM and temp, Have you torture tested with prime95? We'll be able to tell more from that... make a note of the temp, i suggest leaving it on for a couple of hours to be on the safe side. not sure about the ratio but if your running an intel i'm not sure whether you have access to it, well i dont think i do - lol, but i'm still learning myself. sorry that i cant be any more of a help. Jag

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
Yea psu is a huge factor. Just b/c it says 400 doesnt mean anything. Its all about what your 12v rail is at. You need atleast 25 for a decent oc. Like someonelse said get a antec true 550 or if you want the best get an ocz powerstream. This will help you a lot if you want to reach 4.0. Im working on that myself

·
Banned
1,085 Posts
I have booted at 4.17Ghz on aircon cooling and stock HSF. My Vcore was at 1.500V.

4Ghz shouldn't be to hard to get. I still think the PSU is bragged abotu 2 much. My Antec is going fine and it's only 380W and i'll soon have 4 UV Cathodes and 3 1200mm fans 2 hardrives and all that.

Can someone please post some results from when they changed PSU?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will run prime test tonight. Does that ever finish? I have let it run for a while but it didnt finish and I had to go to bed so I didnt want to let it go without watching it. What temp should I be looking for? high and low. I am running about 30*-31* at idle. I figured that that was ok but I would like some feedback. Also I would like some posts about how someone changed there psu. Did it make significant changes or not?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok I have been runnig prime95 for about 2.5 hours. How long should I let it go?

Temps: load was 48*. it spikes to 53* for a second and back down to 48*...Is this normal? I figures it would be more of a flat rate but i dont know.

I too the cover off to see what kind of tem it would be runnig and it dropped to 41* and spikes to 46*. I have a new 120mm fan that I will be putting into the top of my cas this weekend. It should give me much beter results. I don't like how it shows spikes like it does. can anyone give me a clue to why it does this?

Also when I started Prime95 I swear that my cpu voltage dropped to 1.26 from 1.29v I cant be for sure until I stop the test. If I am right is this normal. If to I believe that a new psu (like what everyone was telling me) would be the right fix.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts