Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3.6 from 2.4--50 percent, though pretty hot at 68C load! Yeah, I know I shouldn't run that hot but I just can't help it because I CAN run that hot stable and I replace my PC every year anyway.

Go ahead and FLAME me for running HOT! lol

I have to confess I've run it much hotter than this. Also there's the possibility that the conventional wisdom on temps is bent toward cool because cool is...COOL!

I think all the relevant settings are on the CPU-Z except 1.55 vcore and 2.1 vdimm.

edit: Oh yeah, I'm running a Big Typhoon.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Make sure you have enough intake / exhaust det up and properly. Intake on the front.....2 side intake....one top exhaust and one rear exhaust. That's ny setup. FLAWLESS in the cooling
I love it

·
Registered
708 Posts
Did you lap your BT? BTs are notorious for being shaped oddly and very rough. There are many members on this forum who have had very nice temp drops by lapping their BTs. You could also try the ramsink mod where you put some adhesive ramsinks on the bottom base of the BT for some extra heat dissapation before the heat is transfered to the heatpipes.

Also, if you core is truely running at 68C then the processor will be throttling so it won't be at its full clock speed anyway. 68C is extremely hot for a conroe that is like a prescott temp.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wincet View Post
Did you lap your BT? BTs are notorious for being shaped oddly and very rough. There are many members on this forum who have had very nice temp drops by lapping their BTs. You could also try the ramsink mod where you put some adhesive ramsinks on the bottom base of the BT for some extra heat dissapation before the heat is transfered to the heatpipes.

Also, if you core is truely running at 68C then the processor will be throttling so it won't be at its full clock speed anyway. 68C is extremely hot for a conroe that is like a prescott temp.
I've got to agree with Wincet. I have a hard time believeing your conroe can really have full performance output at those temps. If I were you, I would go dwon to 3.4ghz, benchmark, go to 3.5ghz, benchmark, and then to 3.6ghz, and benchmark. See if you are actually increasing performance. Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable running my e6600 at 68C. I'm at 3.5ghz and I'm in the 50s, but I'm watercooled.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by LembasBread View Post
I've got to agree with Wincet. I have a hard time believeing your conroe can really have full performance output at those temps. If I were you, I would go dwon to 3.4ghz, benchmark, go to 3.5ghz, benchmark, and then to 3.6ghz, and benchmark. See if you are actually increasing performance. Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable running my e6600 at 68C. I'm at 3.5ghz and I'm in the 50s, but I'm watercooled.
I've benched at 3.4 and 3.2 and 3.0. The performance increase is linear through 3.6 on both Superpi and Sandra. I'm a little freaked about admitting this but I have throttled my E6600. It happens at *ducks* 85 C, and it's scary as hell!

·
Registered
437 Posts
lol....yeah I would CRY if I had lost my chip

I almost boke into tears last week. I bought an X2 4600+ and replaced the thermal paste. Popped the CPU back in and WHOOPS.....bet a corner pin to a 90 degree angle

People were saying I was screwed....it'll break off....it's ruin the chip....I wasted money.

But alas...I bent the pin back into place using my fingernails...or lack there of...and it works fine.

Computer's are unpredictable. But I do know that problems follow when you open that side window

·
Premium Member
4,076 Posts
If you keep your chip at 1.55 vcore, its going to die pretty quickly. Even if you do replace your PC every year, running it like that is kind of a dumb thing to do, but whatever, your PC.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxpinoyxx View Post
wow dude that vcore is a lot just for a stable 3.6ghz.

im runnig 1.425v for 3.65ghz.

haha when i went to 3.72ghz i put my vcore to 1.5v for stability and my chip ran at 75C on load..i paniced and stopped TAT and dropped my vcore. lol
Yeah I think all I can get is 3.4 if I follow all the rules--same vcore as you, 1.425. What are your other settings, if you don't mind?

edit: I should mention that my actual vcore is only 1.38 under load.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Distraught_Youth View Post
lol....yeah I would CRY if I had lost my chip

I almost boke into tears last week. I bought an X2 4600+ and replaced the thermal paste. Popped the CPU back in and WHOOPS.....bet a corner pin to a 90 degree angle

People were saying I was screwed....it'll break off....it's ruin the chip....I wasted money.

But alas...I bent the pin back into place using my fingernails...or lack there of...and it works fine.

Computer's are unpredictable. But I do know that problems follow when you open that side window

I bent about 15 pins at a 35 degree angle or so when I got a wee-bit frustrated with a heatsink. It took about an hour, but I managed to get all the pins back to normal with a tweezers. It works fine now. It is one of those things that you will not do twice.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxpinoyxx
View Post

wow dude that vcore is a lot just for a stable 3.6ghz.

im runnig 1.425v for 3.65ghz.

haha when i went to 3.72ghz i put my vcore to 1.5v for stability and my chip ran at 75C on load..i paniced and stopped TAT and dropped my vcore. lol

I am also at 1.4375 and running stable at 3.6 ghz. Try lowering your vcore.

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
Let your computer break in to the new speeds. After a while, you should be able to drop your vcore by a bit and it should still remain stable.

What do you do that allows you to replace your computer every year?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts