Overclock.net banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

For the past 8 months I have run a 24/7, 3.6Ghz overclock on my Q6600 (G0). My initial reason for overclocking was the purchase of a GTX570. I wanted to avoid any potential bottleneck and was successful in this task. The overclocked chip has run frame for frame with my GTX570 and has given my current hardware configuration an extra 15-24 month lease on life.

The only downside was my poor choice of performance heat sink. The Zalman CNPS9700 NT runs too noisily and registers temperatures of 60-65C at load. I have even seen some cores go up to 70-75C for brief moments when doing heavy gaming such as BFBC2.

Unfortunately, however, the battery on my CMOS died the other day and my BIOS was completely reset. Luckily I have all my old BIOS settings written down for the 3.6Ghz OC. I have been running at stock speeds the past couple of days and I have really enjoyed how quiet my office is without the constant drone of my HSF.

What HSF can handle such an OC while maintaining cooler temperatures than I have experienced (45-50idle, 60-65 load) at whisper silent settings?

Is it even necessary to have a 3.6Ghz OC to maintain good performance with my GTX570? Where do the performance gains start to become marginal or even unnoticeable? Is there a discernible difference in performance between a 3.0Ghz OC and a 3.6Ghz in real world situations such as gaming?

Cliff notes:
1. Solid 24/7, 8 month, 3.6Ghz OC
2. CMOS battery died, BIOS settings reset, lost OC.
3. Want to replace HSF with better one to lower temps
4. Does a 3.6Ghz OC have that much better performance gains than say a 3.0-3.2Ghz OC?
5. I want to be sure to achieve the best OC with no bottleneck for a GTX570.

My 3.6Ghz overclock BIOS settings:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internets
AI overclock tuner: manual
CPU ratio setting: x9.0
FSB Freq: 400

DRAM Static Read Control: disable
DRAM Read Training: disable

CPU Voltage: 1.475v
CPU GTL Reference: Auto
CPU PPL Voltage: 1.56v
FSB Termination Voltage: 1.40v
NB Voltage: 1.34v

CPU Spread Spectrum: disable
C1E Support: disable

·
Premium Member
8,612 Posts
what's your budget?......look into corsair H series......yes 3.6 on a Q66 is sort of necessary for something as powerfull as a 570

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot to mention. I would like to spend no more than $50 but would consider up to $75 if it really met my criteria for silence.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogon;14206333
http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=M020-00-000234&family=Peripherals&sw=22

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/EVGA-Superclock-CPU-Cooler-Review/1336/1

From what I've heard this cooler performs well for the price, not sure what else to link up.
Wow, those benchmarks prove that cooler to be extremely impressive. I will further my research on that model.

Still open to further recommendations.

Is there any negligible difference between a 3.6Ghz OC and say a 3.2Ghz? I wonder what the max/idle temps look on Q6600 OC between 3.0Ghz and 3.6Hz plus every 100mhz along the way.
headscratch.gif

·
Premium Member
4,514 Posts
Scythe Mugen 2 or a similar tower cooler with 120mm fan would be plenty cool and very quiet. Alternatively an H5O will get the job done just as well without being so bulky inside your case.

I'm surprised you were able to keep 3.6 from cooking on a 9700.

·
Premium Member
4,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internets;14207681
Wow, those benchmarks prove that cooler to be extremely impressive. I will further my research on that model.

Still open to further recommendations.

Is there any negligible difference between a 3.6Ghz OC and say a 3.2Ghz? I wonder what the max/idle temps look on Q6600 OC between 3.0Ghz and 3.6Hz plus every 100mhz along the way.
headscratch.gif
There is a big difference in gaming performance from 3.0 to 3.6. Vid encoding etc. the difference would be proportional to the clock difference. Click the link "home 2" "Prime Load Temps" in my sig below to see full load temps after hours of P95 on H5O, Q6600 at 3.6GHz. Idle temps really don't matter as much as they're not as accurate as load temps.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The EVGA Supercooler and the Corsair H50 seem like such great solutions compared to my current HSF.

The Corsair H50 seems like a real unique product but potential pump failure worries me. I also seem to run into mixed reviews as far as its cooling capabilities. A lot of people post phenomenal temperatures and others seem to only achieve temps as good as air.

Does anyone have any real world experience with the Corsair H50? Is it quieter or louder than your average HSF? I am sold if it improves my load temps and in an extremely quiet solution.

·
Premium Member
4,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internets;14211285
Does anyone have any real world experience with the Corsair H50? Is it quieter or louder than your average HSF? I am sold if it improves my load temps and in an extremely quiet solution.
Primeblend36004h.jpg

Full load for 4+ hours, 3.6GHz on H5O. You'll get about the same performance from the top-tier air coolers, they're just massive and for my taste on machines with a side window I don't like a gigantic heatsink dominating the view and covering RAM etc.

I have 3 H5Os in highly overclocked machines at the moment. I've never heard of an instance of pump failure.

As far as noise, if you put your head right next to the PC you'll hear more from the H5O. From the typical 3-4 feet of desk-to-floor distance, there won't be a difference.

If you were building an HTPC for a quiet room, you may become aware of the pump noise on a quiet night where my Mugen 2 is dead quiet. The Scythe fans are extremely quiet. If your case already has 3-4 120mm fans, it's going to be negligible unless they are extremely quiet.

·
Registered
23 Posts
hi, if you are eyeing on some Corsair Hyro series, why not just get the newer H80 or H100 series instead of H50s, my q6600 3.6 runs quiet 33 C idle and moderate noise (modarate fan settings) maxed at 61 C at full load using IBT. somehow it runs hotter than p95 which i only get 58-59 of 12 hrs stressing. bottomline they are quite good coolers on a budget LCS, and if you are worrying arout the pump failure, corsair made their warranty from 2 to 5 years..

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
A Q6600 will bottleneck a 570 quite a bit in CPU intensive games even OCed to 3.6, trust me I used to have a Q6600 @ 3.6 just like you and it bottlenecked my 295GTX significantly. In far cry 2 for example my FPS went from about 35 to over 100 when I went from a Q6600 @ 3.6 to a 2500K. Sounds crazy but its the truth.

·
Premium Member
4,514 Posts
Zombie thread.

I remember your old posts Kirby, and I still dissagree and maintain that your rig was not running right. I've had two GTX260s SLI hacked on my 3.6 Q6600, now my kid's rig, and it ran wide open.

My 4.3 Q9550 is not nearly as fast as an overclocked 2500K and I assure you that my 570 is never "significantly bottlenecked".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts