Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folders.
I am having trouble running my third 8800GTS 512 without overheating the GPUs.
I had 3 511's running, according to FahMon, when my system crashed. I was at work at the time, so I am assuming it was an issue with heat. When I left it, 2 GPUs were running the 511's, and were hitting temps in the mid 80's. I turned the fans up to get them back down under 80*. Apparently, the third 511 was just too much.
I haven't run the third card since then, and temps have been normal on the remaining 2 cards.
I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good air cooling solution for running 3 cards, one on top of the other. This PC sits in my living room, so it needs to be a noise-friendly solution. I don't mind some noise. It just can't be over the top

Thanks
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,929 Posts
Have you tried creating a shroud?
 

·
News Junkie
Joined
·
8,235 Posts
of mystery!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
-rep for you two


Seriously, what would fit and run smoothly? Zalman? Accelero?

Quote:


Originally Posted by Hueristic
View Post

Have you tried creating a shroud?

I will look into it. Thanks.
 

·
Once more into the Fold
Joined
·
3,043 Posts
I just installed my 8800GTS's yesterday. So far I have not had temp issues with the fan set manually to 65%. 511 are in the mid to low 70Cs and all the others are low to mid 60Cs. My room is around 88F at the moment.

I positioned a 120mm Scythe S-Flex F directly in front of the cards, but I am thinking a fan on the side would be more effective if this setup cant keep temps down.

Eye candy.



 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those are the temps I usually get, and my fans are set to 68%. My ambient is 21*C.
I might have to just put a fan like you have. I have a few spare Zalman ZM-F3's laying around somewhere. I can always drill the side of the case and stick a fan there as well.

Could the problem be with my PSU? I posted a thread about it, and all the responses were that it would work. I had to use the 6-pin to Molex adapter, which is a modular connection to the PSU, and the connection to the PSU is only a 4-pin connector.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,612 Posts
if you have multiple molex rails/lines try to connect the 6pin to molex adapter to 2 separate ones.....on my folding rig i had a problem similar to yours......i ran a 6pin to molex entirely off of one molex line and it would randomly shut down.....once i spread them across two separate lines it stopped shutting off

edit.....try and zip tie a 120mm behind the cards so that it pushes some air into the gpu fans
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by Vlasov_581
View Post

if you have multiple molex rails/lines try to connect the 6pin to molex adapter to 2 separate ones.....on my folding rig i had a problem similar to yours......i ran a 6pin to molex entirely off of one molex line and it would randomly shut down.....once i spread them across two separate lines it stopped shutting off

I need to do some finnagling(?) with this thing
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: Vlasov_581

·
Once more into the Fold
Joined
·
3,043 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Vlasov_581
View Post

if you have multiple molex rails/lines try to connect the 6pin to molex adapter to 2 separate ones.....on my folding rig i had a problem similar to yours......i ran a 6pin to molex entirely off of one molex line and it would randomly shut down.....once i spread them across two separate lines it stopped shutting off

edit.....try and zip tie a 120mm behind the cards so that it pushes some air into the gpu fans

Great idea.

Quote:


Originally Posted by spaceballsrules
View Post

I need to do some finnagling(?) with this thing


I am very surprised that your PSU wouldnt work. If you notice in my pic I am only using a Corsair 550W unit for my GPUs.

Definitely try the fan though. When I turn that fan off with the fan controller my temps jump about 10C.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by Vlasov_581
View Post

well.....i'm running four GSOs off of a 650watt BFG....you really shouldn't have a problem


Quote:


Originally Posted by franz
View Post

I am very surprised that your PSU wouldnt work. If you notice in my pic I am only using a Corsair 550W unit for my GPUs.

Definitely try the fan though. When I turn that fan off with the fan controller my temps jump about 10C.

Yeah, I just noticed that. I will try to split the fans and the card on the different rails. I still want a powerful single rail, and this is why.


BTW Yay for folding! right back at you
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,929 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceballsrules View Post
Yeah, I just noticed that. I will try to split the fans and the card on the different rails. I still want a powerful single rail, and this is why.


BTW Yay for folding! right back at you

Always try to use different rails to feed gpu's, If one rail has a drop (even momentarily) than the other rail can pick up the slack.

Also I run the mobo one one rail and drives on the other, But sometimes when your really pushing a PS you have to finagle that last drive to find out which rail can handle it.
Yeah I don't push my PS's for every millivolt they can provide.
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: spaceballsrules

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by Hueristic
View Post

Always try to use different rails to feed gpu's, If one rail has a drop (even momentarily) than the other rail can pick up the slack.

Also I run the mobo one one rail and drives on the other, But sometimes when your really pushing a PS you have to finagle that last drive to find out which rail can handle it.
Yeah I don't push my PS's for every millivolt they can provide.


Yeah. Neither do I. I tried to find out which rails provided power to which connectors, but no luck in finding anything.
I freed all the 4-pin connectors on the PSU to plug the card to, but I have no more connectors to power another fan.

I will invest in a new PSU when I can afford it. I can pawn my old one off on a friend who will be building a new rig soon anyway.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,929 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceballsrules View Post
Yeah. Neither do I. I tried to find out which rails provided power to which connectors, but no luck in finding anything.
I freed all the 4-pin connectors on the PSU to plug the card to, but I have no more connectors to power another fan.

I will invest in a new PSU when I can afford it. I can pawn my old one off on a friend who will be building a new rig soon anyway.
You can run 2, here's a pic of 2 I combined.


http://www.overclock.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/22964]



One of these days I'll make a proper case for them. Too busy right now. It's running my TTS right now.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LOL I dig the Frankenstein PSU.


I went ahead and split the power connector on 2 of the 4-pin connections and velcro'd a fan to feed the cards. Temps are not going over 75*C.
Now maybe I can start climbing the ranks again




*EDIT*
Running 3 511's again and here are my temps



 

·
Once more into the Fold
Joined
·
3,043 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by spaceballsrules
View Post

LOL I dig the Frankenstein PSU.


I went ahead and split the power connector on 2 of the 4-pin connections and velcro'd a fan to feed the cards. Temps are not going over 75*C.
Now maybe I can start climbing the ranks again


*EDIT*
Running 3 511's again and here are my temps



Much better.


To Velcro!!!!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,929 Posts
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Still having some issues

They aren't power or temp related


In the past 24 hours, my desktop has been reset twice. I go into Nvidia Control Panel and disable the analog monitors, then re-enable them. Then I have to painstakingly put my desktop shortcuts back to where I like them.
I also had a random freeze. I turned down the shaders to 1890 to see if that helps. I will also update to the new WHQL drivers. Apparently, they are the cat's pajamas.

I can't wait until this is all stable, so I can make a backup image of the OS
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,929 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by spaceballsrules
View Post

Still having some issues

They aren't power or temp related


In the past 24 hours, my desktop has been reset twice. I go into Nvidia Control Panel and disable the analog monitors, then re-enable them. Then I have to painstakingly put my I turned down the shaders to 1890 to see if that helps. I will also update to the new WHQL drivers. Apparently, they are the cat's pajamas.

I can't wait until this is all stable, so I can make a backup image of the OS


I'll have to check those drivers out after the foldathon, what version? Right now I'm running 185.66 and 186.18(on one gs to compare).
I had alot of issues on my htpc with dual screens (analog Svid and analog DB15) and my icons were popping all over. I had to reset all the nvidia control panel settings to default and then use windows display properties to swap the displays (MY number 2 monitor is on the left -Nvidia I guess never thought of the main display not being on the right side
) and whenever I reboot I have to resize the Svid for some @!#$#[email protected] reason.

What cooling are you running? Those shaders are high (Turn down to 1890
I can't get my GT past 720/1836/1000 stock cooling)! No EU's? What's the cores at?

BTW I was just getting used to you freaky avatar, I like Ren and stimpy thoguh


ALSO
YOU better get them fixed fast!!!!

Code:
Code:
45  3,254  spaceballsrules        9,972  2,555  6,801  26,361  1,947,951  3,541
46 3,746 LicheLord +2 +4 9,467 1,247 3,252 26,416 1,734,966 3,557
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top