Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my cpu is not stable at 3GHz with 4th core unlocked but it is if i run it at 2.73Ghz what is better for games like GTA 4 and BC2?

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wassap
View Post

i would go with 4 cores at lower frecuency.

so 4 at 2.7 will beat my old 9750?

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
4 cores at 2.7 is better than 3 at 3ghz if whatever you are doing takes full advantage of all 4 cores.

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by BradleyW
View Post

4 cores at 2.7 is better than 3 at 3ghz if whatever you are doing takes full advantage of all 4 cores.

will bc2 run smoother with 4?

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
Cores > Clock speed. And anything quad will beat the 9750...the first generation of Phenom's were frankly a disappointment. Phenom II's were loads better. What CPU Are you talking about, the Athlon II X3 unlocked to an X4?

And yes, BFBC2 loves cores.

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jellis142
View Post

Cores > Clock speed. And anything quad will be the 9750...the first generation of Phenom's were frankly a disappointment. Phenom II's were loads better. What CPU Are you talking about, the Athlon II X3 unlocked to an X4?

Phenom II X3 710

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
not to sound like an a-hole or anything, but try them both and post results. I would definitely like to know for future reference.

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lostcase
View Post

not to sound like an a-hole or anything, but try them both and post results. I would definitely like to know for future reference.

i just tested BC 2 maxed and i got 23 fps no idea why but game was only using 34% of my GPUs

Quote:

Originally Posted by jellis142
View Post

Yep, unlock the core and keep it at stock speeds is my vote.

okay i'll go reset to stock and unlock the core brb ill post results

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
34% of gpu? weird son.

·
Premium Member
4,027 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by philhalo66
View Post

i just tested BC 2 maxed and i got 23 fps no idea why but game was only using 34% of my GPUs

okay i'll go reset to stock and unlock the core brb ill post results

Most likely its because of your resolution being so low, without a higher resolution, your game will be more cpu bound. A higher clock will give you better performance at your resolution. If you get a larger monitor, the quad will give you better performance.

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
BFBC2, i don't know

GTA IV will appreciate that 4th core though. on my 720 i gained about 10fps at 1280x1024 from going from 3 cores to 4

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
Both those games like 4 cores.
Stay with 4 cores @ 2.7Ghz.

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by philhalo66
View Post

will bc2 run smoother with 4?

Absolutely. Six cores was an improvement over four cores for me on BFBC2. So yeah, four cores at 2.7GHz will be better.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts