1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
3,089 Posts
If you are comfortable overclocking just get the cheapest model.

·
Banned
13,823 Posts
the middle one has a better cooler, meaning it runs cooler...... i understand the OC it your self, but getting to 1ghz core is pretty hard and the lower the core clock the hard it is to do.

·
Banned
13,823 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by aquax View Post
Stock voltage on the PowerColor 4890 PCS+ 950Core is 1.50v ...... according to TPU review
damn, is that safe lol, when i bench i worry about putting 1.4 through my cards LOL

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by decapitator View Post
its only difference is the factory overclock that you could probably do your self and save a few bucks
that's what i was thinking about.
i dont know a thing about OC but with some help i might do it.
but anyway, can i get the same core at the end?
or a 950 core from factore can go further than a 850?

·
PC Evangelist
47,372 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by G|F.E.A.D|Killa View Post
damn, is that safe lol, when i bench i worry about putting 1.4 through my cards LOL
That does seem high but 1.4v is fine if you have good cooling. With 1.5v that card should do 1.1GHz.

·
Premium Member
21,169 Posts
You are only guaranteed to get whatever clocks the card comes with. My 4890 is stuck at 988 core. If you buy a lower clocked card, you run the risk of not being able to clock it to where it would be if you bought the higher model.
Also, I know nothing about Powercooler. I haven't really heard of anyone on OCN with one of those 4890s.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post
That does seem high but 1.4v is fine if you have good cooling. With 1.5v that card should do 1.1GHz.
i'm a 0 about OC. i dont have a pc yet and im trying to make a good rig here on OCN. after that i want to OC the new rig so let me see if i get something already:

to increase the core i need to increase the voltage right?
increasing the voltage will increase the temperature right?
so i need to push the core as far as i can with the lower voltage possible, and that is the secret of OC.
am i thinking right?

·
Premium Member
21,169 Posts
Yes. Lower voltages are better for overclocking because they have lower temperatures. Depending on how good the cooler is, you may be able to get a higher OC. A lot of it is luck.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
if it starts to heat to much, will it stop at some temperature or will it burn the GPU?
i want to OC my PC when i get it but i dont want to send it to the garbage can on the
1st day i get it...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i like noisy things. noisy cars, noisy computers... so it is not a problem to me. if that one can go further on OC i think i will get 1 of it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts