Overclock.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read that 3 gigs of ram can acually slow down your pc rather then having 2. I have 2 one gig sticks and 2 512 sticks and now I'm not sure what I should be using. Any thoughts on this?

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unarmed

I just read that 3 gigs of ram can acually slow down your pc rather then having 2. I have 2 one gig sticks and 2 512 sticks and now I'm not sure what I should be using. Any thoughts on this?

Can you run the same cpu speed with all those sticks in there? Also, what do you use your comp for? If it's just gaming and internet, I'd just use the 2 gigs, but if you're doing a lot of editing, use it all.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevebaz

run soem benchmark tests with the 3gig setup and then run some benchmark tests with the 2gig setup and see which scores higher.

Most benchmarks don't even use 1/2 gig of memory. It'll be misleading information.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Do they all run the same timings? If not I would use the 2 gigs only. No real reson for 3 gigs and you are just putting more unneeded stress on the mem controller.

·
Registered
355 Posts
There's no reason at all to run 3 gigs unless you are running a high end server system. The largest games and applications are handled with 2 gigs with ease. And 2 gigs are the most efficient because, your system performance is best with 2 sticks running in dual channel. Running more means your ram will not run as fast as it can, and most of the times you'll have to run a 2T command rate.:/

edit: typo lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.