Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've been task to build an office PC for an accountant that does a lot of remote logins, pdf converting and the general office stuff. They will be running a 3 monitor setup 1440p and 2 1080p. I would prefer to stick with Intel. Wondering if anyone can recommend a build with the best price/performance ratio? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,160 Posts
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YpyfCJ

This would be a great little build.

You should be just fine with running 3 monitors off the mobo.

The only thing I do not like is the PSU.

because this is using an M.2 drive and no video card, you only need the 24pin power connector and the 8 pin cpu power connector.

Therefore it would be nice to find a fully modular or at least semi modular PSU that spares you from having to fight with all the cables.

·
Premium Member
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjj226 Angel View Post

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YpyfCJ

This would be a great little build.

You should be just fine with running 3 monitors off the mobo.

The only thing I do not like is the PSU.

because this is using an M.2 drive and no video card, you only need the 24pin power connector and the 8 pin cpu power connector.

Therefore it would be nice to find a fully modular or at least semi modular PSU that spares you from having to fight with all the cables.
Good build, I do like the parts. My only suggestion if your going to go ITX and no dedicated GPU, get a smaller case like the mini-box and pico-psu

Also, for the tasks at hand, They would be fine with an i3. It would save ~$60 with a very minor performance loss for their applications. I would also think about getting a hard drive for storage, caching and a page file so the SSD doesn't get ruined. Smaller SSD if you go with a HDD, otherwise keep the large SSD.

If you get the mini-box, you need to get a HDD/SSD Mounting bracket, one for each drive, I don't remember mine coming with one. I am not sure if you need a low-profile cooler, the Intel one is pretty small to begin with.

They have plenty of other small ITX cases as well, you should check them out
http://www.mini-box.com/Enclosures

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot for the build this is what I was looking for. Had no idea they had a motherboard that could power 3 monitors.

·
Premium Member
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plateworks View Post

Thanks a lot for the build this is what I was looking for. Had no idea they had a motherboard that could power 3 monitors.
the newer ones can, it is fairly recent. Even with old motherboards you could get a USB adapter for additional displays too.

·
Premium Member
7,160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman517 View Post

Good build, I do like the parts. My only suggestion if your going to go ITX and no dedicated GPU, get a smaller case like the mini-box and pico-psu

Also, for the tasks at hand, They would be fine with an i3. It would save ~$60 with a very minor performance loss for their applications. I would also think about getting a hard drive for storage, caching and a page file so the SSD doesn't get ruined. Smaller SSD if you go with a HDD, otherwise keep the large SSD.

If you get the mini-box, you need to get a HDD/SSD Mounting bracket, one for each drive, I don't remember mine coming with one. I am not sure if you need a low-profile cooler, the Intel one is pretty small to begin with.

They have plenty of other small ITX cases as well, you should check them out
http://www.mini-box.com/Enclosures
I was looking for a smaller case and could not find one.

If the power supply is any good, then yeah, I would go for that.

·
Premium Member
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjj226 Angel View Post

I was looking for a smaller case and could not find one.

If the power supply is any good, then yeah, I would go for that.
Pico PSUs are generally top notch.
smile.gif

Here is some more suggestions in order of price:
PCPartPicker part list

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($171.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($59.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital WD Blue 500GB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($39.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Other: Mini-Box with Pico PSU ($102.00)
Other: 2x HDD brackets ($4.00)
Total: $567.86
PCPartPicker part list

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($99.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81N Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($63.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($59.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital WD Blue 500GB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($39.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Other: Mini-Box with Pico PSU ($102.00)
Other: 2x HDD brackets ($4.00)
Total: $429.87

·
Registered
972 Posts
You need to make sure you get the right monitors if you plan on running them off of that MB, as one of the HDMI ports is a input. Not to mention how slow they will be sharing a measly 8gb with the system...

http://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/Z97E-ITXac/index.asp?cat=

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($203.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI H97M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($81.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($114.30 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R7 250X 2GB Core Edition Video Card ($94.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Thermaltake Urban S1 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($32.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($56.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSC0B DVD/CD Writer ($12.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $731.23
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-06 02:24 EST-0500

Upped the PSU for future add on's....

·
Premium Member
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathelm View Post

You need to make sure you get the right monitors if you plan on running them off of that MB, as one of the HDMI ports is a input. Not to mention how slow they will be sharing a measly 8gb with the system...

http://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/Z97E-ITXac/index.asp?cat=

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($203.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI H97M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($81.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($114.30 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R7 250X 2GB Core Edition Video Card ($94.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Thermaltake Urban S1 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($32.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($56.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSC0B DVD/CD Writer ($12.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $731.23
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-06 02:24 EST-0500

Upped the PSU for future add on's....
You know this is an office PC... 8GB of RAM is fine. 8GB is not "measly." 8GB is quite a lot for office tasks. The largest RAM hogger you have in an office setting is Outlook, which could use about 1GB.

A dedicated GPU is not needed, just buy the appropriate cables, you will need 1 x DVI, 1 x HDMI, and 1 x Display Port and get adapter cables, should cost between $10-$20 per cable. Much cheaper than getting a dedicated GPU.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman517 View Post

You know this is an office PC... 8GB of RAM is fine. 8GB is not "measly." 8GB is quite a lot for office tasks. The largest RAM hogger you have in an office setting is Outlook, which could use about 1GB.

A dedicated GPU is not needed, just buy the appropriate cables, you will need 1 x DVI, 1 x HDMI, and 1 x Display Port and get adapter cables, should cost between $10-$20 per cable. Much cheaper than getting a dedicated GPU.
Office + 3 monitors = more than 8gb. I mean the only reason to have 3 monitors for working is either multitasking and/or graphics editing. And a lot of things aren't immediately necessary, but people tend to pile onto the best worker. Plus the largest "RAM hog" is web browsers. And without that dedicated GPU, you will need a display port, whereas most monitors do have both HDMI and/or DVI. Plus think how slow you'd be pushing that many pixels with shared MB memory (and in your case, only 8gb to boot).

I think that's a great price for a versatile 3 monitor office PC...

·
Premium Member
5,299 Posts
Quote:

Office + 3 monitors = more than 8gb.
No, it doesn't. You need to re-check your facts, you are not getting them from a very reliable source. I just powed on my work laptop and gave it a more than average work load. I have a 20 tabs of JIRA in Chrome open, 10 SSH sessions, 1 x 30 page word document, 1 x 30 slide Power point document, 2 x 10 page PDFs open in Adobe Reader, Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Lync open. It is using just under 4GB right now. So if for by some reason you decided to give the integrated graphics 512MB, overkill for 3 monitors, you will be around 4.5GB, leaving 3.5GB for growth. PLENTY
thumb.gif

Quote:

I mean the only reason to have 3 monitors for working is either multitasking and/or graphics editing.
Well, you know, there is software design, day trading, anyone who uses VMS and many more occupations benefit from 3 monitors. Either way, the following post is taken directly from the OP and he has no mentioning of graphics editing. The client is actually an accountant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plateworks View Post

Hi, I've been task to build an office PC for an accountant that does a lot of remote logins, pdf converting and the general office stuff.
The most intensive thing done on this PC will be the PDF converting, which should not use more than 1-2GB of RAM.

Quote:

Plus the largest "RAM hog" is web browsers.
I agree with this, browsers are a "RAM hog." If you open 5+ tabs of youtube or some sort of social media site, that is the only time it would be noticeable. Which in reality should not be open that often on an office PC.

Quote:

And without that dedicated GPU, you will need a display port, whereas most monitors do have both HDMI and/or DVI. Plus think how slow you'd be pushing that many pixels with shared MB memory (and in your case, only 8gb to boot)
Yes because they don't make cables or adapters for that....
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

Plus think how slow you'd be pushing that many pixels with shared MB memory (and in your case, only 8gb to boot)
Yes, in my case, 8GB is plenty for 3 montiors. 16GB and a dedicated card is useless. Currently, I have a 1080p monitor and a 4k monitor, attached to my GPU, it is using about 400MB of VRAM. In terms of pixels, that is equivalent to 5 x 1080p screens

·
Registered
972 Posts
Yea, and I'm sitting here running the "great suspender" chrome app and am still at 50%. Was constantly at 90+ last week with only 8gb. So for $50 bucks more, he's covered for the long haul. I think most of you have settled on 8gb simply because with SSD's, that swap file isn't the issue it use to be. Same goes for the video card, because MB graphics on a single monitor are crap, much less pushing 2 or 3. And like I said, he will have to have a display port monitor, because those converters are just another hiccup waiting to happen.

So if he's worried about the extra $150 for the RAM and Graphics (which he'll most likely save by not having to chose a display port monitor), he should save himself the trouble and send the guy to Dell. Which quite frankly, the OP should consider doing anyways if this is all the system the guy needs. Will save himself numerous hours of free tech support. I mean most offices have a $5000 dollar printer sitting there with a service contract. They want things that they can count on to work every time all the time regardless of what they throw at it.

You can build a PC with the exact CPU speed and the exact RAM needed, along with a tiny HD and a just right PSU, and what have you got? It's like a car with a 5 gal gas tank because you only drive 10 miles to work everyday. Who wants those limitations put on them?

EDIT: ASUS M32AD-US009O Desktop PC Intel Core i5 4460 (3.2GHz) 8GB DDR3 1TB HDD Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit $449.99

add a $40 dollar graphics card and you're golden....

·
Premium Member
5,299 Posts
Quote:

Yea, and I'm sitting here running the "great suspender" chrome app and am still at 50%. Was constantly at 90+ last week with only 8gb.
What kind of tabs do you have open? 100+ tabs of Youtube and social media? I just opened 50 x Youtube tabs in chrome. It increased my ram usage by less than 3GB.

Quote:

I think most of you have settled on 8gb simply because with SSD's, that swap file isn't the issue it use to be.
I turn off my swap file on all my machines or move it to the HDD. People have settled on 8GB because it is more than enough for 90% of scenarios

Quote:

Same goes for the video card, because MB graphics on a single monitor are crap, much less pushing 2 or 3. And like I said, he will have to have a display port monitor, because those converters are just another hiccup waiting to happen.
I feel like you are just grasping at straws now. I have been running converters on plenty machines for 5+ years and have had no problems. I have actually yet to see a thread about anyone having issues with a Display Port Converter.

Quote:

So if he's worried about the extra $150 for the RAM and Graphics
Grasping at straws again
rolleyes.gif
. The OP asked us for the best price/performance ratio computer for an office setting. Spending an extra $150 on parts that will not be utilized is not it. Honestly, the ITX build is not it either, He would spend the least if he went M-ATX, 8GB of RAM and an i3 and the client would not notice the difference.

Quote:

which he'll most likely save by not having to chose a display port monitor
He does not need to chose a display port monitor, he just needs a simple adapter. Everyone uses them, especially people who run Nvidia Surround or AMD's Eyefinity.

Quote:

he should save himself the trouble and send the guy to Dell. Which quite frankly, the OP should consider doing anyways if this is all the system the guy needs. Will save himself numerous hours of free tech support. I mean most offices have a $5000 dollar printer sitting there with a service contract. They want things that they can count on to work every time all the time regardless of what they throw at it.
The OP is building a PC for a client and asked us for help, and now you are telling him to go buy a Dell???
doh.gif
As long as the OP does not cheap out on parts, the tech support will be minimal.

Quote:

You can build a PC with the exact CPU speed and the exact RAM needed, along with a tiny HD and a just right PSU, and what have you got? It's like a car with a 5 gal gas tank because you only drive 10 miles to work everyday. Who wants those limitations put on them?
No, the scenario is the same car but you can choose a coupe and sedan and you are still single with no intention of having a family any time soon. The sedan is $1500 more, so have no need to get a sedan and spend the extra cash.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Here's an idea, instead of criticizing others suggested builds with BS. Why not spend half the time and build a suggestion of your own, and use your BS skills to impress us all with it's virtues. And stop cluttering up the OP's thread...

·
Premium Member
5,299 Posts
Quote:

Here's an idea, instead of criticizing others suggested builds with BS. Why not spend half the time and build a suggestion of your own, and use your BS skills to impress us all with it's virtues. And stop cluttering up the OP's thread...
This is not BS, it is facts, you are spreading "BS" on the requirement of 16GB of RAM and a dedicated GPU for an office build and on top of that stating that you were over 7GB of RAM usage with just your browser "last week"
rolleyes.gif

I tried to get my browser to utilize 4GB+. I really did, I had 50 tabs of youtube open, I will repeat, FIFTY! I could not get it over 3GB.

As far as me creating a build, the OP has an amazing build in the first post, I suggested that he get a smaller case and honestly, it would be perfect either way. If the OP wants to go cheaper, he could go M-ATX with an i3.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts