Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi anyone that has 3 monitors Eyefinity or Nvidia surround how is the experience like?
I am thinking of getting 3 monitors but can't make my mind up on which ones to get.
Also what screen size would be good? and landscape or patriot is one better then the other?

·
Premium Member
7,798 Posts
Desktop usage on 3 screens is just fantastic once you get used to it. So much room, so convenient.

Gaming on 3 screens is both immersive and a pain sometimes. There are plenty of games (biggest offenders being most UE3 titles) that don't support 3 screens properly and the ones that do probably don't have the optimal layout of the HUD for 3 screens. If you can get past that, it's just incredibly nice to play on.

All high FOV games will also have very noticeable fish eye. (I don't find it a problem if you stare at the center screen) The fish eye won't happen in portrait though. What landscape does is simple, it shows you more to either side of you. Your center monitor will show what it would as a single monitor. Side monitors will show more. But portrait, portrait acts as one big monitor, due to its aspect ratio, often showing around the same amount of info that a single monitor would. However, the image is a much higher resolution, therefore games will look clearer and sharper.
Which one you prefer is up to you.

Almost any size screen will do, from 19" to 30" (from that point on the size won't be an issue, the pixel density might be) it'll all work fine. I'd generally recommend finding a size you enjoy using on a single monitor, and sticking with that when going 3 screens.

Recommendations for monitors are difficult to give without a rough budget!
tongue.gif

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I love having a triple monitor setup and couldn't go back to anything less. I have had a triple monitor setup for about 7 years now. I game a lot on mine as well. As others will say though, getting games working the way they should be played can't always be achieved, but the guys over at www.widescreengamingforum.com are always on the ball with patches and fixes to get there. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. I'd be more than happy to help.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply's guys. I have read there is problems with 3 monitor setup don't no how true this is? also I read Eyefinity is better then Nvidia surround.

·
13,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman007 View Post

Thanks for the reply's guys. I have read there is problems with 3 monitor setup don't no how true this is? also I read Eyefinity is better then Nvidia surround.
Until the recent generation of GPU's (6XX and 7XXX), Nvidia required 2 or more cards for 3+ screens, but supported 3D on Surround. AMD on the other hand could do up to 6 screens on one card, but couldn't do 3D.

Now the playing field is pretty level and as previously stated, games are the problem as some don't support super wide screen resolutions.

You could also look in to using 3 screens in portrait so that you maintain a normal wide screen aspect ratio like I have set up.

680x680px-LL-e9e78917_59190c65_WP_001337.jpeg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts