Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any 3 phase PMAC/PMSM motors in the future for computer fans rather than BLDCs or even single phase BLDCs? Lower peak current and lower power consumption and slightly less motor noise at equivalent speeds? Not sure how much the blade designs affect it. The fan hub seems to be the same size.

·
Fix it till its broke
876 Posts
Mostly price, though some fans are running 6 phase motors. You pay for it though..

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BLDCs can be multi phase too but could they make the D5 pump as a PMAC/PMSM? ( it's listed as a BLDC ). Maybe a new model of it with lower power draw?

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
What SanAce didn't mention in their marketing pamphlet was that their new 120mm design has less peak CFM.

·
Iconoclast
30,667 Posts
Any time the someone asks why something better isn't used over something worse, cost is always the reason.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What SanAce didn't mention in their marketing pamphlet was that their new 120mm design has less peak CFM.
Oh yeah they changed the blades but if it was the same, the power draw would be slightly less. On large blowers used in malls/hotels, the motor can be swapped while keeping the wheel the same though.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Oh yeah they changed the blades but if it was the same, the power draw would be slightly less. On large blowers used in malls/hotels, the motor can be swapped while keeping the wheel the same though.
That's even true with home, gas fired, furnaces.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Interesting topic and I do qualify to touch it, but I am lost of what is the actual requirement ?
Homes does not have or use 3 phase, this is powerful source and an dangerous high voltage.
At my workshop I do have and use 3 phase, actually I have an 3 phase fine grinder motor, and I am also benefiting by having balanced small loads at its phase.

Sanyo Denki this is the most respectable fan maker, I did talk with their marketing team six months ago, they do not care to focus at enthusiasts DC fan market.
They are mainly attached with the industrial sector, if a product at their catalog matches your on requirements, then consider your self as lucky.

Minebea Matsushita NMB-MAT this has some high performance products at 25mm thickness, powerful airflow but you must to slow down their rpm for silent computing.
They lost my admiration as soon their production passed in China mainland.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Kiriakos, in a data center where hundreds of fans are running, 24-7, 365 days a year saving 22% on power costs can be significant. Chassis fans are so important that via IPMI protocols the servers will send out-of-band email messages if individual fans fail.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts