Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for opinions, cutting out a piece of cardboard to get a feel for 32” on my 30” deep desk feels a bit to big. Everyone seems to want that size in 4K, but how much do you have to move your head around ? Thoughts and what monitor size are you comparing it too from personal experience?

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
I think it'll be fine. I'm using a 34" ultrawide mounted to the wall and I have a 25" deep desk. The front of the monitor is about 5.5" from the wall. 30" seems like a normal desk size and it's probably what other people use who own monitors like you are considering.

·
Registered
27 Posts
my desk is 34" deep, the keyboard try comes out at least another 5" or so. my eyes end up 39" from the screen. I have a 32" 1440p monitor and it is very comfortable (used mostly for gaming). text, browsing, work stuff is clear and very sharp.

i think 30 ish inches is an ideal size at that distance. no eye strain or squinting to see something on a small monitor.

i am considering going 34 or 35" in the future, i think that might be the comfort limit though on size at that distance.

·
Overclocker in training
13,987 Posts
Hi,
32" should be fine or 2-3-27"

·
Registered
16 Posts
I use a corner desk and its amazing. I have always felt way more comfortable with enough room to fully rest my arms on the desk while typing. I can't STAND small desks where my arms are in the air or on my lap when using the keyboard. Way too uncomfortable for long work sessions and especially long gaming sessions.

I am 42 and I have had this desk since I was 21 lol. I can't get rid of it even though its gotten slightly beat up. It simply too comfortable. It doesn't even work in my home office all that well because I have it facing OUT of the corner so I can watch my TV while I work, which is across the room.

Here are a few pics for reference. Highly recommended configuration! (Note: I could move the monitor back at least another foot to 1.5 feet on this desk from the position shown in the pics below.)

In college, I used this desk to game with a 55" tv where the monitor is now and it never felt too close. Considering a new Nvidia BFG 144Hz HDR 4k TV as a replacement when the next round of GPUs come out that can (hopefully) push 4k at 120+ fps like the 1080ti does with 1440p currently. Until then I'll stick with my Asus ROG 27" 1440p 144hz. :)

If you are looking for a 4K monitor for gaming NOW - id suggest at least 32" or bigger. You won't feel like you are turning your head IMHO - I didnt notice that problem on my 55", but for some games, I would change INI settings to move things like minimaps and health icons closer to the center of the screen. Monitors that are smaller than 32" at 4k look too small (on screen) IMHO.

I tried a 42" TV at one point too (back when 1080p was the thing) and it felt just right for an oversized monitor. I am guessing that would be an amazing size with a high refresh rate 4k monitor. For competitive gaming, my 27" at 1440p is perfect though. For comp gaming on 4k, id probably go no bigger than 32".

These days though, id consider going ~50" with one of Nvidia's new BFG 4k HDR 120 - 144 Hz monitors, assuming the HDR at that size is still not causing lighting issues.

I tried to find and link the Linus video of him playing on a new BFG and showing how the lighting on HDR finally worked properly. It included clips of him playing on other 4k HDR monitors where the lighting looked all goofy with HDR enabled - i.e. it would create a "box" of brighter light around the mouse area where it was brighter there and darker everywhere else. Especially jarring in darker areas in game. He was happy to report the Nvidia BFGs did not have that problem.

I should also state I own stock in Nvidia and so far it's more than paid for my PC building obsession - and I have always been a huge fan of their GPUs - so I am quite partial to them. (But I do own stock in AMD as well lol.)

·
waifu for lifu
11,324 Posts
I find if you go over 27 inches you will have more head/eye movement. This will cause fatigue for long term tasks. Sometimes its unavoidable though depending on ones needs.

·
Overclocker in training
13,987 Posts
I find if you go over 27 inches you will have more head/eye movement. This will cause fatigue for long term tasks. Sometimes its unavoidable though depending on ones needs.
Hi,
Indeed

op will also find white backgrounds even more blinding than ever :)
32" should be a sweet spot for the distance but light is also a per person deal some people are less white light sensitive some might need sunglasses :D

·
Just living in a van...
1,439 Posts
I have a 38" ultrawide on my 30" deep desk. Due to the stand design, the monitor sits a fair bit forward of the back edge, but this is offset since I use a keyboard tray. When I first got it it seemed large and close, but honestly now it doesn't seem bad at all. I think I could go bigger, especially if it could sit closer to the back edge.

Note: I do tend to move my head to look around, but that's largely because I use this computer for work and often have windows side-by-side. When focusing on them, it just works better to turn. For the limited gaming I have done on it, I truly don't remember how much head movement there was (if any) but I know if it was there it wasn't a distraction. I think a non-ultrawide 32" monitor at a similar viewing distance should cause no issues.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi,
Indeed

op will also find white backgrounds even more blinding than ever :)
32" should be a sweet spot for the distance but light is also a per person deal some people are less white light-sensitive some might need sunglasses :D

This is QUITE true lol! On my 27" The white whites are blinding. I use an extension in Chrome (Deluminate) which switches almost all websites from black type on white backgrounds to black backgrounds with knockout (white) type. Some other extensions do this, but it messes with pictures. Deluminate has settings to keep most picture files normal while inverting backgrounds. I also run my tablet and phone at the lowest possible brightness settings lol. I leave my gaming monitor normal for obvious reasons, but the brightness in whites does drive me nuts.

I also am the type with very sensitive eyes. (Green eyes.) Florescent lighting drives me nuts... it literally makes me feel stoned sometimes. I HATE work meetings in conference rooms with Florescent lights lol. My office at work uses all drop lighting and normal bulbs and I updated our conference room the same way. I pretty much have to wear sunglasses outside or my eyes burn and water and I basically blotted out all outside light in my home office - one for comfort and two so there are no issues with background light on my monitors. (See the ****ty and temporary blanket solution over my window, behind my monitor in the pics above lol.) I have to find better blinds for this room that look good, but blot out 99% of direct sunlight when closed. Summer time its generally not bad, but during the winter months it feels like the sun is pointed directly into my home office just to annoy me. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 38" ultrawide on my 30" deep desk. Due to the stand design, the monitor sits a fair bit forward of the back edge, but this is offset since I use a keyboard tray. When I first got it it seemed large and close, but honestly now it doesn't seem bad at all. I think I could go bigger, especially if it could sit closer to the back edge.

Note: I do tend to move my head to look around, but that's largely because I use this computer for work and often have windows side-by-side. When focusing on them, it just works better to turn. For the limited gaming I have done on it, I truly don't remember how much head movement there was (if any) but I know if it was there it wasn't a distraction. I think a non-ultrawide 32" monitor at a similar viewing distance should cause no issues.

How can you stand using a keyboard tray? Do your arms rest on your lap? I realize fully that MANY people not only don't mind this but prefer it, (including people I work with that I have talked about this very issue with lol) but it's so incredibly uncomfortable to me not to able to rest my arms on the desk when typing. I pretty much need my chest pressed up against the desk to feel comfortable lol. :) I should also say I almost always sit Indian style in my chair, which allows me to lean forward lol. People at work think I'm nuts and most cant figure out how I can still be comfortable sitting Indian style at 42 years old. Most tell me they couldn't sit Indian style if they wanted to lol.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,860 Posts
My monitor sits almost exactly arms length from me and anything over 27" is a no for me, dawg.

Thinking of replacing my secondary 23" 1080p with a 23.8" 4K panel (LG 24UD58-B), but haven't pulled the trigger yet :)

a properly adjusted chair, arm rests, and posture

Keyboard tray here too. Works great for me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
a properly adjusted chair, arm rests, and posture

I have my entire arms resting on my desk and a thin keyboard. I am not angled up. Resting your arms on your lap looks like being stuck in an uncomfortable position all day long. Cant change your sitting position. I am not a slouch, but sitting in the church lady position all day looks awful lol. :)

Plus I would need a HUGE keyboard tray considering the real-estate needed for your mouse when gaming.

·
Graphics Junkie
2,512 Posts
I have a 40 inch and 55 inch. The 40 really is the perfect size in 4k.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Right on, thanks for the opinions guys. Saw some of these monitors in person for the first time and bought a xb1 at 27" and the 32" next to them seemed pretty manageable, my cardboard cut out seemed bigger, lol. plenty of time for me to get used to 27" and when they release the 32" mini led monitors - ill be ready ;p

·
Overclocker in training
13,987 Posts
Hi,
Good choice :thumb:
Largest t.v. I have is 43" series LG and I can't imagine being closer than 8 foot from it :)

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well now that I put the monitor on the desk and gamed a little bit, I think I might of spoke to soon, lol. Of course it was only day one, but now I don't know if I can handle another 5" (awaiting the jokes ;p). 27" seems absolutely perfect, I have the back of the stand at the very edge of my desk, monitor is about an arm length away when sitting. I think I'm gonna need a deeper desk top if I go 32".

·
Premium Member
20,315 Posts
I have a 30" deep custom built desk with a 35" curved 3880x1440 monitor and find it ideal in terms of viewing distance.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thats a nice setup you have there @Robilar. Guess Ill never know until I see it in person, but your image looks like it would be ok for me. What I wanna know is that wall behind the monitor, whats going on ?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts