Overclock.net banner

30-bit and 48-bit Color Depth

10385 Views 1 Reply 2 Participants Last post by  xandypx
As per wikepedia Windows 7 will support 30-bit and 48-bit color depths

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_Windows_7

My question is what display interface supports over 32-bit? Hdmi is limited to 24-bit. I think VGA and DVI are limited to 32-bit

also would u see the diff with 32bit(actually 24bit)and 30bit+48bit

and how to enable it in windows 7
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by adventfred
View Post

As per wikepedia Windows 7 will support 30-bit and 48-bit color depths

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_Windows_7

My question is what display interface supports over 32-bit? Hdmi is limited to 24-bit. I think VGA and DVI are limited to 32-bit

also would u see the diff with 32bit(actually 24bit)and 30bit+48bit

and how to enable it in windows 7

Supposedly, the human eye cannot distinguish differences in colors beyond about 10 million colors, so anything over 24 bit is waited on the human eye. In most instances, 32bit color is actually 24bit color, with an additional 8bits of non-color information such as alpha or Z data. But based on your post, you seem to know this already.

The extra information is actually not wasted, as it helps to keep the color information more accurate during processing. Apple has been using the 30bit color depth for some time in an application extension in Photoshop. So that color information is retained during Photo editing.

as far as 48bit color... Texas Instruments first came up with this under what they called "Brilliant Color".

Another use is how ILM (Industrial Light & Magic... (Another George Lucas creation) processes colors. ILM has been using 48bit color depths in their creation of computer generated motion picture effects for some time now. This is a 16bit floating point number system, that helps define the intensity of an actual color. The extra bits allow an image to describe accurately the intensity of the sun and deep shadows in the same color space for less distortion after intensive editing.

Additionally,
Both Mitsubishi an Samsung, and probably others, are working on new televisions that use 48bit color processing. Although it is really 8 bit color, instead of the traditional 3 color system (R,G,B).. these newer Televisions are 6 color systems (R,G,B, cyan, magenta and yellow). If I am not mistaken, they currently sell some of these TVs utilizing the 6 color system.

So in a nutshell.. will you eventually see a difference... Industry says yes, because the accuracy of the colors will not be lost during processing.
See less See more
  • Rep+
Reactions: 1
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.