Overclock.net banner

30 fps video (not games) jarring on a 144hz monitor?

9K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Onasi 
#1 ·
So I just recently got a 144hz monitor, specifically the Samsung C27HG70.

I have it set to 120hz, because my GPU is a GTX 680, which apparently can't handle 144hz. When I watch 30 fps Blu-rays (youtube videos for that matter), the video is incredibly jarring. I tried to google what the problem may be, and looked up "ghosting", but it seems like that's not the issue, because it turns up the UFOTest and what I'm seeing with my Blu-rays is definitely not what I see in the ghosting test.

HOWEVER, what I'm seeing with the Blu-rays is pretty much what I'm seeing with their FPS test, which shows the UFO sliding across at different FPS (30, 60, 90). The 60 and 90 look fine, but at 30, the UFO basically looks like it's split up into two. That's very similar to what I see in the Blu-rays, in that I can see a bunch of the "in-between" frames, instead of it being blurry, as it would normally be.

Is this normal, and what most people get when they have 144hz monitors? Or am I experiencing some kind of defect?

Because what I'm also getting with this monitor is a flashy red screen whenever I boot up, before the Windows splash screen pops up. This isn't the "red screen of death", though, because it boots up perfectly normally, and I don't see the flashing red once I get into windows. Could the flashing red screen still be an indication something is wrong with my monitor? And the jarring 30 fps video is somehow related to that?

Or are those two unrelated things, and the jarring 30 fps is normal for 144hz screens?

See less See more
#2 ·
To be quite honest with you, 30 FPS content looks "jarring" on any monitor. It looks deficient to me, even in 60 Hz monitors. It might be exacerbated for you, though, if your overdrive setting is set to anything other than Standard, which will activate strobing and make the less fluid sub-60 FPS content even more obviously... less fluid.

If you have strobing on, try setting the monitor to Standard for movie watching.

#3 ·
I guess what I'm asking is, does 30 fps at 30/60hz look different than 30 fps at 120/144hz? Because that's what I'm experiencing now... 30 fps with my Dell U2715H, which was 60hz wasn't actually all that jarring, I think because it had motion blur.

And yes, I've turned off all overdrive settings, so no strobing on.

#5 · (Edited)
Well, 120/144 Hz monitors tend to have better response times, so the low framerate could look more noticeably slow. Like you said, 60 Hz with higher response times, with more blur, can hide the lack of fluidity a little better.

Do note, though, that 120 Hz is better for 24/30 fps content simply because it's a product of a natural factor (5x24, 4x30), while 144 Hz is only so for 24. Perhaps the lack of proper frame pacing could exacerbate what you're experiencing.

#4 ·
Yes, at least on 144 hz (or 165) the 30 or 60 FPS videos will look a bit off, although usually this is almost impossible to notice. Has to do with the inability of the framerate of the video to be evenly multiplied to the refresh rate. However it should not (in theory) happen at 120 hz.

#7 ·
Yes, it does. It's just the nature of the beast. 30 might be a framerate that, to most people, represents the border between a slideshow and actual moving content. 20 FPS even looks less "jarring" to me, as you put it, because my brain doesn't even register the UFO as a moving object; more like a series of still frames being displaying at a pace.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.