Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am struggling here. I will have the money for one of those big, beautiful, 30" displays soon. But I am trying to convince myself not to buy it. Anyone that owns one, is it worth the money? I would use it for gaming mostly, and general computer related tasks. I currently have a 24" Sceptre.

Is it worth it? Will I see that much of a difference? I am just truing to come to terms with spending 1300 bucks or so on a monitor.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
as long as it's larger than a 1920x1200 resolution.. after that it's up to your personal preferences in terms of color accuracy and quality.

i personally wouldn't buy a TN 30"..imo the area is so large you probably would get a vignetting effect towards the edges if you sit at a certain distance.

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
Yes it'll be worth it.

Though; gaming at that res will struggle in some games for you; the picture quality is absolutely beautiful and you can game at large resolutions and have the game in Windowed mode.

·
Premium Member
7,798 Posts
Play on a 1400x900 resolution, then play on a 1920x1200 resolution. Now you can imagine 1600p, the difference is just as big as the difference ging from 1440x900 to 1920x1200. Limited by the games texture and object quality of course...

@ez12a

Every 30" should be an IPS panel IIRC...

For browsing, definately worth it.

For gaming, only if you can run it...

Source: I have tried a couple of them at a store, while gaming even. I obviously don't have one for myself...

·
Solar Junkie
680 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fantasysage View Post
So I am struggling here. I will have the money for one of those big, beautiful, 30" displays soon. But I am trying to convince myself not to buy it. Anyone that owns one, is it worth the money? I would use it for gaming mostly, and general computer related tasks. I currently have a 24" Sceptre.

Is it worth it? Will I see that much of a difference? I am just truing to come to terms with spending 1300 bucks or so on a monitor.
Heya,

It comes down to resolution, not size, really. 30" monitors can have huge resolution, and that's why you get them--not because they're just `big.' If you just want big, you can get huge LED TV's for that cost. Resolution is what you want though--resolution is quality and workspace. Everything looks so wonderful at super high resolutions. If that's what you're looking for, then the 30" is what you should get. I think it's obvious you're not just looking for a bigger display to game on (otherwise, you'd have already settled for like a 42"~50" LED 120Hz HDTV or something at that price range). So the question becomes whether or not you think high resolution gaming is going to be worth the difference of a $300 monitor, to spend $1000 more to gain that resolution bump when you move to the 30". If you want the best quality, then yes, it'll cost you and you'll enjoy that 30".

To give you an idea of where I'm coming from, I'm the kind of guy who also can't talk himself into buying a 30" monitor for $1300. Instead, I look at that sum of cash and think: "How many displays could I get?". I go that route myself, because I like to do a lot of different things at the same time on my machine(s). I have a 37" 1080p display and then a bunch of 23" displays and some other smaller ones for various tasks.

Looks like this:

For gaming, I game on my 37" for games that won't let me use Eyefinity. If the games support Eyefinity, I game on the three 23" panels (5760x1080p resolution). Otherwise, I just like to browse lots of sites, keep an eye on my server(s) (folding, file share, cameras, torrenting, etc).

So as you can see, for my needs, a bunch of average displays worked out for what I do with my setup. I always feel like I'm running out of space for what I do--I need more resolution. But I fix that by adding more displays, as that's more resolution for the money for me (I can't talk myself into expensive displays for higher resolution per display, kinda cheap).

For your needs, if all you plan on doing is pure gaming, a single high resolution monitor would be more appropriate.

-- So get that 30" if all you want to do is have the best quality gaming image you can get; meaning, the best resolution for a single big display you can achieve--which is what a high quality gaming machine should be powering in the first place! (After all, why build a $2k gaming machine just to stare at a single little 1080p resolution LCD that is no bigger than 2 feet across, bleh).

Go high res. Get the 30".

Very best,

• Rep+
Reactions: Fantasysage

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sig rig would be powering it.

I am looking into the HP ZR30w by the way. I hear it is the best for gaming.

EDIT: The main reason I am getting this is for the 2560X1600. I should have been more clear

·
Registered
329 Posts
Do you know anyone with a similar sized monitor (edit: with same resolution) who may let you swap for a week to try it out? I know that's a bit far fetched, but 24" is pretty decent sized and $1300 could upgrade a lot of other components.

Personal choice, however, if you feel that your monitor needs upgrading. After all; your computer can run blazingly fast but it all funnels through your monitor in the end (not literally, but you get my point), so it's an important part of your setup.

·
Premium Member
11,125 Posts
Yeah, it's totally worth it if you can afford it, the extra screen real estate is very useful and great to have. I went from 1920 x 1080 to 2560 x 1440 and the difference is amazing, plus the colours (is the SR30w an IPS Panel?) are much deeper and richer compared to a regular LCD.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by MicahFett View Post
Do you know anyone with a similar sized monitor who may let you swap for a week to try it out? I know that's a bit far fetched, but 24" is pretty decent sized and $1300 could upgrade a lot of other components.

Personal choice, however, if you feel that your monitor needs upgrading. After all; your computer can run blazingly fast but it all funnels through your monitor in the end (not literally, but you get my point), so it's an important part of your setup.

One reason I am willing to drop the cash is I know it will last 5 years or more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokinWaffle View Post
Yeah, it's totally worth it if you can afford it, the extra screen real estate is very useful and great to have. I went from 1920 x 1080 to 2560 x 1440 and the difference is amazing, plus the colours (is the SR30w an IPS Panel?) are much deeper and richer compared to a regular LCD.
Yeah, the HP is S-IPS with a full gamut.

·
Premium Member
3,104 Posts
For $1300 couldn't you buy a nice 40''+ tv to be a monitor? To me, that would seem like the better deal but I may be just plain wrong.

Edit: lol of course I missed the post before explaining it. Disregard this useless post but free bump nonetheless

·
Banned
332 Posts
I have a 30" apple cinema display that was ungodly expensive

Let me tell you, when my video cards are up for it, it is 100% worth every dollar.

Gotta tell you though, You're paying a lot for a display, You WILL spend the money to have the video cards pump out the resolution for it

my 24" is 1920x1200 = 2,304,000
30" 2560 x 1600 = 4,096,000

Double the pixels to render, you're gonna need a lot more GPU to keep up with games the same way.

I hate that my GPU's need to be the top dollar, but in the end of the day, if you can afford it much like I can -IT IS SO AWESOME!

Dazzle yourself every day, and every one of your friends.

Edit: also, screw getting the cheaper 40" plus TV's. They will never have the same pixel density or panel clarity that most 30 inch monitors do. IE: the DELL 3007WFP or Apple Cinema displays

·
Premium Member
11,125 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dar_T View Post
For $1300 couldn't you buy a nice 40''+ tv to be a monitor? To me, that would seem like the better deal but I may be just plain wrong.
It's not the size, it's the resoloution with 30" monitors. Trust me, I'd take this, or a 30" over a 40" TV any day.

On topic, I'd go for it if you have the money, I thought of my monitor more of an investment as they don't really age (Well, CRT's, but I digress), I'd say go ahead and get it, I can assure you that you won't be dissapointed. I was truly amazed about the colour depth and clarity compared to my old BenQ 24".

For instance, look at my screen space;

You know you want it

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dar_T View Post

Edit: lol of course I missed the post before explaining it. Disregard this useless post but free bump nonetheless
a 40" TV doesnt have the resolution a 30" LCD has. Most of them are stuck with 1080p. Plus i think the dot pitch would be a lot larger on the TV. the LCD's dot pitch would be more fine and actually suited for computer use.

edit: missed your edit.

·
Premium Member
7,711 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokinWaffle View Post
It's not the size, it's the resoloution with 30" monitors. Trust me, I'd take this, or a 30" over a 40" TV any day.

On topic, I'd go for it if you have the money, I thought of my monitor more of an investment as they don't really age (Well, CRT's, but I digress), I'd say go ahead and get it, I can assure you that you won't be dissapointed. I was truly amazed about the colour depth and clarity compared to my old BenQ 24".

For instance, look at my screen space;

You know you want it

It depends on what you are doing. For my work, I'd take several smaller 4:3 or 5:4 panels over one massive one any day. Gaming is another story, since few games can deal with even dual-link DVI based dual/multi-head.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Contingent upon where you game, i.e. living room, office at a desk, etc., I storngly recommend looking at buying an HDTV for gaming. I bought my 58" plasma for 1200 at Best Buy a year ago, I'm sure there are better deals elsewhere. Again it's pretty much contingent on what you want. Maybe get 2 monitors identical to the one you already have, so you can multitask/fully immerse yourself in the game. your money, your call.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just got a Dell 3007WFP for $265 at an auction. It's been worth every penny but it came with a broken stand so I'll have to buy one or get a VESA mount and put it on the wall.

·
Premium Member
11,125 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fanofou View Post
I just got a Dell 3007WFP for $265 at an auction. It's been worth every penny but it came with a broken stand so I'll have to buy one or get a VESA mount and put it on the wall.

That price is insanely cheap, nice!

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks again for the help guys.,

I actually sit 5 feet from a 50" plasma where I game. But there is no way to comfortably play it and I would need a new receiver to do the audio correctly:

That is taken from my desk chair.

This is my desk as of a while ago, but pretty much the same:

I think I will ditch the 19" and that 15" dell is no longer there, and have the 24" with a stand in portrait to the left.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts