Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I have a 3000+ Winchester, A8N SLI Deluxe and 2x 512 Twinmos Twinx 2.5CL.

I can OC my cpu to 2100Mhz, when i'm moving it further my system won't run stable...
maybe it has something to do with my ram-timings?

http://www.vylix.be/timings.JPG

here u can see my timings in A64-tweaker

what can I change?

thx
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,606 Posts
WAOH! dude your timings are way to high!!! u want the TRCD, TRRD, and TRP should all be around 3, try setting it to that, then the TRAS set to like 10. then the TRC and TRFC u want at around 12 and 15, not nessasarly the same as that, but alot lower then what u have now. the settings that u have bring performace down a TON! lower them, and then to overclock, maybe increase the vcore by 1 notch. also try increaseing the ram voltage 1 step to...If u neeed to know more, check out the AMD guide on the homepage
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,589 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by tekn0

Hi! I have a 3000+ Winchester, A8N SLI Deluxe and 2x 512 Twinmos Twinx 2.5CL.

I can OC my cpu to 2100Mhz, when i'm moving it further my system won't run stable...
maybe it has something to do with my ram-timings?

http://www.vylix.be/timings.JPG

here u can see my timings in A64-tweaker

what can I change?

thx

Welcome to the forums!

Are you currently using a SATA harddrive? If so, what sata port are you using?

Also, what is your HTT (or LDT) Multiplier at? Dont say 9, thats your cpu multiplier.

You're right at the point where your SATA and or HTT is starting to get out of range. I'll be honest, I've never seen anything like that tweaker pic, and I'm a little confused (RAM has always gone a little over my head)

It looks to me like you've got everything loosened up PLENTY to get more FSB, so it leads me to believe its something else.

So, lemme know more about your system, and we'll go from there.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,606 Posts
actaully, im not sure, but u shouldnt need to change your HTT until after your fsb gets over like 245 fsb or higher, then u should lower it. but your board does have a pci lock, so make sure thats enabled at 33. but im not sure what u mean that sata is out of range....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,589 Posts
Some boards have up to 4 or more SATA ports, and you will find that MANY of them have an unlocked pair. When I say unlocked, I mean just like an AGP/PCI frequency being unlocked. The SATA ports work in a particular FSB range if they are unlocked, and stop working after passing that range.

Ask *******
He couldn't get past 230~ or so...now he's pushing 290 after swapping sata ports.

HTT is a tricky thing. Often times, they too have a certain range they will work in, and I've noticed a trend with most socket 939's being tricky if their HTT freq is above 1200, (above 1000 for 754's).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xavier1421
Welcome to the forums!

Are you currently using a SATA harddrive? If so, what sata port are you using?

Also, what is your HTT (or LDT) Multiplier at? Dont say 9, thats your cpu multiplier.

You're right at the point where your SATA and or HTT is starting to get out of range. I'll be honest, I've never seen anything like that tweaker pic, and I'm a little confused (RAM has always gone a little over my head)

It looks to me like you've got everything loosened up PLENTY to get more FSB, so it leads me to believe its something else.

So, lemme know more about your system, and we'll go from there.
Thanks all!

My HTT: 216.46

Currently my cpu is running @ 1948Mhz (37°C stressed)

I'm not using a SATA drive

I'm using an Asus A8N Sli deluxe mobo..
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
789 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xavier1421
Some boards have up to 4 or more SATA ports, and you will find that MANY of them have an unlocked pair. When I say unlocked, I mean just like an AGP/PCI frequency being unlocked. The SATA ports work in a particular FSB range if they are unlocked, and stop working after passing that range.

Ask *******
He couldn't get past 230~ or so...now he's pushing 290 after swapping sata ports.

HTT is a tricky thing. Often times, they too have a certain range they will work in, and I've noticed a trend with most socket 939's being tricky if their HTT freq is above 1200, (above 1000 for 754's).
Amen to that dude... My computer was doomed at 230 and I was quite dissapointed after trying every last thing to get it working. Turned out that my locked SATA ports were 1&2 instead of 3&4 (the ports that I was using), after switching to 1&2, i let the madness begin
(thx Xav! w00t w00t!)

On a side note, I didn't have to lower my HTT from 5x until around 270fsb... I can't remember what it's at now but it's at 3x or 4x at 290fsb.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,589 Posts
Think we can shed light on his memory issues Frag?

I'm at a loss on this one, don't know enough about the system to make any real good suggestions
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
789 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xavier1421
Think we can shed light on his memory issues Frag?

I'm at a loss on this one, don't know enough about the system to make any real good suggestions

I think your first step would to be to stop using A64 tweaker for your memory timings and start tweaking in your BIOS. Start your mem timings loose, drop your HTT to 4x, and see how far you can get your fsb to go. A good starting point for your memory would be approximately 3-5-5-10. That should let you know just how far you can take your fsb based on memory performance.

Another good question, what's your vdimm and vcore set at? You should have your vdimm 2.8 or higher. What kind of CPU cooling do you have? Considering it's decent at best, bump your vcore up +.1 (1.5).

Give some of those suggestions a try and report back.

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,589 Posts
For OCing purposes, I'd leave CoolnQuiet disabled.

I'd also lock down your PCI frequency, your clockgen is showing 222, and a PCI freq of 37...your PCI should stay at 33 for best stability.

Thats all the suggestions I've got for now.

Have you picked up your ram voltages at all? 2.8-2.9 or so should be suffice for now.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
789 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by tekn0

ok then


I just reset my BIOS
Cool & Quiet is enabled..
I have a 6800GT
2x 512 Twinmos Twinx (2.5CL)
a 3000+ Winchester cpu
a Maxtor 120GB HD 7200rpm
a NEC 3520 DVD Writer

my timings: www.vylix.be/timings.JPG
my temps: www.vylix.be/pcprobe.JPG
my clocks: www.vylix.be/clockgen.JPG

enough?


I can't stress enough how this should all be done in the BIOS and not in Windows....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
again, thanks all for your help!

these are my settings in the BIOS:

jumperfree configuration
overclock profile: manual
cpu freq: 200
PCI Express clock: 100
DDR voltage: AUTO (highest I can select is 3.00V)
CPU multi: AUTO (highest I can select is 9x)
CPU volt: AUTO (highest is 1.650V)

CPU Config
Hyper Transport Freq: AUTO (highest is 5x)
Cool & Quiet: Disabled

DRAM configuration
max memclock: AUTO (Highest is DDR600)
1T/2T memory timing: AUTO (highest is 2T)
TCL: AUTO (Highest is 3.0)
TRCD: AUTO (Highest is 7)
TRAS: AUTO (Highest is 15)
TRP: AUTO (Highest is 6)
Master ECC Enable: Disabled

I hope this is enough information
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,589 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tekn0
again, thanks all for your help!

these are my settings in the BIOS:

jumperfree configuration
overclock profile: manual
cpu freq: 200
PCI Express clock: 100
DDR voltage: AUTO (highest I can select is 3.00V)
CPU multi: AUTO (highest I can select is 9x)
CPU volt: AUTO (highest is 1.650V)

CPU Config
Hyper Transport Freq: AUTO (highest is 5x)
Cool & Quiet: Disabled

DRAM configuration
max memclock: AUTO (Highest is DDR600)
1T/2T memory timing: AUTO (highest is 2T)
TCL: AUTO (Highest is 3.0)
TRCD: AUTO (Highest is 7)
TRAS: AUTO (Highest is 15)
TRP: AUTO (Highest is 6)
Master ECC Enable: Disabled

I hope this is enough information

very nice, here's what you should try:

jumperfree configuration
overclock profile: manual
cpu freq: 200
PCI Express clock: 100
DDR voltage: 2.9
CPU multi: AUTO (highest I can select is 9x)
CPU volt: 1.6 (if your cooling can handle the temps this produces)

CPU Config
Hyper Transport Freq: AUTO (highest is 5x)
Cool & Quiet: Disabled

DRAM configuration
max memclock: AUTO (Highest is DDR600)
1T/2T memory timing: 1T
TCL: 3
TRCD: 4
TRAS: 10
TRP: 4
Master ECC Enable: Disabled

Is there any way you can change the PCI frequency (not PCI-E), you really need to find a way in bios to lock your PCI frequency to AUTO or 33.

With your memory config'd the same way as above, then you should be able to increase in steps of 5 MHz at a time. Each time you raise your HTT(FSB) you should let it boot into windows. Each successful boot means you can raise another 5...and so on.

Keep on eye on your PCI frequency, you don't want it passing 38MHz (use clockgen to monitor that)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xavier1421
very nice, here's what you should try:

jumperfree configuration
overclock profile: manual
cpu freq: 200
PCI Express clock: 100
DDR voltage: 2.9
CPU multi: AUTO (highest I can select is 9x)
CPU volt: 1.6 (if your cooling can handle the temps this produces)

CPU Config
Hyper Transport Freq: AUTO (highest is 5x)
Cool & Quiet: Disabled

DRAM configuration
max memclock: AUTO (Highest is DDR600)
1T/2T memory timing: 1T
TCL: 3
TRCD: 4
TRAS: 10
TRP: 4
Master ECC Enable: Disabled

Is there any way you can change the PCI frequency (not PCI-E), you really need to find a way in bios to lock your PCI frequency to AUTO or 33.

With your memory config'd the same way as above, then you should be able to increase in steps of 5 MHz at a time. Each time you raise your HTT(FSB) you should let it boot into windows. Each successful boot means you can raise another 5...and so on.

Keep on eye on your PCI frequency, you don't want it passing 38MHz (use clockgen to monitor that)

ok all set

no in didn't find anything to lock my pci freq.. maybe I should update to BIOS 1003?

but i don't have any floppy drive :/
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,589 Posts
Not when using the manufacturers updater.

Your only other option is a pretty intense way using CD, making it bootable, and executing a command line...try the asus updater first
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top