Overclock.net banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am thinking of upgrading my motherboard and proc but as allways money is a problem. I was thinking of buying one of the below boards and a 3000+ to try and bump my performance. Just have 2 quick questions.

Do you think I will see much of a performance gain with this chip overclocked in comparison to my current setup?

If so which of the below AGP boards would you recomend for overclocking?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,145 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Far2gud
Hi

I am thinking of upgrading my motherboard and proc but as allways money is a problem. I was thinking of buying one of the below boards and a 3000+ to try and bump my performance. Just have 2 quick questions.

Do you think I will see much of a performance gain with this chip overclocked in comparison to my current setup?

If so which of the below AGP boards would you recomend for overclocking?

Thanks

You will see much improvement. I didn't think my 3200+ would be any better than my barton. Even at a lower speed, it's much faster. has much better memory controller and a way faster fsb. You're looking for a 939 venice a64 right?

·
Banned
3,169 Posts
you cant really go wrong with a 3000 or a 3200+ 64, good cheap cpu and will overclock well. best bang for the buck around probably, or if you can get a 144 opty, should be similar price at the moment. (here anyway)

·
Banned
3,169 Posts
a bit cheaper than 939 then.........mmm......maybe save up a tad more and go 939??? you will be happier in the end.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 144,s are about 300 euro over here (ripoff ireland) so thats that out the window.

For less than 200 I can get the winchester and a new board.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
The winnies are good they are 90nm and oc good.
Dont know about your mobo. The 3000 venice is really nice I have one.

·
Banned
3,169 Posts
gees, when in stock I can get a 144 for less than 300 bucks compared to a 3000+ for about 250 bucks. On the other hand would it take you too long to get the cash for a 939 rig or do you just need to upgrade soon.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I have not really paid attention to the winnie's much, but I thought they were all 939.

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Winnies have kind of a flaky memory controller. I think a lot of them have a cold bug, too. I know if you have a MSI Neo4 and a Winchester you can pretty much kiss overclocking goodbye unless you want to use Clockgen forever. I'd stick with a Venice or newer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts